Which channels are free ?

busman12

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
My Location
UK
I have purchased a dish & receiver from Maplins so i can get the free channels.

:confused I`m abit confused by the large amount of satellites. :confused Is Astra the main one for the UK channels ( BBC, ITV, FilmFour, QVC etc.. etc..) ?
:confused Is Astra the one i should be pointing the dish to ?

:confused Do you need a viewing card for BBC & Itv ? I read somewhere you do.

I propped the dish out the front - not put on wall in position yet - and got what i think was either german or dutch channels from a quick scan of one satellite.

Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You want the Astra 2/Eurobird 1 cluster at at 28E.

http://www.flysat.com/ebird1-astra28.php

the pale blue ones are the free ones.

BBC & ITV & all the shopping channels are completely free. You will not be able to watch C4 & C5 on a Maplins box.

Your dish is probably currently pointing at 19E

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
busman12 said:
:confused Do you need a viewing card for BBC & Itv ? I read somewhere you do.

To expand on what Analoguesat said, you can't get Channel 4 & 5 for a reason. The reason is that they encrypted and while it is "free" to view them, you need a freeview card. I think you can get this from sky, its to allow you to use a receiver to get the 5 channels inside the UK.

Why the hassle? its to stop people outside the UK getting 4&5 which carry syndicated programs like lost, desperate housewives etc I believe.

Just thought I would add a note, as the first time I saw that comment about no 4&5 it baffled me!

Paul