Where have all the boxes gone?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Two weeks ago, one of my customers urgently needed a Freesat box, but the only one she could find was an HD box at £147 or thereabouts from Comet, due to the urgency of the matter, she reluctantly had to buy.

A couple of days ago she needed two more and went to Comet to get them, the salesman there showed her the HD box and when told that she didn't want an HD box, but the standard box, he told here that this was the only Freesat box available and it was £147 because unlike Sky, this was a "one off" payment.

She went back (after speaking to me on the phone) and pushed him about the cheaper box, he then reluctantly told her that they had been available, but there was no stock, as it had been recalled.

I wonder how many people have been conned into buying an HD box when all they really needed was to wait and buy a standard one?

PS. She actually managed to get a couple from Argos in the end, but only after phoning me and asking if the cheaper box really existed.:)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Pushy sales people )(-red

The whole "HD Ready" con has been getting up my nose for the past few years, When I say con, I am referring to the fact that "HD Ready" TV's are being sold here for the past couple of years with no way of actually seeing any HD programing until recently, BlueRay and the now dead HD DVD players were (And probably still are) priced well beyond what most people were willing to pay, and there was no HD broadcasting on offer,

When my Mum wanted a new TV set 2 years ago, she was advised by a sales rep in a well known shop (Currys I think) that she should get a "HD Ready" tv at a significantly higher cost than a regular TV. Thats 2+ years ago!

I advised her not to because by the time HD is anywhere near commonplace she would probably be needing a replacement TV by then anyway, Our national broadcaster has no plans to even begin to show any HD content until well into the next decade.

I'm sure there are thousands of those TVs out there that have never been used to watch anything in HD. All because of a big swindle in my opinion.

Its pushing new hardware on people today that they cannot use for another 2 years. Most of the mothers/fathers that go to an Electrical outlet dont know they are being conned. Its a legal way to rob the unfortunate technologically ignorant.

Sorry .... Rant over,

Now dont get me started on the price of those HDMI cables:-rofl2

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Commission based salesmen hey Rolf :D

Did a new Panasonic IDTV PZ81 series this week, fantastic bit of kit. More and more panels will go this way. :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, unfortunately trying to convince someone that there is only one type of Freesat box and that it is £150 is a little too much sharp practice in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Panasonic, Technisat have been making TVs with integrated satellite tuners for some while now.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Can look a bit confusing though as the Freesat OSD channel banner is the same as on freeview mode apart from a small 'fs' labelled in the bottom left hand corner it's hard to tell what your on, assuming you watching bbc or Itv that is :D Humax HD Foxsat is still a cracking receiver :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I'm thinking of going into Burnley and paying a visit to Currys, just to see what they do and if they try and fob me off with the excuses Rolfw mentioned, I won't actually buy one as I have no interest in Freesat at the moment as I have freeview and "something else" :cool:, but I just want to see what they do with someone in the know... ;)

The thing is, what's the point in buying an HD box if you have an SDTV, my mum's 5/6 year old Sony CRT Freeview IDTV (TUTV compatible, bar the Anytime service) works perfectly fine, it doesn't need replacing, it (hopefully) has plenty of life in it yet, and my backyard salvaged Ferguson 21" also has plenty of life in it, so buying an HD box to watch 2 HD channels and played back on an SD TV, I see a flaw in their logic, so, in my opinion, it's all a big con... :-Nooo

driver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gb sat reciever.
fixed dishes on 5,13,16,19 e
1 west
windows xp
My Location
southwest uk
2cvbloke said:
I'm thinking of going into Burnley and paying a visit to Currys, just to see what they do and if they try and fob me off with the excuses Rolfw mentioned, I won't actually buy one as I have no interest in Freesat at the moment as I have freeview and "something else" :cool:, but I just want to see what they do with someone in the know... ;)

The thing is, what's the point in buying an HD box if you have an SDTV, my mum's 5/6 year old Sony CRT Freeview IDTV (TUTV compatible, bar the Anytime service) works perfectly fine, it doesn't need replacing, it (hopefully) has plenty of life in it yet, and my backyard salvaged Ferguson 21" also has plenty of life in it, so buying an HD box to watch 2 HD channels and played back on an SD TV, I see a flaw in their logic, so, in my opinion, it's all a big con... :-Nooo
hi m8,its like this...i got much the same as you.
my son has massive hd flat screen.
on 625 lines its like venitia blind.big screen needs more lines.
as for box,having used a fta sat box with totaly usless EPG.
at least using the freesat box you can see whats coming on.
i,ve got two freeview,one sky,one fta receiver,but soon i,ll need freesat or freeview tv in every room,and unless i buy pvr unit i need another for the video.with 5 tv,s in the house, its going to be expensive to get it all on digital.but if i switch it all on at the same time ,i can turn off the heatig and save on expensive gas.lol.
cheers

