What's the difference between the Hotbird sats???

frakassor

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been using the satellite to watch french TV5 and Arte for 6 years.
I believe i am on hotbird 1.
I would like now to switch to digital but it appears that the digital french channels are on hotbird 6.
All the hotbird sats are on 13 deg east so what do I have to do to get the hotbird 6? ( Would of course be nice if nothing has to be done :p )

Thanks.

Clément

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
frakassor said:
Hi guys,

All the hotbird sats are on 13 deg east so what do I have to do to get the hotbird 6? ( Would of course be nice if nothing has to be done :p )

Thanks.

Clément

Salut Clément, join the club, I too have been pointed at the same sat for 3 years for the very same channels. I get TV5/Arte Analogue Chanels from Hotbird 13°E. To answer your question, if your dish is pointed at 13°E you will see all hotbirds (dish size permitting - they may use different beams [read=different coverage of their transmissions over Europe]).

If you're interest is in French Language channels you may be interrested in the following:

In addition I have a second dish pointed at Atlantic Bird 3 5.0°W which carries TF1/France2/France3/La Cinque/Atre/M6 all free to air Analogue.

Thus I get TF1/France2/France3/La Cinque/Atre/M6/TV5 all free to air (Analogue).

I'm thinking of going digital too. If ARTE/TV5 are your channels of choice, then it may be worth turning your dish to Astra 19.2°E for your french language channels: you'd get TV5 FBS(France/Belgique/Suisse), TV5 Europe (Sometime FBS/Europe have different progs on at same time)/Arte/RTBFsat (French from Belgium, especially useful wife your wife is Beligian ;) )/EuroNews/EuroSport and a few others (Zik music - never seen it myself).

I am eagerly awaiting the french national channels to go free to air digital - I suspect only a matter of time, ideally they'd pop up on Hotbird/Astra, rather than Atlantic Bird... time will tell. At present they are only available on pay-packages, such as TPS (Television Par Satellite) www.tps.fr, with the right digital receiver/CAM/card and keys found on the internet its rumoured to be possible to view these channels without paying the proper subscription - this would, however, be illegal.

All the channel info/beam/sat info I've referred is available from http://www.kingofsat.net/en/

Bonne chance.

CTS

frakassor

Reaction score
Resalut!

Thanks a lot for the advice.
I don't really want to get on the roof to kill myself so I think I will leave the dish pointing at Hotbird.
I am in fact thinking of getting TPS.
I had a look at their website and it only costs 7€/month to get the french channels + others like eurosport etc... I am thinking of getting that and they will send the card to my family in France who will send it to UK!
As I don't want to take their own receiver, I am looking at the moment for a digital receiver which where the TPS cards will get into!

Maybe it is easier to get on the roof finaly...
Just a stupid question, do I have to rotate the dish a lot to receive the french channels (TF1, france2, etc...) in analogue?
The dish is fixed on a wall so it cannot move by a huge angle...

THanks again,

Clément.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
frakassor said:
Maybe it is easier to get on the roof finaly...
Just a stupid question, do I have to rotate the dish a lot to receive the french channels (TF1, france2, etc...) in analogue?
The dish is fixed on a wall so it cannot move by a huge angle...

THanks again,

Clément.

Clément, If you just want to keep it Analogue at the minute, you'll have to turn your dish a bit towards the west for TF1/france2 etc (note you'll loose TV5 since its not on Altantic Bird 5W). One more thing to note is your LNB must be a universal LNB, since all the channels are carried at the higher frequencies - also your receiver must be capable of switching into the higher frequency range - it must support 22KHz tone switching (Early analogue receivers didn't, later ones did). Mine doesn't so I have a 22KHz tone inserter. (I have this one http://tinyurl.com/6oauk).

I'm near to southampton (I'm guessing you're in UK? - your profile doesn't indicate..) and I get on OK with a 60cm dish, if you're further up north you might need an 80cm dish. Assuming you're in the UK the other thing to note is that TF1/france 2 from Atlantic Bird 5W are all in S_E_C_A_M, unless your TV can cope with this (UK is PAL-I) you'll get your channels in black and white - not so cool.

If your receiver has multiple inputs consider adding a second dish? That's what I did. I'm not sure that its legal to have two dishes side by side on the house, but no one has complained to date. Put one in the garden... :cool:

Ciao.

Simon

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Close to Southampton
Thought you might like to see some pictures: see attached.
Cheers
CTS
sat1.jpg

sat2.jpg

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yeah, you can run my cables next time!

Chief

Reaction score
Hi
can antone please help me? I live in the South West of France between Carcassonne and Toulouse and I receive BBC channels from Astra 28,2w on a digital box - I had a Nokia 9800s which I fed 2 dished in to receive TPS & the Brit channels - the Nokia now has lines on the tv and have lost the way to get rid of them - bref! I would like to buy a box in the UK to receive the TPS card - run two dishes (Hotbird & Astra 28,2w) and to receive the fantastic BBCi (when programmes such as dance fever etc. interrupt the rugby, footie or snooker for exmple. Could anyone recommend what I (or rather my dad) can buy in UK - not too expensive to do this.

If the person who sent a message regarding the Nokia lines on tv is out there somewhere - please, please resend the message referring to the capacitor repairs to do.

Thanks a lot

Chief