Which LNB - Tv Cabo on 30w

sinbrad

Reaction score
Hi people, Have currently started my multisat project and have managed to get at least 8 different satellites with my current setup. However, even though I have managed this, when it comes to getting anything from Hispasat at 30w I am at a loss. I have the following...

1m dish with universal LNB, a technomate tm-1500ci and also a dragoncam with the latest predator software.

I have pointed the dish in the general direction using the motorised settings but cannot receive anything? I have even used a sat meter and tried to manually get a signal but still nothing. Could it possibly be the LNB or is my dish just not big enough?

I do have an official Tv cabo box and card which I obtained from a friend in Portugal but in order to use it have to have a signal first (obviously)

lynnx78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
satellite dish 80 cm/universal 0.3 neosat LNB/motor interstar GI 100 diseqC 1.2/ (42E TO 30W) spiderbox 9000HD
My Location
united kingdom
If u get 8 sats it is not the lnb problem a 60 cm dish is enough to get hispasat the problem TV CABO is black @ the moment D+ is open on 30 west if u not get a signal it means your dish is not aligne properly:-bash

martz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Thomson Sky+ PVR3, Pace 2200 Sky box, Zone 1 Triax minidish with Thomson Quad LNB, 1m Gibertini and Technomate TM-1500CI+ Super (Patched) 1metre Gibertini at Astra 1 19.2°e
My Location
Barnet, North London
he said hes got an official box and sub

sinbrad

Reaction score
lynnx78 said:
If u get 8 sats it is not the lnb problem a 60 cm dish is enough to get hispasat the problem TV CABO is black @ the moment D+ is open on 30 west if u not get a signal it means your dish is not aligne properly:-bash

Well try as I might I cannot get a signal from 30w. I've tried everything and the sat meter doesn't even flicher. Sat has been moved everyway possible, up, down, left, right and even tried rotating the lnb but to no avail. With the setup I have didn't think rotating the lnb would mean anything as it is done automatically with the rotation of the dish (motorised). As said I have a tv cabo box and card, so if I was even getting a signal then I'd be all the way. Oh and if it helps further I am located on the North East of Scotland

R

Rd100

a 43cm dish is good enuf for hispasat also the best normal 40mm lnb i would say are the sharp one's

sinbrad said:
Hi people, Have currently started my multisat project and have managed to get at least 8 different satellites with my current setup. However, even though I have managed this, when it comes to getting anything from Hispasat at 30w I am at a loss. I have the following...

1m dish with universal LNB, a technomate tm-1500ci and also a dragoncam with the latest predator software.

I have pointed the dish in the general direction using the motorised settings but cannot receive anything? I have even used a sat meter and tried to manually get a signal but still nothing. Could it possibly be the LNB or is my dish just not big enough?

I do have an official Tv cabo box and card which I obtained from a friend in Portugal but in order to use it have to have a signal first (obviously)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
If the dish isn't motorised, have you tried reversing the Skew of the LNB? Looking from the front of the dish, twist it anti-clockwise to about 4:30 and have another go, this will help if not already done/tried...

sinbrad

Reaction score
Pulling my hair out now as tried everything and still no signal at all? Any other ideas or suggestions?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
sinbrad said:
Pulling my hair out now as tried everything and still no signal at all? Any other ideas or suggestions?

Have you checked your cables, plugs, connections etc?

dentista

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
powerbox by octal tv
My Location
uk
sinbrad, I do live as well in the north east of scotland and I have a 80cm dish!!! the reception is fine and maybe its your lnb I believe. I think you need one of 0.2 something I believe!!! By the way, r u portuguese???
Cheers

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
dentista said:
sinbrad, I do live as well in the north east of scotland and I have a 80cm dish!!! the reception is fine and maybe its your lnb I believe. I think you need one of 0.2 something I believe!!! By the way, r u portuguese???
Cheers

You don't need a 0.2dB LNB!!! :-rofl2

I use a Grundig Twin 0.6dB LNB on my indoor 80CM dish and it pulls in up to 80% signal strength and quality, however, you could be onto something there though, you could have dodgy LNB sinbrad or it's not in the right position in the clamp, e.g. (using text as I have no pics):

Code:
Insead of something like this:
¦¦=¦¦0
¦¦

Try this:
¦¦¦¦=0
¦¦

Where:
¦¦=0
¦¦

Is the LNB and ¦¦ is the clamp

Makes all the difference with all satellites...

dentista

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
powerbox by octal tv
My Location
uk
2vcbloke I still think sinbrad has probs with his lnb!!!! Which one should he get then?:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
dentista said:
2vcbloke I still think sinbrad has probs with his lnb!!!! Which one should he get then?:-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-rofl2 :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash

One that isn't attempting to break scientific law by claiming they have a noise figure below 0.3dB.... :-rofl2

But as always, substitute before shelling out to make sure it IS the LNB at fault, as before, it could be a cable fault or king in the cable, a bad connection, badly fitted F connectors, a faulty receiver or it's firm/software. Take things one step at a time, it's too easy to cure the symptom before the disease...

dentista

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
powerbox by octal tv
My Location
uk
so, ideally we here in the north should get a 0.3db lnb is that what you are saying?:-doh!

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
dentista said:
so, ideally we here in the north should get a 0.3db lnb is that what you are saying?:-doh!

Er, no, you get a better signal with a larger dish, not a lower noise LNB, LNB noise figures do very little for signal strength, and I have seen that when I used my 60cm dish whilst painting my 80cm and I initially used one of my 2 Humax 0.3dB LNBs, and compared to my Grundig Twin 0.6dB there was hardly any difference. But as Hispasat can be picked up easily with a Zone 1 Minidish in most of England, then my dish down here would be classed as overkill, but always better to be bigger than to be suffering rain dropout....

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I have pointed the dish in the general direction

Well that isn't good enough. Have you read all the guides showing how to set your dish up?

sinbrad

Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for your help so far. When it comes to setting up a manual dish I can do it with my eyes closed. This is my first attempt at a motorised setup and I have followed all the guidelines possible to achieve my aim. When I stated earlier that I had pointed the dish in the general direction of hispasat, I did so but then attempted to manually adjust it using my trusty satfinder meter. The metre didn't budge no matter what I did. As explained I have found quite a few other satellites which proves the LNB works upto a certain point and that being the case am doubting that it is the noise fig of the LNB as I am pulling in a good signal quality from the sats that I have. I also know that the cable, fittings etc etc are good otherwise I wouldn't be receiving anything if there were problems in that area. My receiver has the latest firmware etc and being brand new I cannot believe it is that either. My dish motor compensates for skew itself so also cannot see it being a problem with skew. So you see I have exhausted everything in my knowledge of setting things up but still no hispasat.

sinbrad

Reaction score
dentista said:
Cheers

Where in the NE do you live? Sadly not portuguese, Just worked there for a couple of years

sinbrad

Reaction score
mhku said:
Well that isn't good enough. Have you read all the guides showing how to set your dish up?

I did state that after pointing the dish in the general direction with the use of the motor, I tried MANUALLY to get the satellite purely because if I am getting other satellites then the motor would put me in the rough direction of the satellite without having to get the compass out!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
It may well be that your arc is wrong, it may be that you reference point is wrong. What satellite did you use to achieve your zero position?

sinbrad

Reaction score
rolfw said:
It may well be that your arc is wrong, it may be that you reference point is wrong. What satellite did you use to achieve your zero position?

I used thor at 1'west to align the dish. Remember though I did use the dish as a manual type when I tried to tune into hispasat so the arc wouldn't come into it. It was only when I could not get hispasat that I redone all my settings and reverted back to getting the satellites that I could using the motor