Which satellite dish

swan100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
Hi,

I'm buying a Technomate 1500 ci+ receiver to receive Digialb and I was wonering what satellite dish I need.

Any help gratefully received.

thanks

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
go for a 90cm dish so you have a good chance of picking up the feeds on 16east aswell

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Depends where you are in the UK, but a 90cm is pretty much minimum requirement for even the best reception area.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
i thought 16east was quite strong in the uk so it was 80cm minmum i only went with 1metre to be sure

swan100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky
My Location
uk
I live in Nottingham, will the 90cm dish be okay ?

Cheers

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should be in Nottingham, you may even get away with an 80cm and a low noise LNB, but it seems that the DigitAlb channels are not quite as easy to pick up as some of the others on the satellite, so better to be safe than sorry.

I have found several occasions where an 80cm dish and budget LNB have struggled with the paid channels, experiencing frequent dropouts.

Rob T

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Similar query as well. I am getting together a new Motorised setup. The Installer who has done a site check for me said my old inherited ' 80cm Lenson Heath Alu Dish ' would be fine. I mentioned a new transparent dish, but he said they had a low gain and he had to replace a few as they wern't all that !

My question is would it be worth getting a new larger dish, say 90cm or should I use my existing old one.

The other equipment i'm getting is a MTI quad 0.3 LNB, Relook 400 receiver and stab 100 Motor.

Regards.

Rob

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
It all depends on where you are, and what you are aiming to recieve with your new setup.

L.:)

Rob T

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Sorry forgot to mention I live in South London near the Surrey Border.

I suppose I want to pick up as many channels/satellites as I can and get the strongest signal possible using a dish with a Diseqc motor ( was recommended by the installer a Stab HH100 ) without causing any damage or strain on the motor. So I guess a dish between 80cm and 1 metre ?

If the amount of Satellites/channels you can pick up where I am located with a slightly larger dish ie 90cm as opposed to an 80cm dish is not that great and the signal gain is minimal might it be worth just reusing my existing dish ? On the other hand if I am spending money on new equipment and installation might it be worth spending the extra on a new slightly bigger dish ? Decisions, decisions !

Your thoughts anyone ?

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
I have a 1.1 triax with moteck 2100 on to a patio pole does most things. Mid Wales. As I now know a big dish, ie 1.1, above the roof line would be a problem with the wind and it would wreck a motor. My setup is sheltered ish. If you do a patio pole job run your cable in a blue water pipe obtainable from builders/plumbers merchants under the slabs. Keeps it tidy and free from knocks.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Is 16 east really so low powered here in the UK? I'm in the south and I was thinking of having 16e added to my existing outdoor dish when I get Hotbird added to it. The dish is IIRC 70cm (don't know the make) and is currently pointed at 19e and has an LNB for 28e.

BTW I know 3 degree spacings are a problem (to put it mildy) but I was thinking I could use Alps bullet LNBs for 19e/16e/13e. I guess that still might not work and if there's no chance of getting 16e then please let me know! ;)

wallwok

AMCRAZEEEABOUTHOTBIRDS
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 1000D patched
Motor Dish 80cm
xp athlon
My Location
Scottish Borders
I live in the Scottish Borders I have a 80cm dish on a comaq sl65 and I get from 30w to 53 east with no problems.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Skip Channel said:
Is 16 east really so low powered here in the UK? I'm in the south and I was thinking of having 16e added to my existing outdoor dish when I get Hotbird added to it. The dish is IIRC 70cm (don't know the make) and is currently pointed at 19e and has an LNB for 28e.

BTW I know 3 degree spacings are a problem (to put it mildy) but I was thinking I could use Alps bullet LNBs for 19e/16e/13e. I guess that still might not work and if there's no chance of getting 16e then please let me know! ;)

I would not go for DigitAlb with a 70cm, I can get it with my 80cm, but know people who struggle with an 80cm and a couple who struggle even with a 90cm in bad weather.