Which DVD writer?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I’m looking for a dual format DVD rewriter.

At the moment I am thinking of the NEC 2500A,
http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/134/1

With its DVD writing spec of 8x for both + and – R and 4x for both + and – RW and 32x CD writing it’s quite impressive. It also seems to have excellent reviews for media compatibility and write errors (rather, lack of write errors).

However it doesn’t support Mt. Rainier or recognise CD-Rs over 90mins long, two things that could be useful (and two things my old CD Writer did).

The only alternatives I can see at the moment are the Pioneer 107 (more expensive) or the LiteOn 812S (able to write CDs at 40x)

Does anyone have any experience of this drive, or know of an alternative I should be looking at?

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Plextor 708A, expensive but they are very good. They are also bringing out a new model soon with 12x(!) DVD+R and 8x DVD-R. If your old CD writer still works, then why not keep it and add the DVD burner as a second device.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I have to say that I wouldn't touch Pioneer drives with a bargepole, Ive had a DVD player and DVD-R writer and neither of them have worked. Unfortunately I got the first one from a computer fair and the second one I didn't try until 6 months after I'd bought it. Maybe unlucky, but that sort of bad luck i cannot afford.

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I treated myself to a Pioneer standalone and Pioneer DVR106 at xmas and cant fault them. I haven't had a duff burn yet using bulkpaq 4x dvd-r. There is plenty of support for this drive, even at dudez. Both support +- & RW.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Have you used a Plextor 708 cjgall?

I have heard very good things about Plextor’s in the past, but have often wondered if they are worth the extra cost, The Plextor 708A is over £45 more expensive than the NEC 2500, it also only writes –Rs at 4x and –RWs at 2x. Unfortunately this puts it out of my price league I think, but the recommendation is much appreciated.

Thanks for the info on Pioneers Rolfw, now I think about it my dad has a pioneer CD reader in his PC and it has never liked some disks, even official pressed ones that have read fine in other drives.

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Didn’t see your reply Pullet_Surprise when I was writing mine, a friend here has the 106 also and his only duff burn was his fault, they seem to have got something right with that range. But unless the 107 is significantly (if at all) better than the nec 2500 I think I will stick with the nec, and it’s cheaper.

haga

Reaction score
My Location
Essex
Check out the new teac, I have used and installed loads of different dvd writers and pioneer all seem to have faults, I've always used teac cd and dvd writers and speak as I find, they have never gone wrong, will record any media you throw at them (using nero) and they aint badly priced.
haga

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
PoloMint said:
Have you used a Plextor 708 cjgall?
Yes, I have a Plextor CDRW and a Plextor DVD+/-RW. In an older PC I have a very old Plextor CD ROM drive which is still going strong. With Plextor you pay for the excellent firmware and support. If a Plextor breaks down they come an collect it, repair it and then bring it back. Not that I've ever heard of a Plextor breaking.

I have noticed that the Plextor 708A is dropping in price at the mement. Also, Plextor are about to launch a new drive which means that the 708A will drop even further in price.

Don't get me wrong though, the NEC looks like a great choice. If you want to read some user experience that take a look at http://www.dvdrhelp.com.
For experiences about the NEC 2500A click here. As you will see, the users vote it a whopping 9.2 out of ten so it must be a good drive.

Good luck!

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Well I finally ordered the NEC 2500 drive tonight...

The Plextor does look fantastic, but I just couldn’t see enough advantage over the NEC to warrant the big price difference. If I had waited for the new Plextor dive to launch so that the 708A would drop in price even further I could see myself paying more for the new one, or waiting for the dual layer writers to come out. The Teac ones also didn’t seem to have any advantage over the NEC.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys, it’s much appreciated :)

manikm

Reaction score
Get the LG4081B - only about £60 oem and its the first ALL format drive - inc DVD_RAM (for those with set top box DVD Recorders)

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
manikm said:
Get the LG4081B - only about £60 oem and its the first ALL format drive - inc DVD_RAM (for those with set top box DVD Recorders)
Yes, looks good but does it actually read a RAM disk that was burned on a set top DVD recorder? I heard that such disks are usually unreadable (different UDF format?) on PC DVD RAM drives and if they are readable its virtually impossible to copy the video streams from them. It is also a good idea te check a drives CD/DVD ripping quality.

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
im using an nec 1300 which is multi format

its not quite as fast as the 2500 but do you really need that kind of speed?
the faster you burn the more chance of a coaster

(new pc ticking along just fine rolf lol) ;)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Glad to hear it BRD :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Fife, Scotland
My NEC 2500 arrived earlier in the week, been a bit too busy to try it out properly but burnt two DVDs last night with no problems. Only at 4 speed, but that’s because of the disks (well I hope it is). Media reported to work at 8x is both harder to come by and expensive at the moment, oh well.

I don’t see myself needing to use DVD ram disks, (I have never used and am unlikely to use a stand alone recorder in the near future, so even if they are compatible with PC writers I wouldn’t use the ability).

I did think about the 1300, but the 2500 was just too tempting. The first CD writer I bought was a 4x and I spent the next 2 years wishing I had bought the 8x one I was looking at at the time which wasn’t all that much more expensive, so I decided not to do the same thing again.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
My Location
Still, more than 4 gigabyte in 15 minutes is still fast! DVD RAM disks are mostly used professionally and in a few set top recorders.

The trouble with computer equipment is that by the time you buy something its almost out of date. No doubt dual layer, triple sided ultra turbo 48x DVD burners are just around the corner. :) I'm quite content to burn disk are 4x on my 8x drive for the moment, at least when 8x disk become more widespread I will be like having a new burner.