which PC card to buy?

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
As I understand, I need a PC DVB card that can do a "blind search" , Am i correct in thinking that any DVB Card can do this? Eg. If I buy a Sky Star 2 for example, where do I get software for the pc that can do a search?

Thanks

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
What is your understanding of 'Blind Search'?

What do you actually want to do?

Give us a little more info, and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction...

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Im trying to receive Armenia tv on EUTELSAT w2 12.725 v 2/3 sr 3416, in an attempt to force viewers to pay for their service they are changing their PIDs every hour or so. My reciever will not pick up the channel upon a frequency search for some reason, and I understand that a blind searches simply searches for Anything on a satellite, and that this will help me to get the channel?

It still confuses me as to why the channel doenst come up on a normal frequency search? any reason for this?

and I presume RolfW is correct in saying that Setup4pc will sort the blind search for me ?

Thanks

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hey guys, I have been advised by the almighty RolfW that a Skystar2 card will allow me to do a "blind search" by using the setup4pc software. Could anyone with the card confirm this? ef. be able to search for ANY channels on a satellite without frequencies etc.

I am looking for Armenia tv on 12.725 V fec 2/3 sr 3416..for some reason ti doenst come up in a channel search on my reciever...and the pids change daily ..

Please help :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
harmio said:
Hey guys, I have been advised by the almighty RolfW that a Skystar2 card will allow me to do a "blind search" by using the setup4pc software. Could anyone with the card confirm this? ef. be able to search for ANY channels on a satellite without frequencies etc.

I am looking for Armenia tv on 12.725 V fec 2/3 sr 3416..for some reason ti doenst come up in a channel search on my reciever...and the pids change daily ..

Please help :)
Hiya,

had just about finished typing a lengthy reply to your PM when my stoopid computer fell over!

In short, I don't use setup4pc with my skystar2, so I can't tell you. Certain components of it get installed as part of the software bundle, but I disable the active component once I've installed my preferred viewing application (MyTheatre 2.76 - which won't do what you want if I understand your problem). If you feed MT2.76 the frequency, polarization and SR it'll do the rest for you as part of the transponder (or satellite) scan function.

I'm gonna have a play with W2, and I'll let you know if I come up with anything I think might be useful. I may also get a chance to play with the latest ProgDVB version as well.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hmm, I may be a useless tw*t, but I have noticed a couple of things.

Firstly, it may have just been typo on your part, but the listed SR for Armenia TV is 3418, not 3416.

I've tried scanning on 12725 V SR 3416, and nothing. Trying 12725 V SR 3418 brings up Armenia TV in the channel listings, but does not manage to identify any useful pids, and obviously no picture, but it did find it.

Also, I had a pathetic 4% signal strength, so I tarted around with my dish position, driving a few steps east and west of where my dish zeroes in for W2, and managed to get it up to a max of 19% but still no show. Checking the footprint (European beam) and it really does mean Europe, and very little else.

I get a fairly healthy 60% strength for TOP channel for example, so must be a very weak transponder?

Where abouts are you geographically?

Also, I've found out a little info on a plugin called 'PIDScanner V1.11'. I'll add to this if I find it's of any interest.

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hey..Ive never had a problem with signal strength from that satellite..Im in south wales using a 1m dedicated dish.

Im very confused as to what they are doing at the Armenian end, I know they say the channel is now "scrambled" but this is bullsh**t as its just the pids that are changing, and I would pay if it wasnt a ridiculous 200 quid !

Perhaps there is something that "ties" the PIDs to the network listing, and its therefore not registering with any channel searches.

Its really bizarre?? Im not sure whether to buy this card now...its very strange. That pid scanner thing sounds like it may do the trick? Ah i dunno...thanks for you rhelp so far mate!!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
OK, I've found it, but I'm not sure it will do what you want (and I'm not about to test it for you!)

I've translated the Russian readme into English for you. Seems it's scanning for IP data transponders.

Module it is intended for the search for flows, on which goes the broadcasting by the providers of satellite the Internet to its clients on protocol HTTP.

It is simple copy into kalog Modules of program ProgDVB.

Tuning in module a little.

First, it is necessary to select necessary transponder/kanal in ProgDVB.

In the second place, it is necessary to indicate the time, during which will be scanned each PID, and range of scanned pID'ov.

Everything, it is possible to press "Scan".

By result the work module there will be list PID'ov, on which is discovered MPE the flow.

U each PID'a will be brought out the characteristics - the types of the discovered packets and their quantity:

- IP;

- UDP;

- TCP;

- HTTP, if in TccP- packets HTTP- title is discovered;

- HTTP-proxy, if is discovered exchange HTTP through proxy- server.

Work module it is possible to interrupt at any moment.

List obtained PID'ov can be transmitted into the buffer of exchange.

Authors: Prog, UglyAdmin.

http://.shshsh.progdvb.com

The download description says 'This program searches PIDs on actual transponder' which sounded promising, but I don't think it's a goer.

You can get it here :- http://wVVw.dvbsoft.net/download.php?view.261

I'm sure that's not enough info for you to go buy an SS2, but I hope it helps.

(BTW an SS2 is a great piece of kit for the money regardless. Good backup for your STB, and can receive just about anything!)

harmio

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
well its worth a try I suppose..otherwise its a phone call to Armenia to subscribe. The odd thing is that the reciever they are offering for 68 euros doenst come with a card, or any module for decoding.. So I'm wondering what this "super reciever " is exactly. It's a very odd way to encrypt a channel. they also want 130 euros upfront! madness.
thanks for your help. i'll let you know how i get on.

jackpeas

Reaction score
My Location
Chicago,IL
I wondering to which DVB s card is the best?I got the Twinhan 1020 red, But it not working like i want it to.I have been looking at the nexus dvb s wintv video card .$180 to my house.I am trying to get some advise. jackpeas in chicago

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I'm sure you will always get a difference of opinion when asking that sort of question, but I think that there is no doubt that it's right up there with the very best, as is the Skystar 1, it's very close relative.

I also think that if we could get them in the UK for that sort of price, then a lot more people would upgrade from the Skystar 2 (it's little brother).