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Popped into my local Comet today, and they did actually have a display model of the SD version on the shelf, not sure if it was actually in stock though as I did not have time to ask.

driver

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
gb sat reciever.
fixed dishes on 5,13,16,19 e
1 west
windows xp
My Location
southwest uk
Robbo71 said:
Popped into my local Comet today, and they did actually have a display model of the SD version on the shelf, not sure if it was actually in stock though as I did not have time to ask.
you were brave to go in the door,
always reminds me of the old lady on summer wine when i go near there.comet is better,if you have your wits about you.
thing to do if anyone wants a genuine freesat box is to check on the net,supermarkets are the first place to look strangly enough for real service ,no questions asked refunds if your not happy.....but thats only if they stock them,
honestly i hav,nt looked but will eventually have to buy one cause i got two output on my quad lnb going nowhere at present.:)i think thats a lol.

thumper

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky +
Freesat grundig hd
My Location
uk
There seems to be a lack of Hd channels on freesat on bbc hd which is not full time and every now and then itv hd , only luxe hd is full time but not in the freesat guide. sadly the only good way for hd is sky , least you get more channels , hopefully the freesat hd will grow but iam not myself counting on it :(

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I think everyone knows that a number of Freesat boxes didn't meet with the European directive to be able to tune in the non-freesat channels. Hence they were recalled for a fix. The HD box mentioned here did have that facility which is maybe why its availability was greater than some SD boxes.

BTW Sky did follow the European directive which is why their boxes has the 'Other Channels' facility.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
I was in Currys today to be fed some freesat bullpoo, they had three HD boxes on display (Humax, Grundig, and another one for £119.99), and I thought I'd try to record the sales people giving me the guff about why they can't sell a box without installation and why they have to add extra cables and change the LNB on an exisitng dish, but they never even bothered to ask if they could help, even though I kept picking up the boxes to look at them (they're nice, cost too much for just SD use though), so I took the following picture which contradicts what the leaflets between the Humax and the Grundig say... :)

Attachments

• Image009.jpg
    Image009.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 92

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
That needs sending to Freesat, as they are conning people, they also cant spell LNB. Which Currys store was that in?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
That needs sending to Freesat, as they are conning people, they also cant spell LNB. Which Currys store was that in?

I was in the big one in Burnley (just by Burnley Central railway station), and yep, they cannot spell LNB, and I should send this in to Freesat as they are conning people.... :-Nooo

Infact, I will... :D

*zips off to send an e-mail*

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Done, maybe I should send the pic to some of the news channels, see what they say? :D

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've also fired off an email to Trading Standards, with the photo attached... :D

Next, Currys... )(-red

Let's see what Currys have to say about it all... :cool:

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Well, I finally got a response, from Currys though, and it seems they think the general public, including those who know more than the average sky monkey, truly are complete idiots!!!:

Dear Mr Craggs,

Thank you for your email dated 29th July 2008. Please accept my apologies
for the delay in this response.

Having contacted our Burnley store, I have been informed that this information
is correct. They have advised me that installation is required as you will not be
able to receive a signal. This is why we are offering this service to our customers.

I have noted your comments with regards to this matter and this will be forwarded
onto the relevant department for a further review. Thank you for taking the time to
contact us.

Yours sincerely,

Deborah Whyke
Currys Support

I feel like going back to the store and putting them on the spot!!! This really has gotten my goat!!! 'O'-red

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
2cvbloke said:
Well, I finally got a response, from Currys though, and it seems they think the general public, including those who know more than the average sky monkey, truly are complete idiots!!!:

I feel like going back to the store and putting them on the spot!!! This really has gotten my goat!!! 'O'-red
I dont blame you, Keep us posted.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
compufunk said:
I dont blame you, Keep us posted.

Still waiting for a response from Freesat and Trading Standards, but Currys have provided some interesting numptyness regarding their knowledge of satellite installations... :mad:

baldylocks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Freesat HD
My Location
south cumbria
Keep chasing, 2cv, it amazes me that Headoffice also doesn't know the facts, and furthermore does not bother to check. :-Nooo

Trading standards is a good idea, but possibly Ofcom will have more to say....:-rofl2:-rofl2:-rofl2