Whats going on at Dream & DM500?!

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
So,

Just about to give up on a DM500-S or Relook 400S (hard to get) and buy a Technomate 1500CI+ for now.

What is going on with Dream? They announced a new DM500 with disk support back in August:

Dream Multimedia News Bullitin said:
"Newly made is also the DM 500 PVR. The smallest Linux-receiver in the world is now equipped with pluggable plug & play single tuner either for DVB-S, -C, and –T. On top of that the PVR-box is featured with a standard 2,5-inch hard disk and hence, becomes most probably the smallest Linux-based hard disk receiver worldwide."

And I notice that they went to the new DM500S with the ALPS plug-in tuner late last year, but all the vendors now seem to be out of stock AND the price has gone from £129 in November to £149 and some stores are now showing £159/£169?!

Whats going on at Dream, anyone got any ideas?

Is this the new DM-500S model with disk support coming, hence the price hike? Or is it just Dream being cheeky as normal!

This page is interesting as it shows the insides of the "current" unit, and there is no disk header I can see.

Anyone got any info?... impatience means Technomate for me, but I want to live the Dream and have Linux and the ability to use VLC really!

Paul.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
What about the 7000s loads of plug ins available, Bigger box and hd but after 2yrs with it no problems.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
john_graydon said:
What about the 7000s loads of plug ins available, Bigger box and hd but after 2yrs with it no problems.

Hi John,

I think the 70xx series are massivly overpriced for what they are to be honest, and not worth £300...

I actually ideally want to record to a network share as I have a small low power PC I leave on 24x7 for web site email etc in the Garage, and better spinning noisy disks in the garage than the lounge! So the 500 is ideal for this.

The Relook 400S is tempting, but support seems a little limited, so I am am settled on the 500S but no one seems to have any in stock, and the prices seem to go up weekly!

I really want a cheaper box for now, see how it goes then when HD is more common I am sure there will be more boxes, and things like the TD and Relook are going to overtake the Dream IMHO as they have more memory (96MB TD vs 64MB Dreambox from memory) as the cams get more complex and memory hungry.

Just wondered if anyone had managed to get a 500S recently, and if they have looked inside it for a disk connector ;) or had a reply from Dream on an enquiry, cause they seem to be ignoring me!

Paul.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There are a couple on ebay at the moment Here's one.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
There are a couple on ebay at the moment Here's one.
Thanks Rolf, if you look at the page on the Dream site I linked in my original post (about the conterfiet boxes) the pictures of the remote on the dream site would seem to suggest that this is NOT the latest version of the box, which has a large Silver remote.

I got put off to be honest in the end with the thought of DM500 and motor current issues, just ordered a Technomate 1500CI+ super which I am sure will be fine for now.

Getting too frustrated to wait any longer... perhaps I will get a Dreambox in a few months, or maybe a relook or TD...

Want to stop talking about SatTV on Forums and start watching it!

Paul.

EDIT: I can always by a SkyStar for the PC to record with ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you want to have a play with a Skystar2, let me know, I'm just about to dismantle the PC it's in. :)

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
If you want to have a play with a Skystar2, let me know, I'm just about to dismantle the PC it's in. :)

Thanks Rolf, thats a generous offer.

I am holding back a bit, as I fear I am leaping in with both feet as always ;) To be honest I was close to getting a relook 400s, but then to use the twin tuners in anger I would need to buy a twin/quad LNB to replace the single Invacom 0.3 I already bought when I ordered a Moteck from dvb-shop24.net.

I think I will get the Technomate (ordered now) up and running, which in itself has "options" for playing with :D If we start to use the Sat TV a lot, I will look to get a Quad LNB and either a relook, Dreambox 70xx (although I still think they are overpriced) or perhaps a skystar in the PC.

Cheers

Paul.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
I have added a 256md stick to the usb on the db so memory aint a problem any more. and with the seagate 160gb hd you wouldnt even know it was running. Must have recorded hundreds of hours on it. You might regret not getting one later down the line if you opt for the other one. It wouldnt bother me to get a second hand one.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks John, I will think about a second hand 7000 maybe, perhaps all the Dreamers on the forum will start buying the 7025 once its popular and there will be some good bargins ;)

The Technomate will get me started anyway, still not got the dish up yet. Had an email back from a store today, they are expecting 4x DM500S on Friday and they are all sold, so I guess that rules that one out!

Paul.