What's the future now were losing channels

stuntbelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm1500ci, dragon cam, art card 80cm duel lnd fixed dish hotbird and Astra. 28" w/s tv
My Location
Sunny West Kirby, Wirral
Now that channels are not being able to be decoded because of moving to different encryption styles, I was wondering what people though out there?? Is it all gloom and doom, or will it be eventually hacked??
I know we have been very lucky up to now. Infact we have been spoilt rotten, but now I can't see much hope too soon.
Will this herald a new style of receiver to cope with the new technology!!
Or is software and Cams the answer??

Lets hope the brains out there can sort out this temporary glitch in an otherwise brilliant 6 months for me..

longstockings

Satellite Whore
Reaction score
Website
www.tm9100.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500 CI+
80cm Polycarbnate Dish
0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
How many people are trying to find the codes etc that allow us to watch pay tv for free.

Could they not write a tutorial or something so that everyone who wanted to could begin hacking channels open.

That would be ace.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
longstockings said:
Could they not write a tutorial or something so that everyone who wanted to could begin hacking channels open.

That would be ace.

I think that would be over simplifying it a little, such a 'tutorial' would be a 5000 page masterpeice written by someone with a PhD in computer technology specializing in cryptology. It just isn't that straight forward!

Here's a tutorial for you: hit the internet and don't stop till you're done!... read up about encyrption, when you've got the basics concentrate on those systems you'd like to compromise, learn to code, C for example is a good start, learn to reverse engineer compiled images back into assembler, learn to code assembler too while you're at it. Learn to code for embedded processors such as ARM/ATMEL. Learn the ins and outs of the hardware platforms, memory configs, I/O and some basic electronics too.

To date this community has benefitted from some very clever people offering their services for free, you could of course employ (_http://www.rentacoder.com for a start...) someone to crack a encryption scheme for you, but then that would cost more than a sub or two!

I for example have 8 years experience of writting software, whilst the basic concepts of what is going on in a receiver/CAM make sense to me, I know nothing of the tecnical details of crypto schemes, I have a good base to start with, but it would take me a good few months/years to understand it all properly in order to compromise such a crypto algorythm, and even then, I just might not get there.

So you see, it just ain't that easy. And of course because of the nature of the hobby people are not willing to share information to a depth of technical knowledege that one would need to be able to carry forth work on decrypting a scheme. And the reasons are clear - you might as well say "I'm a hacker perfoming illegal activities, authorites, please lock me away now".

I once foolishly asked if I could get the source code for the receiver I own - I didn't get very far, I was told only XXX had it and he wouldn't give it to anyone. I think to get this info you have to be a member of some closed hacking community, which you could get into given time and effort - back to my original statement - hit the internet and don't come back until you're done. Time & effort - it takes a lot, I personally would like to be out and about windsurfing, cycling and walking, whilst some poor sole in Iran or Russia spends half their life behind a computer hacking away at satellite receivers and the like. We are very lucky indeed to be able just to pick up things off the net and make good use of them - I'm sure its not a thought that goes through a first time poster's head when they post "I WANT KEYS FOR TP$" or "MY TAQUI44A CHANNELS DON'T WORK HELP - EMAIL iwantkeys@now.com".

mmm, I've rambled on enough, food for thought.
-CTS

:)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
stuntbelly said:
Now that channels are not being able to be decoded because of moving to different encryption styles, I was wondering what people though out there?? Is it all gloom and doom, or will it be eventually hacked??
I know we have been very lucky up to now. Infact we have been spoilt rotten, but now I can't see much hope too soon.
Will this herald a new style of receiver to cope with the new technology!!
Or is software and Cams the answer??

Lets hope the brains out there can sort out this temporary glitch in an otherwise brilliant 6 months for me..
We will just have to sit it out and wait for a new card maybe to come on the scene. Thats the beauty of this HOBBY, the excitement of decoding.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
I don't think hacking of the latest encryptions is done by intelligent logging or deduction or found accidentally. It is done by intentionally releasing sufficient info to sell new cams and cards for a given period, then copied by others like the dreambox soft developers.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well, I think you're all right.

It'd be nice to think that all the 'hacking' is done by a select bunch of cool underground masterminds, but the truth is more likely to be that the majority of compromised technologies are due to political and commercial forces.

Folks who are smart enough to achieve these things are also smart enough to get a highly paid job working for the companies in question to either defeat the pirates, or to hurt the competition.

That doesn't mean to say that we won't have some more channels open this year, 'cos it's a lucrative market.

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
BGonaSTICK said:
Well, I think you're all right.
not much to debate there then.

I must say I've never been much for the conspiarcy theory that CAM makers pay people to hack channels/pacakages to sell more CAMs - is that really what goes on? (Same goes for receiver manufacturers I suppose) Do you think they really push some developers to write code on their behalf? If they do, I guess they must maintain some pretty tenuous links to keep them selves from prosecution?

-cts

stuntbelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm1500ci, dragon cam, art card 80cm duel lnd fixed dish hotbird and Astra. 28" w/s tv
My Location
Sunny West Kirby, Wirral
So with more and more operaters getting the NDS coding system..There are more chances that someone will leak the information need to unlock these channels then?? Is that the general thought...??

And I thought The Lone Gunmen from X- files were the people hacking these codes...Well you learn something new every day.....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
closetosoton said:
not much to debate there then.

I must say I've never been much for the conspiarcy theory that CAM makers pay people to hack channels/pacakages to sell more CAMs - is that really what goes on? (Same goes for receiver manufacturers I suppose) Do you think they really push some developers to write code on their behalf? If they do, I guess they must maintain some pretty tenuous links to keep them selves from prosecution?

-cts

I don't think that the 'reputable' hardware manufacturers directly pay for dodgy software development, but some certainly don't discourage it. The morals of this market are stretched to the limit when the cash register 'kerchings'.

How many Dreambox units do you think DMM would have sold were it not for the dodgy folks? I strongly suspect that the latest 'official' 1.09 image for the DM7000S was written by one of the leading writers of 'modified' software for that box.

It's certainly a fact that both code and codes change hands for quite large sums of money. I guess most of it is opportunist 'hackers' trying to make a buck from their efforts, but I'm quite sure that 'leakages' occur for a variety of reasons.

I'm not trying to make out that I know how this all works, but if you read enough, and have a reasonable idea of both technology practices in general and of what makes the world go round, then I think the picture paints itself.