Which is your preferred Viewer for PC satellite TV

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Wow, thats a fine program indeed!! I wish there was one like this for the Yankse, Schmanksee, Fenrir, Tits and bits as well....
Also, does it look like that the DVBProg is the preferred viewer now rather than MyTheater?

You can pick more than one option if you like a couple of viewers equally, if yours isn't there, then post here before voting and it will be included.

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hi TG, I used to be a MT fan but I find ProgDVB much more stable, smoother and easier to use.
Even with a high spec system I get hangs with MT and I find it temperamental (ver 2.76)

Maybe we should have a poll for the favourite DVB software ? :rolleyes:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Maybe I should try it. Is there somewhere wher it can be downloaded?

K

kalamar

I be using MT 2.76 with a Nexus-s and have ZERO problems with it,I use the hardware mode.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
i like alt-dvb even though i cannot run any of the programs mentioned correctly due to highly intensive processor needs i find this program rather nice in its layout but i would like to see a brightness level added into the main menu settings.

Rod Hulls Aerial

The Lord Lucan Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Star 2 - Motorised
Errr.. thats it.
My Location
The cold and foggy Yorkshire coast..
Hey Starman, probably the wrong place to do this but if you want a faster processor I'm getting rid of an old 900Mhz Athlon processor & board with 256Meg of ram, it works fine with ProgDVB and MyTheatre as it's the system I had when starting out in the DVB world.
Yours for a very very cheap price... and a donation to Satellites.co.uk :D
Send me a PM if your interested ?

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi Rod :D
thanks for the offer but i am in the process of buying an athlon 64 fx which is a very powerfull system, just waiting for the new socket 939 motherboards to come out any time now that support the unregistered ram, i have been looking into it for some time and am nearly in a position to buy. Perhaps somebody else may be interested???

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just running ProgDVb now for first time, setting it up ... soon I will know the diference!!!!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I am having some problems with importing the transponder files, and also with setting up of the chanel scanning. I sort of managed to get it done, but from my point of view MyTheater is much more used friendly when it comes to all the channel setup, and the different views you can choose to see your channel list.
Scanning channels with My theater is faster, and also ProgDVB did get a lot of channels without recognising their name, which does not hapen a lot with Mytheater.
Also, it takes longer for channels to apper when you click on them.
But it seems to solve one problem, it is less interfering with my dial up modem, Mytheater used to disconnect the connection once in a while...

The jury is still out!!!

K

kalamar

if you set DvbData program up ,it will not disconnect you modem,This is the program that comes with your DVB card and drivers,It is mistaking your phone connection for a satellite data connection, MyTheatre itself does not disconnect you,its the card drivers.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
kalamar said:
if you set DvbData program up ,it will not disconnect you modem,This is the program that comes with your DVB card and drivers,It is mistaking your phone connection for a satellite data connection, MyTheatre itself does not disconnect you,its the card drivers.

Hi Kalmar

If I understand correctly, it is the SS2 card driver that is disconecting my connection?

See also another thread on this subject
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=11252, it has a screenshots of the problem.

K

kalamar

yep I had the same problem and I fixed it by changing some settings in the drivers program, I use a Hauppauge Nexus-s and the drivers for it have a program called DvbData control and thats where my problem was , every time I minimized MT ,the network connections box would pop up ,it was anoying to say the least ! I dont remember exactly what I did to get rid of it but its gone now and all is working, I remember thou that I tried to just disable the satellite network connection and had some other problems . So just experiment with it till you get it fixed but it is NOT MT or any of those progs doing it,just the satellite card drivers data program. The card manufacturer assumes you are going to use it for internet too and thats the problem.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
ThanksKalamar! Good to hear that someone else had the same thing! I had a look at the settings, but I must admit I haven't got a clue. I called up the settings for the B2C2 Broadband Receiver PCI Adapter (see screenshot). Is there anything that looks like it should be different?
Other than that I could not find anything else that allows me to change settings.

K

kalamar

did you try disable it in control panel "network and dialup connections" (right click it) I have two !! of em (sat cards) listed in my menu and I disabled one of them.Seems some programs including the drivers install a new one everytime you install something,thats why I never install from any exe files,always use zips with the directorys intact. Have you ever messed with a program called "Casablanca" ? I was playing with it and it screwed up my dial up connections too ,just an idea.

K

kalamar

another idea......... dont know what version of windows your using but you can set it to NEVER DIAL A CONNECTION this is the proper way to have it set ,that way the programs have nothing to do with the dialer setup. This is one of the first things I set after installing windows. This makes the dial up and log off process manual operation.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Cheers Kalamar, great info. I will try it out!

Detlef

Reaction score
My Location
Bonn, Ostend
ProgDVB whilst being my favourite has had some dodgy official releases. 4.07 seems to be the most stable and is best for scanning channels. 4.38 wouldn't record properly but 4.39.6 seems quite good all round.

paddy22

Reaction score
I got into this ss2 stuff 3 weeks ago and fully expected to upgrade the pc, but I'm using MT 2.76 with the ss2 and 650mhz processor pc, granted I've got bags of ram, but MT never gives any bother, I pipe it to the tv and it chuggs along quite happily, B*ll*cks wish I'd got the remote version of the ss2, lol

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Im using a pentium 3 450mhz with 640 megs of ram and i cannot use the skycard 2 on encrypted channels as it is just too intensive for the machine but im going to put a spare 128 megs more ram in that my brother cant use so maybe that will help but i recon it needs atleast your quoted 650mhz processor to run ok. I have the remote but have not actually got around to setting it up yet. I would have thought that you got the remote along with the ss2 card as a package?

How are you managing to pipe the signal into your tv? the skycard 2 does not have an output on it unless you bought a more expensive version of the card with tv out, im curious as i would like to output the tv signal to my tv if possible and with all these new graphic cards these days surely there must be a way to do it. I have the cheaper ss2 card with no tv out unfortunately but atleast i have the remote :D
I will swap your tv out for my remote control :) :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Most of the newer Graphics cards have a TV out, you just have to change the settings to clone and enable the TV out.