What's wrong DiSEqC set up?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Spent today and yesterday setting up the DiSEqC motor.

The story so far...

Read everything I can!

Mounted bracket and pole and check the pole is vertical (honest)

Worked out the Elevation as:

Latitude 56.56 = Elevation angle 34 (set on side of motor)

Pointed the motor south and mounted the dish in line with seam on rotor arm.

Set motor to 0 set DreamBox to 0 using the GoTo XX function.

Moved to 1 west (Thor) on the motor and found a great signal.
set this up and then moved to Hotbird, Astra 19.2 and Astra 28.2.

When I look at the scale on the motor the angles match those of the satellite positions.

I have set these positions and can move between these satellites just by channel selection.

But... I cannot get anything west of Thor the dish tips over when scanning more than 30 deg each way.

I know it's the settings but can anyone point me in the corect direction.

See attached pictures

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
What is your long? m8

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
AForester said:
What is your long?

Site latitude +55.8523 Site longitude -4.2604

Dish azimuth 176.12 deg (true north) 182.07 deg (magnetic north)

Dish elevation 176.12 deg Slant range 38949.5 (km)
Polarisation -2.21 deg

Polar mount main axis 56.56 deg Polar mout dish offset 7.14 deg

Been adding manually and now have a handful of birds.

Should the DreamBox just go directly to the satellites once the 0 deg position has been set correctly?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It does with some motors and images, but not with others. :)

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Site latitude +55.8523 Site longitude -4.2604

Dish azimuth 176.12 deg (true north) 182.07 deg (magnetic north)

Dish elevation 176.12 deg Slant range 38949.5 (km)
Polarisation -2.21 deg

Polar mount main axis 56.56 deg Polar mout dish offset 7.14 deg

Been adding manually and now have a handful of birds.

Should the DreamBox just go directly to the satellites once the 0 deg position has been set correctly?

How many sats did you get manually............. I got 45e,42e,39e.36e,28e,26e,23.5e,19.2e,16e,13e,10e,7e,5e, + .8w,5w,8w,12.5w,15w,21.5w,27.5w,30w...
tried so many times to do other functions but did not work right..

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
john_graydon said:
How many sats did you get manually............. I got 45e,42e,39e.36e,28e,26e,23.5e,19.2e,16e,13e,10e,7e,5e, + .8w,5w,8w,12.5w,15w,21.5w,27.5w,30w...
tried so many times to do other functions but did not work right..

You win by a mile... Only about 5-6 so far.

Still takes ages to go through all the channels!

How did you do it.. I tring moving the motor and watching the signal rise/fall but it can take a while before the signal kicks in.

At one point on saturday i had two digital receivers and an analogue switching back and forth.

As i have two leads to the old dish i could use one to power the motor while the analogue checked for signal (much easier). Marked the pole mount and rotor everytime i found one. Just confirmed to the neighbours how daft i am.

Great feeling when the birds start to appear.

Thanks rolfw - tried to set up dish just like your picture. Still needs to finished.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
@ gameboy

You would be best at setting up your South satellite on the bird at 5west for your long.
Try 12543H, 27500, 3/4 or 12588H, 30000, 7/8 or 12642, 4100, 5/6. Those are transponders with FTA.
I would advise your south satellite as Amos2 at 4west but I think that at your location you would not receive anything.
Quite a few french analogue on the bird at 5west, check for frequencies on Flysat.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
AForester said:
You would be best at setting up your South satellite on the bird at 5west for your long.

Thanks for the advice...

Next window for ladder climbing is Friday so hopefully the weather will be good (not that often in Scotland in October).

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Thanks for the advice...

Next window for ladder climbing is Friday so hopefully the weather will be good (not that often in Scotland in October).

I remember when i first put up my dish with motor, It took me a full week. My legs were killing me for ages, anyway this is what i did..keeping in mind that my dish was already set up to my tecnomate 8000.
Into menu
Set up
Service searching
Motor set up
Uncheck :Use motor input power///Use gotoXX function
Press blue button
Enter satellite you require
Enter VALID transponder
Direction left or right to get LOC & SYNC
Store when found ...At your own number
Blue button to search
Automatic Transponder scan
Put the sat you stored into Network box
Then you will get the LOCK & SYNC when a valid transponder is found.
Then green button to start scan
Press OK when all done
Next option is up to you, but I just exit and started again when i found that it was stored ok.
I was using the latest Hydra Lucien image so coloured buttons might differ.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Did you have to search and store all the satellite manually?

The GoTo XX function doesn't seem to work that well with my image - PeterPan. If you zero the dish it returns to zero OK then if you choose GoTo 19.2 it doesn't go to that position but a lot short of it.

I was hoping that once the dish was zero'd then it was just a case of picking a satellite and it would go to it - but alas no. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Too many channels to watch any how!

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
gameboy said:
Did you have to search and store all the satellite manually?

The GoTo XX function doesn't seem to work that well with my image - PeterPan. If you zero the dish it returns to zero OK then if you choose GoTo 19.2 it doesn't go to that position but a lot short of it.

I was hoping that once the dish was zero'd then it was just a case of picking a satellite and it would go to it - but alas no. Nothing worthwhile is ever easy.

Too many channels to watch any how!

Yes i searched and stored all the birds manually. It took me a while but worth it in the end. Cant seem to be able to back up my sat list yet. Still finding my way around the box and FTP,telnet,etc before i change my image.

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
gameboy said:
On your receiver, does GoTo XX mean "XX degrees" or "XX motor-steps"?

On my motor, one motor-step is about a third of a degree. When I'm lining up a sat, I calculate it's position relative to mine, multiply by three, step the motor to that number and then go a couple of steps each way to find the best signal.

Count how many steps are taken from Max-East to Max-West and then divide by the number of degrees.

Phil.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Scotland
Simba27 said:
On your receiver, does GoTo XX mean "XX degrees" or "XX motor-steps"?

On the GoTo XX settings on the DreamBox PP image it asks you to state XX.XXX degrees and East or West so I take it the dish moves that number of degrees.