which DVB-s cards produce least heat?

FRAZER

Reaction score
I am dithering hopelessly over which satellite card to buy, but one determining factor could be the amount of heat it produces, as the plan was to house it in a fanless case (Silverstone LC-06). As the CPU will at first be only a Via C3 1GHz, I was going to buy one of the Skystar1/Nexus/ Technotrend Premium models- which is all a little confusing in itself- but have read that some cards can get rather hot. This seems especially to apply to the 1.3 revision (are all the models actually named SkyStar1 this version?), but how do the others fare in general, and is there any card, whether hardware decoding or not, which is particularly good at staying cool?

Thanks for any advice,

Frazer

nacturnal

Reaction score
FRAZER said:
I am dithering hopelessly over which satellite card to buy, but one determining factor could be the amount of heat it produces, as the plan was to house it in a fanless case (Silverstone LC-06). As the CPU will at first be only a Via C3 1GHz, I was going to buy one of the Skystar1/Nexus/ Technotrend Premium models- which is all a little confusing in itself- but have read that some cards can get rather hot. This seems especially to apply to the 1.3 revision (are all the models actually named SkyStar1 this version?), but how do the others fare in general, and is there any card, whether hardware decoding or not, which is particularly good at staying cool?

Thanks for any advice,

Frazer
hi.
revision 1.5 is better than 1.3 .you can use a pci card type cooler fan if u find the tuner is too hot.

FRAZER

Reaction score
Thank you. Only trouble is, I'm not going to have any spare slots for a cooler! Are/were any of the 1.5 revisions sold as SkyStar 1 cards, or are they always sold as the Technotrend Premium?

Frazer

FRAZER

Reaction score
Well yes, I have been considering the Skystar USB, or the Hauppauge DEC3000- which can be used without a PC too- but was ideally hoping to keep everything in the box if possible; I'm really trying to rid myself of a few of the boxes under the TV, but will still need a digibox for ITV/Channel 4, and will probably keep a normal satellite receiver as well, both for ease of use, and to be able to watch one thing whilst recording another.

Thanks,

Frazer