Which is the best Sci Fi series...Past and Present

wolsty

"Satellite Expert"
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo, Humax IRCI5400z, Sony Bravia KDL-32EX403, 1.1m Triax, Technomate TH-2600 DiSEqC mount, Sony BDV-E280 Home Cinema system, ancient Logik Freeview PVR.
My Location
Kernow
I remember watching, with great enjoyment, Blake's Seven. My 26 year-old daughter still speaks of the evenings when we watched it together. Her Mum was out at a Keep Fat class, her older sister was at Brownies, the younger two weren't yet born, so she had me to herself. We ate sweets, drank pop and watched avidly the improbable antics of the cast. Avon was our favourite and Callie always looked as if she'd spent too much time standing in the rain.

I loved Dr Who, whose collection of nubile assistants always managed to trigger my teenage testosterone machinery. In later manifestations, Tom Baker's portrayal had deliciously subversive/anarchist undertones.

I'm not a great fan of the later versions of Star Trek, but I have to say that Seven of Nine is the answer to an old man's fantasy deficiency.

But what of Quatermass? In my youth, the black and white series scared me shitless and, having watched it against my parents' express wishes, I have only myself to blame. I still remember nights of sheer terror, with every noise, light, movement and thought sending me for the security under the covers.

I've a soft spot for Red Dwarf, but I'm not convinced that it's science fiction.

The original Star Trek is certainly high on my list of favourites.

But if you're forcing me to vote, and on the assumption that few of the members are aged enough to remeber Quatermass, I'd have to go for Blake's Seven.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Wolsty, I'd forgotten about Quatermass, I had the same experiences as yourself with it, those of attraction and fear. There were a couple of others in the sixties as well, but i can't remember the names.

@ Master_73 I deliberately didn't include Star Wars as was really looking at TV series, but certainly was hooked when the first film was released.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
It's gotta be the original Star Trek - this was the Daddy of everything else!!

I often think I would like "To boldly go where no man has gone before..."

...now where might that be...:cool:

Billyreh

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Look I dont care what anybody says, Star Trek the original was the best series ever there was Scfi, there was humour, there was action and it lead on to things bigger and better it all started for there.

Trust me I'm a Doctor, i know what Im talking about.

Billy:-righton

bigrandydavid

site tea lady
Reaction score
My Location
elliots butchers
Originally posted by digdog
It's gotta be the original Star Trek - this was the Daddy of everything else!!

I often think I would like "To boldly go where no man has gone before..."

...now where might that be...:cool:

i would have said edwina curries nether regions up until a month ago;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
and technically brilliant given that it was originally made in a simple studio.

The same could have been said of Blakes Seven, never was there such a small shoestring

Must admit I do like Red Dwarf, for being so funny. Forgot about Space 1999 which had me hooked every Saturday, but then including that you would have to add all the Gerry Anderson products, starting with UFO (again I stayed up very late, very young for it, and had a thing about Gabrielle Drake in a short skirt) and then Captain Scarlet, Terrahawks and even the Japanese spin off of that series.

Are puppet shows allowed ?

Who in their right mind put in Battlestar Gallactica ?

johnappleby

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2 x technomate 1500ci 1mtr motorised dish
My Location
n/e england
hi. to all

got to be star trek once a treky always a treky

pip

Stardust

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Can I only make 1 choice?
That's almost imposible, there are so many good series.
But I go for stargate, but I like startrek voyager and outher limits also very much.
There was also another serie named voyager, about time travel and correcting history failures.

J

JohnK

Hi

Voted for Star Trek and then realised 'V' was on the poll otherwise I would have voted for it ,

JohnK

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Stardust, I could have made the poll multivote, but didn't think that there would be so many options when I first started and I cannot change the format retrospectively.

@ JohnK, Have changed your vote.

@ CH, would have included the puppet shows, but was starting to run out of space, I would need another 10 options.

phillpayne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
humax 5400z patched to hot 11.1, v box mrk2, 1.1m triax dish, jeager 12" activator .6 lnb, modified pet123 settings
My Location
kent
hi all,
i have cast my vote for stargate sg1, as i find it has action and comedy, and just a little titilation, i used to watch buck rogers, but that was more for the crumpet in the tight suits:)
phill

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
Just voted for Dr Who and now see that I am the only one.

Is there nobody else over 40 around here.
I feel sad now......Logan has another RUNNER.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As I said above Razor, in hindsight, I should have allowed multiple votes, but wasn't aware of how many fine series there were, so didn't think it was appropriate. I would guess that if the multiple votes were allowed, people would have perhaps voted for an early series and a later favourite and under these circumstances, Dr Who would have been a big contender..

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Couldnt attach this earlier

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
i used to watch buck rogers, but that was more for the crumpet in the tight suits

I just lurve the Internet, memories just flood back after a quick surf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Mind you, Voyager has its high points :)

7 of 9 as she should be.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As does Enterprise........

lincsat

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Well that lot would make a good week on Sci-fi channel :)

I grew up with Star trek and the Gerry Anderson puppet series (anyone else remember Fireball XL5). I love the comedy Sci-fi - Red Dwarf and Hitchikers guide to the galaxy, quatermass was intense.

My favorite current series is Enterprise, but my all-time favorite has to be UFO

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, remember Fireball XL5 well, there was also another series which had a ship called the galasphere, it was called Space Patrol, but I believe that it only had one series showing, you can go to This Site to read more