Which hd satellite receiver to buy for receiving Freesat

rsm42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo - Novice
My Location
Wales
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a hd satellite receiver to pick up the astra digital satellite used by Freesat. Rather than buy a freesat box I was looking at one of the linux type boxes that pick up the freesat channels. I've a few questions which I'm hoping you may be able to help with :

1. What boxes do you recommend ? I'm looking for entry level in terms of costs. it needs to be able to watch one channel and record another. Something like technomate tm5402 hd box ?

2. Can you connect to facilities like bbc i player with one of these linux type boxes rather than a freesat box ?

3. Am I right in thinking you can access more channels even with a static dish with a linux style box rather than a freesat box ?

4. I live in the North Wales / Cheshire area. Can anyone recommend any good local suppliers ?

Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks,

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
To be honest you are probably better off using a Freesat PVR

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
rsm42 said:
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a hd satellite receiver to pick up the astra digital satellite used by Freesat. Rather than buy a freesat box I was looking at one of the linux type boxes that pick up the freesat channels. I've a few questions which I'm hoping you may be able to help with :

1. What boxes do you recommend ? I'm looking for entry level in terms of costs. it needs to be able to watch one channel and record another. Something like technomate tm5402 hd box ?

2. Can you connect to facilities like bbc i player with one of these linux type boxes rather than a freesat box ?

3. Am I right in thinking you can access more channels even with a static dish with a linux style box rather than a freesat box ?

4. I live in the North Wales / Cheshire area. Can anyone recommend any good local suppliers ?

Any assistance would be appreciated - thanks,

The TM5402 isn't a Linux box, but if you're set against getting a Freesat one, it'll get you the BBCi channels. No internal disk recorder though, you would need to connect a recorder externally. It has an excellent tuner, but it would be somewhat wasted if you are only interested in Astra 2 at 28.2E.

AS AS said, probably better to stick with a Freesat box.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If your plan is to watch and regularly record Freesat channels, get yourself a Freesat PVR, by far the best solution, with proper EPG, series link record etc, plus most of them will work with iplayer now.

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
"most of them will work with iplayer now."

This is new to me. How is it possible to go to the iplayer with a FTA box?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Because that information is in the context of Freesat boxes, not FTA boxes >> A Freesat box is more than an FTA box as it has a 7 (8, some say) day EPG, Red Button, Series Link, iPlayer access etc.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Note that if you DO get a Freesat box with iPlayer capabilities then you will have to use a proxy service (or similar) so that you appear to be based in the UK as it is geolocked to UK IP addresses.

In case you hadn't guessed the Freesat box has to be connected to the Internet.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Juan69 said:
How is it possible to go to the iplayer with a FTA box?

Generally speaking it isnt. If I-player is a requirement get a Freesat HD PVR - the Humax HDR boxes are well regarded.

rsm42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo - Novice
My Location
Wales
Thanks for all the replies. Just to give you some more details, I still have an analogue satellite system on the old Astra analogue satellite that worked until this month. As a motorsport fan I could pick up the German channel RTL and European Eurosport and watch lots of motor racing.

I don't really want to sign up to Sky and pad them loads of money ! This was why i was thinking of a box to pick the Euro satellite. I'm a bit restricted on space hence the static rather than motorised dish option. Does anyone know if I can pick up these channels e.g. RTL and European Eurosport via a static dish pointing to the Astra satellite or would I need a motorised dish to pick up the other satellites ? Also, are these two channels encrypted ?

I emailed a few local suppliers over the weekend to see if anyone was interested - No responses !

Thanks again,

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Both RTL & Eurosport Germany transmit on the clear in standard definition.

Eurosport only has German audio, HD versions are encrypted.

Your existing 19E dish will work fine although the lnb may need replacing if its more than 7 or 8 years old.

Now your additional information puts a completely different spin on things. Freesat receivers are best used for the Astra 2 UK channels. If you only want the Astra 1 German channels a generic fta box will work fine.

With a bit of clever electronics you could of course have the best of both worlds ;) :D

Juan69

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Very useful thread. Thank you to all contributors.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
@rsm42 : Another option if you are looking to watch F1 in HD without a monthly subscription. I have a VU+ receiver, with an additional softcam (emulator software) and an HD+ subscription card you can watch F1 coverage from RTL in HD from 19.2°E. The card is valid for 12 months and cost me €55. It also gives you access to the other (German) channels in the HD+ bouquet.

Setting up the VU+ and softcam, though by no means difficult, is not for the novice however. There is lot of support for the VU+ both on here and generally on the internet if you fancied going down that route.

rsm42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo - Novice
My Location
Wales
Thanks

With reference "If you only want the Astra 1 German channels a generic fta box will work fine." please can you suggest the type of box I need to purchase ? Also, please can you advise if i can pick up these channels i.e. RTL and European Eurosport with a static dish pointing to the Astra Satellite ?

Finally, where can i find a list of local reputable installers - thanks ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thats currently impossible to answer as you havent idicated what your requirements are, or things have got confused & we havent understood clearly.

You need to realise there are 4 sets of Astras available:

19E - Astra 1 - mainly Germany
28E - Astra 2 - UK/Ireland stuff
23.5E - Astra 3 - The Benelux countries
5E - Astra 4 - the Nordics.

So when you sat "the Astra satellite" its meaningless.

You need to decide EXACTLY what you want. 19E only?, 28E only?, both?

Id guess you justwant the RTL/Eurosport Germany stuff but making assumptions can lead to hassle all round!

Then put an advert in the Installer Wanted sub section.

rsm42

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo - Novice
My Location
Wales
Apologies but I'm still picking things up. In summary here are my requirements :

1. 60 cm dish - fixed (not motorised)

2. Two LNBs - one pointing at the "Astra 2A/2D/1N 28.2 degrees E satellite" (pick up Freesat channels) and the second pointing at the "Astra 1H/1KR/1L/1M2C 19.2 degrees E satellite"

Please can someone advise / recommend the best type of LNB set up to pick up the two satellites.

Thanks,