what's available in eastern europe???

wallonthefly

Reaction score
Well, I'm familiar with the satellite systems in North America, but know very little about what's available in Europe, etc. I want to know if it's possible to pick up the 13.0, 19.2 & 28.2 birds from southern Ukraine? Will a standard dish with universal LNBs will work?

If not, what's the best bird to get English stations from there? Is there any decent FTA? What's the status of the "tester" scene in Europe?

Sorry for the all the questions, a true newbie on this side, so any info would be great, thanks again.

-wotf

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The three satellites you mention are all available in the Ukraine with a relatively small dish, circa 1m should be fine fo most of their output. Astra 2D at 28.2E transmits the BBC channels but would probably require something in excess of 4 metres in size.

Lots of testing available, but changing all of the time, have a look in the Dreambox section, Matrix section and the Encryption sections for more details,

wallonthefly

Reaction score
So, I'm guessing the 18"x24" oval dishes won't cut it? What bird and network would I have the best luck with? Looking for english stations, US & UK.

How about ird, card, & programmers?? Any recommendations?

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
wallonthefly said:
So, I'm guessing the 18"x24" oval dishes won't cut it? What bird and network would I have the best luck with? Looking for english stations, US & UK.

How about ird, card, & programmers?? Any recommendations?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am in Kiev and have Sky (via a UK contract). I can pick up everything (inc sky sports, setanta and movie channels) on 28.2 except BBC and ITV. I have a 1.8M dish although I would advise having a 2M.

Its possible to pick up the interactive BBC 1 channels FTA on a non sky digibox if you programme the channels manually. The interactive channels are beamed on the Astra 2b south beam not 2D like the main BBC 1 & 2. Check Freq 12441V (http://www.lyngsat.com/28east.html)

You can also pick up BBC World, Prime, Euronews and CNN on hotbird although Prime is encrypted.

Other than that get a 1.5m motorised dish a multisystem digibox and you can pick up

30W Hipasat
4W Amos
1W Thor
5E Sirius
13E Hotbird
19.2E Astra
36E Eutelsat
80E Express
90E Yamal

keys are in the usual places and should give you a good spread of movies and sport.

wallonthefly

Reaction score
Great info, I really appreciate the feedback. If I go SKY, what's your recommendation on the 2M dish? Any URL's to point me in the right direction? How many birds does SKY broadcast on? Also, if I go with the 1.5M motorized, again where would I buy such a thing online?

Now for IRD's... Do they need to be JTAG friendly? What's the best for SKY, and as a multisystem digibox?

If I go SKY sub, how do you get around non-residency??

Sorry for tons of questions, thanks again.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go for Sky UK, then you need a dedicated digibox and need to buy a subscription card from one of the suppliers to overseas customers, unless you have friends in the UK. The Sky digibox will not control a motorised system, you will need a separate receiver for that.

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland
rolfw said:
If you go for Sky UK, then you need a dedicated digibox and need to buy a subscription card from one of the suppliers to overseas customers, unless you have friends in the UK. The Sky digibox will not control a motorised system, you will need a separate receiver for that.

Thanks for this ROLF

Yes its either

OPTION 1
A 1.8M static dish pointed at sky with a subscription.

Digibox, card and subscription from an online retailer and dish, LNB, other hardware purchased locally.

Satellite hardware is exceptionally cheap in Ukraine. (My 1.8M dish cost 245 US Dollars (inc LNB and other hardware) + 50 Dollars for installation). :)

I bought my digibox on Ebay and have a private subscription (UK retailers now operate for overseas customers and offer decent value).

OPTION 2
Or a 1.5M motorised dish with multisystem purchased from a local satellite retailer with the keys etc in the normal places. Again inexpensive by comparison with western Europe (300 - 450 USD or so).

Your probably best to contact a local satellite installer they can help you more. Just let them know that you want all the satellites listed above, as they tend only to offer Viasat unless you push them.

Stuart

wallonthefly

Reaction score
So I'm assuming it's not possible to hack SKY, and it's best to go with a sub, right? Are all of their channels off of one bird? What are the hardware recommendations for receivers, etc?? The testing scene is pretty strong in North America, usually by writing sub'd tiers, etc. Is it similiar over there, or are most people legit?

stuzeeuk

Dont eat yellow snow
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax 88, mulitblock
13E, 19E, 28E
DM 800HD
My Location
Glasgow, Scotland