Where to start!

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
Hello im new to the forum. I am a microwave radio engineer by trade and was wondering if you guys use path calcs to work out dish sizes, receive signal strengths etc, as i would like to get into sat installation Ive asked sky engineers and get mixed information. Can anyone recommend a good starting book, course or advice.

Cheers

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Generally, calculations are not necessary, dish size is obtained by experience with the satellite that you need to receive from for a certain location.

I.E ask any satellite installer who installs dishes for 'other satellites' , he will be able to tell you the dish size needed for most of the common satellites off the top of his head for his area.

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
Thanks for the reply. So a start point would be to find the sat required then work out dish size lnb and decoder required or can you buy a package from a wholesaler with just the sat your trying to catch.

Again thanks

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
koof7 said:
Thanks for the reply. So a start point would be to find the sat required then work out dish size lnb and decoder required or can you buy a package from a wholesaler with just the sat your trying to catch.

Again thanks

Any sat guys in Manchester with info about this last quote.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
The major UK wholsalers tend to stick to Freesat or Sky packages. Foreign sytems are best got straight from the source, of ten by the customer from friends relatives in their own country. Many of the channels are FTA, so no specific receiver is required. Cards and CAMs can also be purchased from various internet retailers at inflated rates, sometimes dedicated receivers are required, eg for Sky Italia, or TNT sat france etc.

Generally I would just point someone in the right direction to buy any specified decoders or cards required, maybe to one of the site sponsors, and then once they have it, put the correct size dish up for them. Most of the jobs I do though tend to be for FTA or hobbyists with Linux machines and the like.

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
Robbo said:
The major UK wholsalers tend to stick to Freesat or Sky packages. Foreign sytems are best got straight from the source, of ten by the customer from friends relatives in their own country. Many of the channels are FTA, so no specific receiver is required. Cards and CAMs can also be purchased from various internet retailers at inflated rates, sometimes dedicated receivers are required, eg for Sky Italia, or TNT sat france etc.

Generally I would just point someone in the right direction to buy any specified decoders or cards required, maybe to one of the site sponsors, and then once they have it, put the correct size dish up for them. Most of the jobs I do though tend to be for FTA or hobbyists with Linux machines and the like.

I would like to have a go at a motorised system at home so i can watch football (dont fancy installing a customer untill ive tryed it for myself first), would you say this a step to soon or can you recommend a system.

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
In terms of necessary dish sizes, the tool on dishpointer.com can be a useful stating point ---- but only that, a starting point for estimation.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
koof7 said:
I would like to have a go at a motorised system at home so i can watch football (dont fancy installing a customer untill ive tryed it for myself first), would you say this a step to soon or can you recommend a system.

In this case, buy the largest dish that is allowed in your building and by the motor specification. Something like 1.0-1.1m
This way you will gain more knowledge about what other foreign packages are like, something that you might be asked by future customers who are not interested in Sky UK.
With a very small dish like 60cm, you will catch fewer birds.
BTW: I also tried to look for a decent book about dishes, then gave up. Too damn expensive and when you buy it, you might find out they are not as glamorous as the marketing page says.
Best thing to do is to go to technical bookstores like Foyles in London (or your local technical bookshop), browse the books until you find something that seems to cover what you need, at a reasonable price.
Yeah, knowledge is power.:)

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
HB13DISH said:
In this case, buy the largest dish that is allowed in your building and by the motor specification. Something like 1.0-1.1m
This way you will gain more knowledge about what other foreign packages are like, something that you might be asked by future customers who are not interested in Sky UK.
With a very small dish like 60cm, you will catch fewer birds.
BTW: I also tried to look for a decent book about dishes, then gave up. Too damn expensive and when you buy it, you might find out they are not as glamorous as the marketing page says.
Best thing to do is to go to technical bookstores like Foyles in London (or your local technical bookshop), browse the books until you find something that seems to cover what you need, at a reasonable price.
Yeah, knowledge is power.:)

I agree theres nothing worse than being asked a question and then giving someone a i dont know blank expression. I will try what you suggested, will the decoder have to be of a specific type, im just wary of going into a wholesaler and getting the wrong gear.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
koof7 said:
I agree theres nothing worse than being asked a question and then giving someone a i dont know blank expression. I will try what you suggested, will the decoder have to be of a specific type, im just wary of going into a wholesaler and getting the wrong gear.

I would buy a receiver with at least two CI slots (not FTA), to take care of as many encryption systems as possible. Also it should be able to move the motor without any problems.
You can always ask here about any specific receiver before buying, and someone will try to help you.
Good luck. :)

koof7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Joined to learn
My Location
Manchester
HB13DISH said:
I would buy a receiver with at least two CI slots (not FTA), to take care of as many encryption systems as possible. Also it should be able to move the motor without any problems.
You can always ask here about any specific receiver before buying, and someone will try to help you.
Good luck. :)

Cheers, this site is the dogs nuts.

Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
koof7 said:
Cheers, this site is the dogs nuts.

Thanks

I hope you don't mean this