Which receiver Kaon, Technomate or Dreambox

piersuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
I know many have asked for advice but having gone through the search none really answer in a few words which reciever out performs the next.

Therefore, could someone answer the question - Which receiver should I go for?

Dreambox DM500 s or c or si????
Kaon KSC 570
Technomate (which of the numerous models)

I need DiSEqC Control to control my Moteck 2100A Motor but I understand most of the above ranges have.

Also I see on EBay there are Kaon 570 with Hard Disk Drives, is this just a case of adding a HD to a 570 without one already in or are there others issues.

I have very little experience of sat systems but have been using my Technosat CI DIGIT for the last year or so.

All advice welcome.

Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
you will never get a definitive answer because :

A) Not many people will have owned more than one of the above and hence, you will simply get a stream of posts saying "I've got a ******** and it's the best"

:cool: There are many different criteria on which to judge a receiver's performance and each receiver will be strong on certain points

C) Will depend a lot on what you want to receive and how you wish to receive it, as to which may be best for you.

I haven't tried the Kaon, so cannot comment on it, although it is very popular and well supported with unofficial software patches.

I've seen the Technomate and set up a couple on motors, it is quite a nice receiver and well supported with unofficial patches, but in my opinion has been seriously and undeservedly over hyped.

I'm a fan of the Dreambox, as it pretty much does what the others do, but has capabilities to do much more, due to the Linix operating system, network connection and massive unofficial software support from several sources. The new DM500 also has hard drive capability if you do not wich to save fims to a network drive.

The biggest down side to the Dreambox is its tuner, as it is not as sensitive as some of the others, but I haven't found that to cause me too much of a problem. :)

This may appear to be biassed towards the Dreambox, but then it will be, because I fall pretty much fall into catagory A) as will most other members. :):-lmao

piersuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Thanks for that, to be honest that is what I wanted to hear.

Is there anything I should be looking for in respect of the DM500, a particular version which allows the use of an internal disk?

Cheapest I have found is on EBay at £159 is that cheap or is there somewhere hidden that offer a better option.

Thanks

Piers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look in the Dreambox section, there is a thread mentioning the new one with the hard drive, plus probably a few links to the cheapest suppliers. :)

piersuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
None at the moment
My Location
UK
Many Thanks

Piers

silvernet

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
UK
I have used the Kaon 570 and a Technomate 1000D.

The Kaon is far better, but avoid the one with the hard drive, it isn't as well supported as the standard one.

Kaon's have numerous sources of support, not just one..:eek: I agree with rolfw, the Technomates are a bit over rated/ over priced in my opinion.

The Dreambox is far too complex for my simple grey matter... ;)

bozyana

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
observe sat whenever im in the web.
My Location
sauda
dream box still hiding so many things the <dm 8000)
is out of our world.
soon in the market:D