Which Card and programmer? I'm Confused!

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have a Humax CI5100, Aston v1.05 and goldcard, dual lnb fixed dish for 19east and 13east.

Up untill now I didnt have a computer so my local sat dealer upgraded my card with seca codes once a month for £10. I just recently got a laptop so I quite fancy getting a card programmer. Reading around this forum it seems my best bet would be an elvis programmer, 5in1 funcard and a magic module to get the maximum amount of channels possible. Is this right? My local sat dealer tried to sell me a magic module and atmel card for £180 and said he would update the card for me once a month for £20 a time.

Whats the difference between a funcard and an atmel and are all the different encryptions on the same card?

Will the fact that I am using a laptop cause any problems while programming cards?

Whats the difference between an elvis and a multiprog?

It seems very complicated. Is there a simple guide to card programming which uses laymans terms? I reckon the first time I try it I will fry my card!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Goffy, your local sat dealer is a bad lad. :)

You will be limited with your present CAM, so something like a Magic Module or Freecam would be beneficial, You are somewhat limited also by the fact that you don't have a steerable dish, there is a lot of good TV on satellites other than the two you can see.

Whats the difference between a funcard and an atmel and are all the different encryptions on the same card?
They are the same thing, yes you can put 6 in 1 files on there.

Will the fact that I am using a laptop cause any problems while programming cards?
Can do, but Win 98 should be OK.

Whats the difference between an elvis and a multiprog?
Both names for the same thing.

If you buy an Elvis there should be no shortage of knowledge and help available here from the members.

PS. Your LNB is called a Monobloc, using the name dual will cause confusion as it means something different.

goffy

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Rolf. Its all becoming a bit clearer now.

I actually used to have a fully motorized 1metre dish at my old address (Pace 508ip analogue and Philips D2MAC) but its not possible here. I used to be a dab hand at programming D2MAC cards but this digital lark is a very steep learning curve:)

I expect the elvis will come with instructions or a software disc that guides newbies like me? Just to save me pestering the forum with questions every day:D

Anyone recommend a decent dealer with reasonable prices who doesnt mind answering questions and providing aftersale advice to confused punters?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi Goffy

You can purchase the Elivis by visiting here and you can see the manufacturers website here . The best software is Multiprog by TJ and you can download it from here

Best of luck