Which cam / type of card?

R

royalteapot

Hello. Right then. I know there's plenty of newbies wanting help and that I'm just another, but I hope that someone can point me in the right direction.

I've got myself a fortecstar 9800 receiver (basically a badged Manhattan 3000, so i'm told) with 2 CI slots. I'm pointing at 19.2E and 13E, and getting quite a few channels FTA... BUT what I'd really like are some channels that show, yup, you guessed it, mature content, english language films and sport (premiership football).

Now I was thinking of getting a Magic Module and a programmer - i'm thinking ELVIS here - to get this all working. Is this a sensible option? I've also been told that if i buy an irdeto CAM, then this will do the same job as the magic module on my receiver.

Another thing - what is the difference between types of card, eg. funcard, gold card, wafer card, and which would i need?

i'd really appreciate any help on this, or if there are any FAQs or websites on the subject anyone knows of, that'd be great too.

Thanks

Royal Teapot

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you go for Magic Module, silver or gold card and Elvis programmer, you should be set, well at least until the remaining mark one encryptions change to the new versions.

Unfortunately nothing is guaranteed with this hobby.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The Irdeto CAM option is only applicable if it is the re-programmable Irdeto series-1 type - but they are very expensive now since manufacture was halted a couple of years ago. If you can get one, it needs reflashing to be a FreeCAM2 v0.16 or higher.

The later and current ("Euro" CAM) versions are not reflashable (but there are some nuances here: see earlier posts on this board for full details).

2old

keefie

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North west England
Similar type of question, my allpatch samsung 9500 viaca it has irdeto cam type 901275as well is this now quite limited? should I go mad and get magic cam ,I understand this does both ver 1 & 2 in most cams, is this correct ? would I then be able to program funcard and get loads of channels again?
kust when you think you get to understand ...someone moves the goal posts...

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Keefie,

If I understand the question correctly, there is little benefit from getting a Magic Module in your case, unless you are prepared to obtain Seca 2 or Viaccess 2 official cards, i.e. - buy subscriptions from the relevant service providers.

Otherwise, your Samsung 9500 via receiver, when equipped with widely available and relatively cheap Irdeto 2 "Euro" CAM (less than half the current price of the Magic) and patched appropriately, should have exactly the same functionality.
It will do the most popular Fun 6-in-1 trick. :D

The situaton may change in favour of the Magic module, if the v. 2 encryptions are hacked. :)
This, however, in not likely to happen very soon :(

By then, you never know, there may be a patch for samsung to go along with the forementioned hack...

keefie

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North west England
thanks for that, just to clarify then , my cam as I quoted is one of these euro ones then ? you say it needs to be 'patched'I am sure I read that you can only patch the old ones? am I getting confused with the patch on the samsung?or do I just program a card as say '5 in ' then put it in my irdeto then recieve?have tried this with very little success:(

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
The patching of software in receivers and the patching/flashing of software in CAMs are two entirely different things.

You said your Irdeto CI CAM has part number 901275.
That is the Euro series II CAM and is not directly flashable/patchable (you would need to remove the chip to do so)

But not to worry...
With a small number of receivers (The Samsung9500 being one such example) it is possible to get 5/6-in-1 by using a suitably programmed funcard or DS9-card inserted into a standard unflashed Euro Irdeto CAM - like the one you have. To enable this feature, you need to patch the receiver's software (this configures it to handle the control messages passed to the Irdeto CI CAM in such a way that it behaves like a multi-encryption device. More about that elsewhere on this board.

2old