where is freesat

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
I find it harder to believe that Freesat is set to launch in March 2008, correct me if I'm wrong but thats only 4 months away. Where is the publicity? where is the information. :-slaphead

R

Rd100

In the spring you can buy it from stores such as asda tesco currys comet argos as a self install kit and if you can not install it it says in the user guide call your local satellite installer, That is what it said on the paper work i was looking at the other day when i was using a humax FREESAT HIGH DEFINITION PVR it had a CI slot and blanked off card slot and it had the full freesat EPG on it,

Mad Rat said:
I find it harder to believe that Freesat is set to launch in March 2008, correct me if I'm wrong but thats only 4 months away. Where is the publicity? where is the information. :-slaphead

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish only at present - looking to set up Freesat when available
My Location
West Oxfordshire
Hi

First post here. Only just got the free UK satellite channels by using a work colleague's cast-off Sky box and don't want to go back to terrestrial now - especially as Freeview is lousy (in terms of both channel coverage and signal strength) where I live.

My question is this: when Freesat launches next year, will it still be possible to receive the BBC/ITV channels on a Sky box without subscription, or will I have to get a 'Freesat' box?

Having just got everything working in time for Christmas I'm reluctant to buy any kit that might become redundant when Freesat goes on air...

Cheers and a merry Christmas to all

Gadget

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Will be fine on the Sky Digibox.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish only at present - looking to set up Freesat when available
My Location
West Oxfordshire
Rolfw

Thanks - merry Christmas!

Gadget :-bigsanta

sat345rg

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
no dish
My Location
spain
Hi Rd100.
Why don't you tell us more about your test equipment?
For example:
-How does the EPG look like?Are channel 4 and 5 listed on it?
-How do you set the correct bbc/itv region on the EPG?

cdtronix

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.1m Triax With Inverto Black Ultra fixed on 4.8East. 60cm Dish Fixed on 28East both Diseqc onto Dreambox 800HD. Cdtronix 1.2m Motorised with Twin LNB using Technomate TM6800 HD. Seperate Sky+ HD & Icecrypt S1500C.
My Location
Essex
im looking forward to the launch of Freesat, more options for people, but not alot of info on it righ now for the public which may confuse them.

rambo man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite
My Location
malta
cdtronix said:
im looking forward to the launch of Freesat, more options for people, but not alot of info on it righ now for the public which may confuse them.
what's the frequency of free sat and will it be able to cover all europe especially malta or is it for uk only

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
rambo man said:
what's the frequency of free sat and will it be able to cover all europe especially malta or is it for uk only

Freesat will be using the Astra 2D satellite for its channel transmissions, the same as the BBC, ITV etc channels do now. There will be no improvement in reception outside UK. It will probably get worse, as when channel 4 goes FTA, that will probably go to Astra 2D also.

Various frequencies will be used, as the whole lot would not fit on one transponder, have a look on lyngsat.

Robbo:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
According to a post on the Astra2D website by Expat

Freesat has been put back till May for stage 1 launch and later in the year for stage 2 launch. This nformation came from Arqiva.

I received an email with this information and am trying to get confirmation from either Arqiva or Freesat.

Mad Rat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
65cm dish for Sky+ linked to all rooms, all with own remote and magic eye. Second box in home office (no multi room subscription just use card from main box if needed) 3rd box in bedroom Freeview in other rooms. Free cable in dining room Two 53cm mi
My Location
Leicestershire UK
Stage 2 ?

Interesting.

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
Maplins just sent me a flyer wiv a interesting gizmo in it

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=a26hl&source=15&SD=Y

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Robbo71 said:
Freesat will be using the Astra 2D satellite for its channel transmissions, the same as the BBC, ITV etc channels do now. There will be no improvement in reception outside UK. It will probably get worse, as when channel 4 goes FTA, that will probably go to Astra 2D also.

Various frequencies will be used, as the whole lot would not fit on one transponder, have a look on lyngsat.

Robbo:)

Freesat will be using all 5 satellites parked at 28E. There wont be any major changes in transponder loadings unless SES need to free up some of the 2D tp's so C4 can move onto there.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Mad Rat said:
Stage 2 ?

Interesting.

My interpretation:

Stage 2 = HD will be late

which would be stupid, as its what everyone wants!

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digibox Pace 2200, 3 remotes, 2 mice, 2 splitters, a amp adder thingi, a Thomson universal LNB & a zone 2 dish..... With foamy whatsit coax
My Location
NW UK
HD Via Sat ain't new O-no

Another half arsed scheme for the UK U-zzzU-zzzU-zzz

This is embarrassing :toke:

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
j..m said:
Maplins just sent me a flyer wiv a interesting gizmo in it

_http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=a26hl&source=15&SD=Y

LOL its cheaper if you buy the full kit than buying the box on it own..

As for freesat... got bored of waiting.. but im still optimistic... even though we already have the services already lol...

Woooo i have an hardon cause i have freesat channels on a box which is diferent than sly...

j..m

ZZ Mop
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
NW UK
Owt Maplins sells is usually cock tho :(

Expat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax HD Freesat
Gibertini 150 cm dish for Astra 2D.
Technomate TM-1500 CI+ viewing Astra 2, Astra 1 and Hotbird
Sky receiver for FTV channels.
My Location
Copenhagen - Denmark
Sorry for all the confusion about Eurobird and Freesat. I have had a number of emails on this and have made some changes to my freesat page.
Some services may well be moved to one of the other satellites, the BBC has already been simulcasting News 24 on Astra 2A. There is only limited space on Astra 2D. When Channel 4 goes FTA and has to move all its regional variation of C4 and C4+1 along with C4 HD, its going to be quite full up.
And what of Five, they have no space on 2D?
Some encrypted channels could move, though I doubt Sky will be giving freesat a helping hand!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
2D is already full up Expat. There will have to be some tp swap arounds when / if C4 goes fta.

If ALL the scrambled stuff is moved off 2D theres just enough room to get all the C4 stuff (For C4 thats six macro regions regions, six +1 macro regions plus the HD) and C5 stuff onto 2D with maybe a tp to spare.

2D is about as full as the brassiere of a girl wearing one 2 cup sizes too small :-rofl2

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
2D is about as full as the brassiere of a girl wearing one 2 cup sizes too small :-rofl2

Known as volumptous overflow HumpingHumping