Where does a noob go?

Hi, all.

I have to admit I don't know the first thing about satellites/receivers - nor do I need to (I'm on cable). However, my Dad is in mid (ish) Wales and wants to cheaply receive a Portuguese free-air transmission.

The problem is, I don't know which forum to go to start asking the questions.

Thanks for any advice

Gorf

(He wants to get RTPi off Astra 19.2E - I expect we'll be picking up the kit he needs off ebay, but I've no idea what he needs.)

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
my Dad is in mid (ish) Wales and wants to cheaply receive a Portuguese free-air transmission.

(He wants to get RTPi off Astra 19.2E - I expect we'll be picking up the kit he needs off ebay, but I've no idea what he needs.)
OK, the cheapest is a old skydigibox which could be used in "add channels" mode to include RTPI @

ASTRA 1 E (Digital)
P. Orb.: 19.2 Este
Freq.: 11567,5 MHz
Pol.: Vertical
Symbol Rate: 22000
FEC ¾

I'm sure I'll need help once I've got the kit together for him. I might even do a "dry run" here (E Lancs) before we next go to see him.

I'll keep you posted as to progress.

Thanks again.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Your dad might also consider paying a little more and getting a ‘proper’ FTA digital receiver, the Sky digibox is very limited as to what channels can be added and also the number of channels that can be added. With a proper FTA receiver he could add many other free channels from Astra1, even if he doesn’t want them now in a few months it might be quite tempting and it would be annoying to be limited by the Sky digibox.

Razor

My Location
Ireland
Polomint is bang on, a digibox will drive you mad, and they where never ment for anything other than SLY stuff from 28E. An extra £20 will get you a nice second hand FTA box.

Gorf

OK folks - I got my Dad a Technomate 3000D FTA Digital Receiver and a 60cm dish. The guy I bought it from said if he wants to get BBC FTA broadcasts when in Portugal, he'll need a bigger dish, but the 60cm one will get Astra 19.2 from the UK.

Thanks for all the help.