Which CAM for footie?

mr_boyson

Reaction score
I have an old motorised analogue sytems installed and wish to resurrect it so I can pick up some of the Saturday 3pm and midweek games that are not shown in the UK.

I know I need to purchase a digital receiver with at least one CI interface so that I can watch the encoded channels with a suitable CAM. I am also happy to use my exisiting analogue positioner to steer my dish or buy a "V-box" to interface the new receiver with my exisitng dish/motor setup.

However there are so many CAMs on the market, Magi/MR/Dragn etc. Which one is best to go for? Also is it necessary to buy a card (Tit/6in1 etc.) if the channels are not scrambled - will the CAM work on its own?

The forums here are great and there seems to be a lot of knowledge around, but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. (maybe there isn't one!)

Cheers for your help guys!

mr_boyson

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hi there.

Firstly I should say that I'm not an expert in cards and CAMs, in fact I'm far from it, but to get you started I'd highlight your last point first.

There is no definative answer!

I know you've pretty clearly stated your objective, and you're clearly on the right lines with the dish and positioner (though you realise you'll need a new universal digital LNB...) but the rest is a bit of a guessing game. As you've probably worked out, different card/CAM combinations open different packages, so that's where you should start. You'll have to accept also that packages 'open' and 'close' regularly, sometimes for months, sometimes for years (sorry if I'm stating the bloomin obvious...) hence your new purchase could become ornamental very quickly...

For footy, this year is really bad for FTA Premiership, though you don't say what you're after. Three big bouquets are open currently, S*Y Italia on Hotbird, T*lenor on 1W, and D!gital + on 19.2E. All show Premiership footy regularly.

Have a look at www.lyngsat.com and work out what packages look good to you, and then go from there.

MR and Tit is a good (common) combination which I believe can do all three of the above (though maybe not all on one physical card).

The other (and dare I say, more futureproof option?!?! Doh, now I've cursed it!) would be something like a Dreambox, which emulates nearly all CAM types wery well....

STICK

mr_boyson

Reaction score
Thanks for your quicky reply!

BGonaSTICK said:
(though you realise you'll need a new universal digital LNB...)
I can pick up the FTA channels with a Digital Sk* Box so I think the LNB is OK.

BGonaSTICK said:
For footy, this year is really bad for FTA Premiership, though you don't say what you're after.
Sorry, meant to say, I'm after Prem/ship games. I know there were good FTA channels last season from Romania and Turkey.

BGonaSTICK said:
The other (and dare I say, more futureproof option?!?! Doh, now I've cursed it!) would be something like a Dreambox, which emulates nearly all CAM types wery well....
Yes, I've heard the Dreambox is pretty good but a) it's pricey and :cool: I've read that it can be quite complicated to program/set up.

I was keen to pick up a cheap/second-hand receiver and get a decent CAM/card/programmer combo.

BGonaSTICK said:
MR and Tit is a good (common) combination which I believe can do all three of the above (though maybe not all on one physical card).
I have also read that this is a common combination. Is there a major difference between the mtrx/mrel/mrev CAMs? (might be posting off topic here - sorry!)

Any input greatly appreciated.

Thx!

mr_boyson

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well, based on your reply, you seem to be pretty well clued up. On your last point, as I say, I'm not an expert, but I think that the MR/Tit popularity is due to the fact that they've been around for a while. The latest and best CAM's are probably the Dragon (with it's own loader card) and the XCAM.

More than that I can't help (as I'm a Dreambox/PCI card user!)

And yes, the Dreambox can be complicated. Just bu$%&*d mine up, so I'm off to reload a new image!

I'm sure sum1 else can fill you in on the CAM specifics.

STICK

mr_boyson

Reaction score
STICK,

Thanks for the input!

BGonaSTICK said:
More than that I can't help (as I'm a Dreambox/PCI card user!)

And yes, the Dreambox can be complicated. Just bu$%&*d mine up, so I'm off to reload a new image!
Hmmmmm. The joys of linux!

BGonaSTICK said:
I'm sure sum1 else can fill you in on the CAM specifics.
Can anyone else help me choose which CAM (and card) to buy (or maybe my question should be better posted in the CAM forums)?

Cheers,

mr_boyson

benny

Reaction score
Hi,
If you get a humax 5400 patched to 3.2 and Hot 1.9 , You will get Sly italia and digital+ with a simple fun card. This works very well and no cam is needed.

benny

mr_boyson

Reaction score
benny said:
Hi,
If you get a humax 5400 patched to 3.2 and Hot 1.9 , You will get Sly italia and digital+ with a simple fun card. This works very well and no cam is needed.

benny
Thanks benny,

I can only find the Humax 5400 for around 50/60 quid cheaper than the Dreambox, so not really an option right now (after adding costs of a card programmer and blank cards).

But could be an option if I find one second hand...... do you know if any of the other Humax receivers can be "upgraded" in a similar way to the 5400?

Or maybe there are other receivers to look out for with an embedded option?

cheers,

mr_boyson