what to choose ?

mickbristol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
looking for sat
My Location
bristol
hello
sorry i am quite new to satellite so my questions could be stupid...

_id like to receive NASN setanta sports channels via sat, but i guess i need a sat and a receiver...i dunno which one to take..if they are all compatible ..etc.. best performance... etc...
so please feel free to send some links with good plans for buying it.

_i also dont have a tv (yet) but as long as possible id like to watch my sat on my laptop... is it possible ? what do i need ? compatible with the receiver? am i dreaming ?

_why i would like by sat it's because i wouldn't pay all the other channels i am not interested in if i had to subscribe to skytv.

Many thanks for your comments, dont hesitate to speak like if you would speak to a baby cuz im really novice.
and sorry if that question has been on other forums so many times

:-worship

thanks

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum mickbristol

Well I have to confess I am not too well up on Setanta so my answers are based upon my understanding of the current situation and I am sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I am wrong.

mickbristol said:
_id like to receive NASN setanta sports channels via sat, but i guess i need a sat and a receiver...i dunno which one to take..if they are all compatible ..etc.. best performance... etc...
so please feel free to send some links with good plans for buying it.

The answer to that question follows with the answer to the next
mickbristol said:
_why I would like by sat it's because i wouldn't pay all the other channels i am not interested in if i had to subscribe to skytv.

Well you have a problem then because sky control the setanta sports channel distribution in the UK therefore you would have to pay them or use an alternative method for example digital terrestrial transmissions and pay TUTV instead
mickbristol said:
_i also dont have a tv (yet) but as long as possible id like to watch my sat on my laptop... is it possible ? what do i need ? compatible with the receiver? am i dreaming ?
Via satellite from sky on your laptop.... yes you are dreaming.

Why are you wanting to limit yourself to just one channel anyway?

What sport is it you are wanting to watch?

mickbristol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
looking for sat
My Location
bristol
hello :)

thanks for your reply

id like to watch the NHL ice hockey matches only
i guessed it could be hard to have just one channel as it normally comes in a package.
but i have seen on the NASN website that this channel is independant than the others, and they say the different possibilities to get it, and they say it's possible to get it even if we are not on sky tv and if we have a sat decoder.

http://www.nasn.com/content/nasn/portal.nsf/systemcontent/howtogetuk

i thought it was possible on a pc, as i have seen some tv tuner card digital like hauppauge. i forgor the names but i have seen some on usb as well...

otherwise i was tempted to subscribe to this software to watch tv online
but im affrai about getting nasn, affraid about the quality (for the ice hockey i need quite a good quality).

i have tryied sopcast and otherones but i spend more time to wait the channel to load than enjoying watching it. plus ther's a lot of la which makes the program hard to enjoy.

have you got the experience of got sofwares like that ?

many thanks and happy easter :-doh2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mickbristol said:
hello :)
id like to watch the NHL ice hockey matches only
i guessed it could be hard to have just one channel as it normally comes in a package.
but i have seen on the NASN website that this channel is independant than the others, and they say the different possibilities to get it, and they say it's possible to get it even if we are not on sky tv and if we have a sat decoder.

Well why not ask them how?
decoder_subtext_ie.gif

mickbristol said:
i thought it was possible on a pc, as i have seen some tv tuner card digital like hauppauge. i forgor the names but i have seen some on usb as well...

Well yes on usb there are DVB-T tuners indeed I have one myself but that is for terrestrial digital transmissions. Yes there are some cards for satellite transmissions but they are for desktops pc's not laptops, that I am aware of. Also even if there was one available for laptop, you would still need to plug the lnb cable into the laptop which therefore makes a nonsence of using a laptop as the laptop then loses it's portability.
mickbristol said:
otherwise i was tempted to subscribe to this software to watch tv online
but im affrai about getting nasn, affraid about the quality (for the ice hockey i need quite a good quality).
i have tryied sopcast and otherones but i spend more time to wait the channel to load than enjoying watching it. plus ther's a lot of la which makes the program hard to enjoy.
have you got the experience of got sofwares like that ?

I personally would not dream of using that method as even if you had an 8Mb/sec broadband link you are still at the mercy of what they have at the other end and all the stages in between. For example just for me to connect to this website I am making 14 hops through different places.

mickbristol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
looking for sat
My Location
bristol
i have call NASN and there is a way to receive setanta sport channels independantely.
this is a package of 9 channels. which gonna cost 15 pounds a month with a 12 months contract minimum.
this is if you have your own equipment (dec satellite etc..)

otherwise there is still the possibility to subscribe via telewest or ntl.

for the usb receiver.
i have got the PCTV tuner usb2. but the input is not a scart plug, just a normal antenna. do you think i can find a receiver with a normal input plug ? and pass throught my pctv usb2 ?

another maybe silly question. but as i ont have a tv , i dont have a tv license.
if i get this equipment for satellite and if i get only those channel sports, do you think i still have to pay the tv license ? (i think we pay it for the basic channel..bbc itv... etc...)

:toke:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
mickbristol said:
i have call NASN and there is a way to receive setanta sport channels independantely.
this is a package of 9 channels. which gonna cost 15 pounds a month with a 12 months contract minimum.
this is if you have your own equipment (dec satellite etc..)
otherwise there is still the possibility to subscribe via telewest or ntl.

Perhaps but you still have to buy a sky box and get a freeview card it would seem looking at their website again
Anyhow I thought you just wanted just the one channel. That is a lot of money every month just to watch a game of ice hockey:eek:
mickbristol said:
for the usb receiver.
i have got the PCTV tuner usb2. but the input is not a scart plug, just a normal antenna. do you think i can find a receiver with a normal input plug ? and pass throught my pctv usb2 ?
I think you mean normal output plug don't you, I doubt the two could be somehow linked together but I honestly have no idea.
mickbristol said:
another maybe silly question. but as i ont have a tv , i dont have a tv license.
if i get this equipment for satellite and if i get only those channel sports, do you think i still have to pay the tv license ? (i think we pay it for the basic channel..bbc itv... etc...)

Sorry but of course you do...... you have to pay your TV license even if you watch it on your mobile phone and don't have a TV.