Where to site multiswitch and triplexer

digital

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat
My Location
Leeds
I've got a 60cm dish with a quad LNB on a wall and UHF and FM aerials on the chimney. They're around 12-14M apart.

I intend to use a Vision V24-310 FM+DAB+UHF triplexer to combine the UHF and FM signals before feeding them, along with the LNB signals, into a Vision V75-508 multiswitch. I'll then be using 7 of the multiswitch's 8 outputs to feed Labgear triplexed decombiner output plates around the house.

All of this begs a couple or three questions:
Is it better to use a couple of metres of coaxial from each aerial to bring the Vision triplexer indoors and into the loft rather than leave it outside for water to eventually get in?

Do I use the triplexer to combine the UHF and FM signals as soon as they enter the house and so have the coaxial carrying the combined signal longer, or do I keep them separate for as long as I can and keep the coaxial carrying the combined signal shorter?

Which coaxials
to the multiswitch are best kept as short as possible? The ones from the LNB, or the one(s) from the triplexer, ie do I put the multiswitch near where the LNB coaxials enter the loft or where the UHF and FMs come in?

Or does it all not matter very much?

TIA.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It probably doesn't matter too much, as if you don't lose the signal on one side of the switch, you will lose it on the other.

If you have a choice of putting the triplexer inside, then it will be more accessible at a later date. :)

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, loss is loss, is doesn't matter where it is in the cable run. Amplifiers on the other hand, are a different matter.

digital

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat
My Location
Leeds
Robbo71 said:
Yes, loss is loss, is doesn't matter where it is in the cable run. Amplifiers on the other hand, are a different matter.
The multiswitch is 'active' so I assumed there was some amplification in there that might have to be taken account of.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
My main point was, there is no point putting an amplifier on the end of a really long cable run as once the SNR has fallen below a usable level, you can't get it back.

So as long as the switch isn't put at the very end of a long line it would be fine. If I read your description correctly the switch will be in the loft either way, with not a great deal of difference between the longest run and the shortest.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
These switches have Q2 technology and can be used with a Quad as some other switches cannot.

There are 2 models of 508 switches. The 508A and 508

The 508A is better as the losses are less.

You will lose 2dB on 'IF' sat and between -1dB and +2dB on UHF depending on what ports you use.

These figures are irrelevant really and the losses are minimum and you have a 60cm anyway.

Good luck with the installation :D

digital

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat
My Location
Leeds
Thanks all for the reassurance.