Where to start

uffarbach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ only at the moment - joing to learn more
My Location
North Wales
Hi, I have been looking at these pages for a bit, but everyone seems clued up! Can anyone point me in the direction of a website for beginners. I am wondering what to expect from a multi sat set-up - what channels I could expect, and how much it would cost etc. It has always been something I have wanted to do, but am only now seriously considering.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
Hi. and let me be the first to welcome you.:) :)
You've found the perfect place for all the help and advice you could want.
A couple of months ago, I was exactly the same as you, knowing very little about sat at all.
The guys on here put me on the right track everytime I had a problem or there was someting I didn't undestand.
Believe me, you won't go far wrong on here.

Regards

The Happy Traveller

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
hello what you wanting to view on satellite, football , motor racing ? etc

also do you want to have a motorised dish or a multi lnb fixed dish for a few satellites ?

another thing how much you want to spend on a system ?

i'm a newbie only been into sat stuff for a few months and can say its not hard if you like to get stuck in and have a go at doing things yourself

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Hi there. You're not they only newbie here honest.

A good site for the available channels and whether they are FTA (Free To Air) or pay (encrypted and how they're encrupted) on each sat is http://www.lyngsat.com/

As far as insatlling etc goes I found this http://www.christiantvguide.co.uk/html/free_satellite_tv.html was a good starting point for the very basic basics, but that was before I discovered the guys here!

uffarbach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ only at the moment - joing to learn more
My Location
North Wales
Hi, Thanks to all of you - I feel welcomed already!!! I was really interested in a few things - Sports is one - any type. I have also heard that it is possible to get blockbuster films etc (but how many of these would be in English? - it was a man in a pub who told me this so...!!!!), but mainly I would like to set it up out of interest and as a small hobby - to see whats out there! I dont really want to subscribe to lots of different providers - that doesnt sound like too much fun!!! As I said - completely new and am unsure what I could expect in the way of channels!!!

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
Some of the film channels are in english,showing Fantastic 4,Hitch,the Batman movie etc at the mo:)
Footy wise,watched Arsenal yesterday but commentry wasn't in english but there's one channel on 26e that has english commentry

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
Basically you need a dish, reciever, motor, vertical pole, unobstructed view [no trees etc] do choose your reciever with care. This site will put you right as the did with me a few months ago. Good luck.

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
or if worse came to wear(heaven forbid) you could always give sky a call and get a sky box and subscription.what frund said in the above post is all you need,plus a bit of patience and the time to learn what your new toy can and cannot do.