whats' best Router Firewall for BT

gerryl

Reaction score
*M8 got BT 1Gb broadband and is getting hammered by attacks and virus (by the minute!)..300Mb by the day 1Gb limit is fooked and BT say he should sort it out!!!

Installed AVAST and MSAntispyware the problem is somewhat 75% sorted but as the PC is blocking all the attacks would prefer if this was sorted by hardware router...hence any recommendations!!!... looked at

Netgear DG834 Modem Router + Firewall*(£50 PCworld Business account !)

:-doh!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Sounds like the computer has got a selection of trojans on it. I'd get the anti virus software up to date and then pull it off the connection until its fixed properly.

If the friend regularly visits mp3 download or mature content sites its almost certain the computer is seriously compromised.

The more extreme thing to do is to either wipe the hdd and re-install the o/s from scratch (back up required data files FIRST!) or roll back to a restore point set before the problems started (assuming you are using xp).

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Another tip is to download the zone alarm firewall. This gives you warning of whats trying to access the internet off your computer, and whats incoming too. This may give you an idea of where the problem(s) lie

gerryl

Reaction score
PC is clean...according to AVAST, MSAntispyware and AVG...no need to be surfing the web to see the attacks, just need ta be online AVAST lists attacks via pop-up menu, know about ZoneAlarm, Outpost etc...but would prefer the hardware approach, hence was wondering what folk's are recommending

was looking at Netgear DG834 Modem Router with built-in Firewall...

any recommendations welcome :-Welcome1

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
gerryl said:
no need to be surfing the web to see the attacks, just need ta be online

Of course - your computer is "available" to whatever programme has taken a liking to your ip address.

The zone alarm suggestion was just an interim suggestion until you get a hardware solution sorted out.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
BT's Voyager 240 at £60 or the 1500 with wireless connectivity for £5 extra might be worth checking out. Both have good firewall protection.

I have the 1500 and the firewall seems pretty efficient.

Llew