Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ok peeps with the sad ending of Enterprise on uk tv, its time to tell me which was the best ever Star Trek series.

Any reason you like - story lines, effects, totty etc.
If by any chance Ive missed on perhaps one of the mods will put it in!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I liked them all in their time, but I liked the way that DS9 had more of an ongoing plot and was a little more gritty.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Analoguesat said:
Ok peeps with the sad ending of Enterprise on uk tv,
Excuse me.

For those of us who can't (or won't) afford to buy Uncle Rupe another solid gold arse scratcher it hasn't finished yet and we're waiting for it to be shown on terrestrial TV.

Having said that I have to agree with Rolf that they were all good in their time but the original series just gets my vote as even today most of the episodes still work.

PaulR

Edit: I've changed the order (while I still can) and added Voyager, which was inexplicably omitted.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Crumbs, didn't realise Voyager wasn't there. :)

Liked Voyager, but found great holes in script, particularly as they were supposed to be making their way home, but they kept encountering the same enemy. :)

J

Jeff_19341

Being an "oldie" I agree that each series was superb at the time that it was being aired. I do not think it fair to compare one with another, the technologies used to make the episodes, the story lines, the script writers etc have all evolved over time. Being nostalgic I suppose that I must go for the original that started it all.
JuMbuCk
PS just realised that I have yet to vote
JuMbuCk

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
rolfw said:
Crumbs, didn't realise Voyager wasn't there. :)

Liked Voyager, but found great holes in script, particularly as they were supposed to be making their way home, but they kept encountering the same enemy. :)

Oops - I had a nagging feeling Id missed one out :-doh! I suppose thay had got lost on the intergalctic equivalent of the Milton Keynes roundabout system and passed the same point several times :D

RCP

Reaction score
Website
www.the2012londonolympics.com
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ sky dish, Sony DVD recorder, Panasonic Combi VHS/DVD recorder, Panasonic 42" LCD TV
My Location
UK
I rate Voyager as the best by far of all the Star Trek episodes since Captain Kirk due to it's fine blend of action and decent scripts (and the actors) without all the nanny state political correctness and indestructable good guys

As to the holes in the script rolf, I disagree, there aren't holes in the script of Voyager, they have been pulled into the Delta quadrant by the caretaker which is a pretty big expanse of space, and which seems to be infested with the Borg.

The Borg who incidentally are by far the best baddies since the Daleks.

As to the sexiest Borg, well, it's got to be either 7 of 9 or the Borg queen (when she had some limbs ;)

The best Voyager episode, a difficult one, possibly the episode when the Doc drops into 7 of 9's body and proceeds to get her pis*ed as a fart :) alternatively, the very last episode.

AIMHO

What do you think?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Wasn't speaking of the Borg RCP, it was the other lot, the Kazon, how many times did they come across the same lot, always after the Voyager technology, but seemingly having just as good themselves. Not saying I didn't like it, just that there could have been a little more attention to detail.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I much prefer the original series, as it's closest to Rodenberry's original idea of "Wagon Train in space". Unfortunately, the special effects now look "unconvincing" by modern standards .....

Next Generation is still good - although different - so 2nd best.

And yeah, there's the "nitpickers' guides", which list all the script/ continuity errors in nauseating detail!

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Did someone forget the films ?

I found II, 111 and Iv to be very entertaining.

Even though The Wrath of Khan followed on the adventures of The Bounty from TOS, as a sequel was excellent. Search for Spock and Voyage Home were similarly linked and nicely done.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The Voyage Home was in my opinion far and away the best of the lot, humour action and even a bit of suspense, loved it. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
As I understand it, the even numbered Star Trek films are good and odd ones bad (for some strange reason!), though this stopped with "First Contact" (see Internet Star Trek articles, etc).

The 1st movie - directed by Robert (Sound-of-Music) Wise - was called "flying dental equipment" by one critic, so no 2 had more story and less effects (as it should be!), and Ricardo Montalban was great as Kahn.

No 3 was Spock's death, Nimmoy's price for "appearing" (he got fed up, wrote the book "I Am Not Spock", then gave in and wrote another book "I Am Spock"!).

Yeah, no 4 was good (Nimmoy directed, again characters not hardware, plus the humour!).

