Which receiver? Inbuilt positioner or DiSEqC?

T

Tom

I have decided to buy a motorised system. Initially, I was considering either an original patched Humax 5400 or a Hyundai HS1000. After visiting a local sat shop I’m now a little confused about what I should buy. I was advised that although the above are good receivers, the motorisation system they use is slow compared with receivers having an inbuilt positioner. It was suggested that an Echostar would be a better option as it has an Integrated high power positioner as well as DiSEqC capability. Bearing in mind (like a typical female), I will probably sit maniacally switching satellites at a high rate of knots and will require an industrial strength motorisation system, what would be the best set-up?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I guess that he's right in a purist sort of way , but it really depends what you want out of the system. Perfectly true that the non-DiseqC positioners are usually faster, they can also handle bigger dishes, but many of the receivers that only offer DiseqC as an option are actually more user friendly from the point of view available working files and software.

The Humax 5400irci for example is one of the more popular receivers, it can be flashed to handle five different encryptions and there are always card files available.

For really smooth and fast sat changes, the multidish/multi LNB DiseqC system is the ultimate, but of course you need space and friendly neighbours to set it up.

Rolf

T

Tom

"For really smooth and fast sat changes, the multidish/multi
LNB DiseqC system is the ultimate, but of course you need
space and friendly neighbours to set it up".

Lol... Correct me if I'm wrong, but you are suggesting I have a stack of dishes???
With that kind of set-up I don't suppose I would have to worry about the neighboors - a slight wind and the house would be airbourne.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
:) Well it's the best setup for quick zapping, there are dishes on the market that can cope with several LNBs, there's a write up in the forum do a search for "Torroidal" to find out more information.

The motorised option would probably be cheaper though. :)

Rolf