which direction???

heiman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Hello,

I have a 60 cm dish already pointing at Hotbird. And just wondered which way would 15.0W would be pointing? More to the left or more to the right? since i need to know if the installation can proceed of the dish.
I been to a satellite shop to have a motorised system to be installed but they say that it is not possible to have the channel i want like vtv @ 27.5oW(INTELSAT605), and Tzu tv, Mac Tv etc @ 15.ow(TELSTAR 12?
because they are not listed in the satallite magazine?
I have read the sat magazine myself, and looked up the following freq of Telestar 12, 15.0w Analogue, and it only shows (Telestar) and it is only a test channel. If you however go to the lyngsat.com website it shows u a whole list of channels on their. Same with Intelsat605-27.5oW.
I am a novice to satellites, so can anyone help?
Thanks
I have been quoted a whoping 800 Pounds out of my budget that includes an echostar system(unsure of model), and 80cm dish, and installation. Is there any cheaper alternatives and can anyone tell me any good dealers in London who really knows what they are talking about?

Regards

Heiman

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
Hi
Look at the sun around midday - that`s near enough due south. 15degW is to the right of that a bit and a bit lower in the sky- probably where the sun is at 3-4pm. 27.5W is a bit further to the right. You can find out exactly by checking the azimuth(or angle) from London if you search the web. Try www.satsig.net.

Definitely possible to receive Tzu tv and Mac tv, which are in the clear from 15W - I have just watched them. Also a few Iranian channels on this sat in the clear. I get a few testcards from 27.5W and as you say, Lyngsat suggests VTV should be available. I can`t get a signal from Dundee - but you may have a better chance in London. Perhaps someone else can help here?

£800 sounds slightly steep for the whole system, but that may be a reflection of London prices compared to Scotland. Everything`s cheaper here, except petrol! Again perhaps someone with local knowledge could advise?

There are also a few oriental channels available on Hotbird at 13E - Thai TV. and Sun channel from Korea (sometimes encrypted). Also I think a couple of Chinese and Japanese.

Good Luck
Ckrys1

TB

Reaction score
I got echostar dsb2200 1 metre dish, lnb, big bracket thing and gold card, 350 bucks all in. I suppose motorised would be another 100 bucks on top, so your looking at 350 bucks for instillation, which sounds a bit expensive. Mind you I'm installing mine myself, and getting a few problems, but hey thats all the fun of it, and with the help of advice of the good people on here I'll get there in the end. Again bit like previous post I'm in Wales, so everything cheaper here, because its slave labour wages, so its all relevant. Even where I live in Wales, if you get the yellow paper and have a look prices get even cheaper the further West you go, where there really is no money.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The cost of the installed system will depend largely on the type of receiver being supplied, if it was say a digital/analogue the price may be higher.

There are several people advertising in what satellite mag who advertise both DIY and installed systems, you can use them as a comparison

Rolf

heiman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Nov-01 AT 01:19 PM (GMT)]Thanks guys......
So can anyone recommend a good budget reciever to recieve these channels im after? Is HUMAX(motorised?) 5300/5400 Compaitable to recieve these, or not good enough?
and if anyone knows if VTV is avaiable, please let me know..as i do not want to fork out alot of money to come to a dispointment.
Thanks

regards
Heiman

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Assuming you are in the northern hemisphere, Telstar 12 would be West of Eutelsat by 28 degrees on a map (nearer 30 degrees in global scales)

The Humax is not a motorised receiver in the sense of ability to connect to actuators, but it does have DiSEqC capability, which if used correctly, can move the dish down the LNB cable

This requires a bit if knowledge setting up, but a 1m Dish and motor system with Humax should be installed and working on most channels in about half a day. No idea of local installation costs but then its not easy without a visual inspection (you could be in a forest, in the basement flat of a building North of Canary Wharf, 100m from the nearest position for the dish etc etc). All additional materials and time will cost money

heiman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Thanks Thanks...

Ive just been out to sat shop today, and they couldnt find a channel vtv @ all!! Does it exist or dont it?
Could someone who has a motorised system, please tell me if they know where its at??

heiman

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
Been looking for VTV!
The 27.5W freq given in Lyngsat give me no signal, nor my mate who lives in Reading and who has a well set up system with 1m dish.
There is a test card on 8W - called VTV 4 info. It is a whole page of oriental writing ??Vietnamese and obviously I havn`t a clue what it says, but it does mention the date 17-10-01. If you speak Vietnamese I could post it here - let me know.
Confusingly there is also achannel on 5W - VT4 which is clear but in Dutch. Take it this is not what you want.
I note VTV from Vietnam have a website with contact details - maybe they would help.

heiman

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 22-Nov-01 AT 08:45 PM (GMT)]Woah thanks for that ckrys1,
so looks like no alternatives then hey.

Regards
Heiman