No 5 was dire (dir Shatner).

But no 6 good again, especially with David Warner as a Klingon (though he quickly gets killed off!).

After that I lose count ......

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Well i have to say ST:NG because although the Original series with Kirk and spock was popular, it was the Bigger budget NG that got everyones attention.
from there people wanted more!!! so people watched re runs of the Original again and again :) even though they knew the rocks wasnt real and was light as a feather :D... the stories were good, proper sci fi.

i have to admit to being a BIG trekkie, i have every episode on DVD the originals, Next Gen, Deep space and Voyager.. and im getting the Enterprise ones at the moment... thats alot of DVDs lol wife hates em

Star Trek is the reason i bought SKY, when they bought the rights to Next gen and were showing them on Sky one.... i couldnt bare to wait for them to appear on BBC 2 so nipped in comet with wad in hand :) must have been about 1992'ish

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
So, for those of us who haven't a $ly subscription the last episode of Enterprise went out today.

I found it a very moving storyline and just loved the way it was tied in with TNG personnel. Only Riker and Troi appeared but was that really Data's voice? And I'm sure that I'm not the only one who noticed a distinguished bald head from the rear in the crowd scene! I know it couldn't have been Patrick Stewart but the actor used was a good match.

Very sad that the writers saw a need to kill off one of the main characters and I'm not sure that it was really necessary.

The series was really getting into its stride, due I'm sure to fan Manny Coto becoming an executive producer, and had had some really strong storylines. Many of the plot glitches from the early stories were explained away and some even made to appear deliberate as part of extremely long story arc. Who amongst us could not have been impressed with the explanation for the Klingons' bronze appearance in the original series and the masterful two part story set in the mirror universe.

Finally, who will not be sad to see the departure of Jolene Blalock and her wonderful arse.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
liked them all, but picked voyager for one reason only:)

rato

International Administrator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800; Nokia 9800s; Nokia 9902S w/T-Rex 3.66
w/ Inverto IDLP-40TL +
Technisat 33 dish; Pace DS430N + Humax HDCI-2000 w/
Gibertini OP 1.25m dish w/Inverto 0.3dB. & Invacom 0.2dB. w/ Spaun SAR 411;
CAS 3;FUN7; SkyStar2; AltDVB;
My Location
Setubal, Portugal
Had them running in Portugal in 2003 on the now gone SIC Gold channel, and on SIC Radical from the first series(they showed the pilot episode), up to the 3rd. season of Next Gen, then the SIC Gold channel ended in late 2004. Never saw them again on SIC Radical which started to show Battlestar Galactica as their alternative.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Voyager, has to be, not because of the storylines and stuff, I just like the Intrepid-class design, it's layout and the interiors, very nice. Yes, I like TNG a lot (as that was what got me into Star Trek), but most of the time the stories were predictable.

As for the Movies, First Contact, absolutely brilliant, seeing the first warp ship, the Phoenix, Zephram Chochrane as he actually was (not some saint who saved humanity from self destruction, but as a drunk who was more interested in money than salvation), and, seeing the all-new Enterprise-E, Sovreign-Class, similar shape to Voyager, but bigger, much bigger, and like Voyager, there is no "neck" between the Saucer and Stardrive (or Engineering) sections which give the both of them a nice sleek look about them and say "Look at me, I can shift like 5h1t off a stick and I can beat the pants off the Borg anyday" to me (well, they don't literally say that, it's just the shape and stuff that gives you that feeling that it would say something like that), plus those big Nacelles, they're niiiice especially with the red swirly patterns on the Bussard Ramscoops (the first 'Trek to have an animated Ramscoop since TOS).... :D

Can you tell I'm a Trekky???:-rofl2

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I thought Trekkies didn't call themselves Trekkies ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Channel Hopper said:
I thought Trekkies didn't call themselves Trekkies ?

That's true, but everyone I know calls me one so might aswell play along (I'm a trekker actually.... :p )

EDIT:
Oh, and one more thing... *points*
< -----

EDIT EDIT:
Changed my avatar again....

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Good to see this old poll is still gathering votes and hasnt been consigned to the intergalactic dustbin :D

Status
Not open for further replies.