Which receiver _you_ have that is excellent?

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo; 2 dishes; Astra1+2 and Hotbird, Hispasat; external DiSEqC switch.
My Location
Midlands, UK
Hello everyone,

The subject line summarises my query, but to flesh it out...

I have tried a few receivers over recent years, and none have satisfied me. It gets tiresome waiting for that elusive firmware upgrade to finally fix problems or significantly improve the firmware.

I currently have a Technomate TM 6900 HD Combo Super, which whilst quite good, has a number of bugs which Technomate seem in no hurry to fix.

So, which satellite receiver do you have which matches all the following requirements:

SD and HD reception (presumably HD only from satellite, not yet UK Terrestrial Digital HD);

Terrestrial Digital SD reception in the UK
(must be capable of tuning time shared channels without removing channels not on air at the time of the scan);

SCART, HDMI, S-Video, Video+RCA(phono) inputs/outputs;

Built in card reader(s) and embedded decryption of a major encryption type, eg Viaccess, Irdeto;

Stable manufacturer firmware available with no perceptible bugs, whether intermittent or otherwise;

Accurate tuner capable of tuning and stable locking to all signals of moderate strength/quality
(I know other non receiver factors can affect this, but I mean you don't suspect the tuner is unreasonably failing to tune or lock on some signals/frequencies);

A free feature-rich and stable channel editor is available, specifically designed for this receiver model, whether supplied by the manufacturer or somebody else.
(for use via RS232/serial and/or US:cool:

So, do you have a receiver you can recommend?

Many thanks,
Lee
UK

PS I don't do or have any desire to undertake Card Sharing, and very little is now open via patches and softcams, so I can happily sacrifice any known support for these issues, if it means my list of requirements is met.
(That last part sounds a bit sinister doesn't it, but you get the idea ...)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
No such animal that I know of exists as yet give it time, others may throw a few in the pot though

leecovuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo; 2 dishes; Astra1+2 and Hotbird, Hispasat; external DiSEqC switch.
My Location
Midlands, UK
It indeed would seem then, Topper, that none exists.
My TM covers all the points except for some bugs and arguably a flexible channel editor.

Do all brands of satellite receiver have bugs? Why is this?
I suspect they are 'thrown together hurriedly' to compete with other brands, then the manufacturers are more interested in churning out and promoting a new model rather than stabilising their previous ones.
I assume anyway all 'bugs' can't be fixed with a remote firmware upgrade.