Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1500CI+ and
Technisat SkyStar 2 USB HD and
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
TriAx 80cm Dish driven by a Darksat Motor.
Inverto 0.2db Silver Tech lnb.
My Location
Guernsey
I am kind of new to this satellite TV stuff and i am wondering which LNB is better a 0.3db or a 0.6 db ? Is one better for Digitial/analogue then the other ?

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Hi, welcome to the forum.

A 0.3 LNB noise figure is better, particularly if you are wanting to pull in the weaker transponders. If you are well within the footprints of the stronger satellites (the Astras, Hotbird etc.) then a 0.6 LNB will do, although it would be false economy to go for that one if you will be wanting to obtain the best performance on other birds.

Llew

Terrydlm

Learning Fast !
Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
My Location
Guernsey
Llew said:
Hi, welcome to the forum.

A 0.3 LNB noise figure is better, particularly if you are wanting to pull in the weaker transponders. If you are well within the footprints of the stronger satellites (the Astras, Hotbird etc.) then a 0.6 LNB will do, although it would be false economy to go for that one if you will be wanting to obtain the best performance on other birds.

Llew

I am thinking of upgrading my dish to a 1.2 metre so i will make sure i get a 0.3 db lnb.

Thanks for your help.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You're welcome. Come back here if you need any advice.. Plenty of people here willing to help.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Terrydlm said:
I am thinking of upgrading my dish to a 1.2 metre so i will make sure i get a 0.3 db lnb.
Thanks for your help.

You will of course be applying for planning permission or is Guernsey civilised and nobody gives a monkeys.

Terrydlm

Learning Fast !
Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
My Location
Guernsey
toppervte33h said:
You will of course be applying for planning permission or is Guernsey civilised and nobody gives a monkeys.

No we have a strict planning permission department but if i use one of those free standing dishes i.e. its not attached to the house, i beleive i don't need planning permission as it is not a permanent structure. Also you can't see it unless you are standing in my garden and 3rd i won't tell them !

IjonT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Opentel 3500 FL, LNB 0.6 dB, 60 cm Fe
Terrydlm said:
I am kind of new to this satellite TV stuff and i am wondering which LNB is better a 0.3db or a 0.6 db ? Is one better for Digitial/analogue then the other ?

My experience: I have better signal quality with cheap SRT J21N 0.6 dB LNB than with expensive Golden Interstar GI-201 0.3 dB one.

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I am using AD-9500 Alfa Box Digital Decoder and Currently I'm in Arabsat.
83cm dish and Universal KU LNB.
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
hi to everyone.
im just new here and i absolutely need help :(

i have separate dish and lnb.
and i like to put it together but i dunno how.
is there any rule how far is the lnb from the dish
and should i point the head of the lnb to the center of the dish?
or what?

coz i spent the whole day yesterday tryng to find hotbird 13E.
and i dunno if im my dish and lnb set up is not correct or
im not pointing to the correct position of hotbird.
is there any technique so that i can easily align my dish
to hotbird?

tnx in advance :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Ar-Ey said:
i have separate dish and lnb.
and i like to put it together but i dunno how.

The dish should have an arm or arms to hold the LNB it should fit on the end.
You can view dishes with LNBs fitted here if you do a search for members systems.

is there any technique so that i can easily align my dish
to hotbird?

Once you have the dish and LNB sorted you will have to mount both on a vertical support.

If other users nearby have a dish pointed at Hotbird this will give you a start as to where to point the dish. You can then use your receiver or a meter to find Hotbird. It is a high powered satellite and shouldn't be that difficult.

Again, a search on this site will give you a more detailed walk through on how to set up a dish using a compass and websites etc. These sites will give you elevation and direction settings for your location.

Ideal_18

Farrukh
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Star Track World-in-box II+CI
My Location
Pakistan
I think you have to check the parabola of you dish and the arc also its bit concern about the dish physical stat

Fagela

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 DAPCI. Sly Box, MM Ver .04+Pentacrypt1.11cam, Conax cam & Dragon cam, Penta VR3 card,MM card, Phoenix Infinty USB Programmer, 1m H-H motorised dish. Panasonic 42" Plasma TV.
Hi Guys,

As dish manufacturers seem to studiously avoid stating the weight of their products has anyone any idea of the approximate weights of the following dishes.
Funke 1m, Channel Master 1.2m & Fortecstar 1.2m.

While we're also discussing LNBs I would like to get an idea of ppls. preference between the say Syntec 2000 0.3db & the new Sharp 0.3db which I'm told is better than the Invacom 0.3db.

I have the Syntec but it's about 4 yrs. old.

Thanks.

IjonT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
IjonT said:
1. If it's an oval offset focus dish with the LNB arm at the bottom, you are snookered. Throw it away.

2. If it's a circular prime focus dish the LNB has to be in front of the centre of the dish and the entrance to its feed horn has to be at the focal point. You can find this by putting the dish on the ground, facing directly towards the sun (as near overhead as possible) and holding a piece of white card above the dish centre. Move the card away from the dish, watching the reflection of the sun on the dish-side of the card. When the sun is focussed to a small spot, that's the focal point, as near as you'll get it.

Big thanks mates! Esp. to IjonT. Acually I have visited all of these site before
and now things are seems to be more clearer than b4.

1. I think i have 2 of this dish type and im currently using it for my tfc (Atalantic Bird) and Arabsat at about 98cm and 83cm respectively. But...

2. I think i have this type of dish too. Around 1.6m but kinda old and rusty. Let me just make it clear. Does this have a 3 polar arms around it? Is it called triax dish? Can i still use this dish and still get a strong signal and also can I use any LNB to this dish? Because its original LNB is a lot bigger than what im using for my other two dish. And i think its not working anymore.

IjonT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ar-Ey said:
2. I think i have this type of dish too. Around 1.6m but kinda old and rusty. Let me just make it clear. Does this have a 3 polar arms around it? Is it called triax dish? Can i still use this dish and still get a strong signal and also can I use any LNB to this dish? Because its original LNB is a lot bigger than what im using for my other two dish. And i think its not working anymore.

I have no experience with such a dish but I suppose that it is really prime focus one.

I think that the original LNB is probably the C band LNB (you can try to receive some C band transponders on Arabsat 2C for istance to check if it is still working if your receiver is capable of it).

I have read that you need special LNB with flange and a feedhorn for prime focus dishes (see http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=37283 for instance).

But your original question was how to put your dish and LNB together. So I supposed that your dish has no LNB holding arm. If it does have it then you can use it, of course (and do not throw it away even if it is an offset dish).

(I even suppose that you can find the focus of the offset dish without LNB holding arm if you try hard enough. But I have no experience with it.)

Ar-Ey

Readin, Askin & Learnin
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Riyadh-Saudi Arabia
IjonT said:
I have no experience with such a dish but I suppose that it is really prime focus one.

Yes more probably it is a prime focus one but mine has a hole
on the center thats why im wondering where to point the lnb head.
Can u tell me what exactly is an offset dish and what are/is
the other type of dish.

IjonT

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup