Which SKY+ in a fringe area?

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I was wondering which SKY+ I should go for in a fringe area?

Does the Pace SKY+ V2/V3 box have the same tuner as in the DN430?
I'm using the DN430 and the tuner is excellent...

Thanks

Leee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
by fringe you mean Bordeaux? ;)
I'd say any Pace and rate my V2 as superior to an old 2200 if that's a yardstick for you?

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
Tenerife South, Torviscas Alto
I have a pace V1 & a pace 160 (like V3) and a non sky plus pace 2600 here in tenerife

On my 3M prime focus with an ivacom 0.3 lnb I can't get any Astra D with the V1 box, I get BBC and ITV / C4 during the day on the 160 box, but it looses all signal strength during the evening, where as my (non plus) pace 2600 receiver keeps going strong 24/7.

The tuners in the plus boxes are no match for the 2600. However Tenerife is much further than France.

I used to use my 2600 and a phantom PVR, but now i have an Archos PVR hooked up to it. Plus box facilities which can be taken on the move!

Cupart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks for your input guys.
Guess I'll go for the Pace model then...

:)

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Cupart said:
I was wondering which SKY+ I should go for in a fringe area?

Have you checked out the "Best Digiboxes for Fringe reception" thread on top of the page?
Some time ago i made some reports on THOMSON SKY+ 160,which i have had excellent results here in Cyprus...

iceman

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
iceman said:
Have you checked out the "Best Digiboxes for Fringe reception" thread on top of the page?
Some time ago i made some reports on THOMSON SKY+ 160,which i have had excellent results here in Cyprus...

iceman

Have you tried the new 80gb pace sky+ box?

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
I did a test yesterday with a Pace DS430n and a Pace Sky+ V3 (both new)connected to the same LNB. I covered up one third of the feed horn to reduce the signal to the point of the picture breaking up on a BBC frequency from Astra 2D.
Guess what? There was absolutely NO difference between the two. They must have identical tuners.

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
I supply a feed from my 3 metre offset (Invacom Quad C120 0.3db lnb) to my neighbours DS430n. It gets far better results than my +V1 (Breaks up all the time) and my 160+ (breaks up during evening). I would disagree there is no difference between the DS430n and plus boxes here in Tenerife. My 2600 outperforms the DS430n (much to the annoyance of my neighbour). Masking off the feed horn will not give a "natural" test.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
makum101 said:
I would disagree there is no difference between the DS430n and plus boxes here in Tenerife. My 2600 outperforms the DS430n (much to the annoyance of my neighbour). Masking off the feed horn will not give a "natural" test.
A weak signal is just that, regardless of how it arises. You might just as well do it with a damp cloth than wait till it rains hard.
I'm writing about a new DS430n and new Pace Sky+ V3 box. Other makes and older boxes may be different.
My older 430n was worse than the new one I tested.
The 2600 is better than the 430n, without any doubt.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
zorba said:
Have you tried the new 80gb pace sky+ box?

No M8,i havent tried that one...have you?
How does it compare to Thomson?

makum101

Reaction score
My Location
snap said:
A weak signal is just that, regardless of how it arises. You might just as well do it with a damp cloth than wait till it rains hard.
I'm writing about a new DS430n and new Pace Sky+ V3 box. Other makes and older boxes may be different.
My older 430n was worse than the new one I tested.
The 2600 is better than the 430n, without any doubt.
The 430N is two months old. My 160+ box is nearly 1 year old. My 2600 box is 2 years old.

The plus boxes do not work here in Tenerife on Astra D / North beam. The 430 N (old and new ) does... Hence the tuners can not be the same!

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
iceman said:
No M8,i havent tried that one...have you?
How does it compare to Thomson?

Its hard to get hold of 3 different skypluses at the same time.All i have at home is a non registered pace 3100 and could only compare it with my pace 2600 and 430.the 2600 was better and also better than a normal thomson (non sky+)digibox, if that helps.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
makum101 said:
Hence the tuners can not be the same!
Well, the new versions of both Sky+ V3 (TDS470n) and DS430n are identical. We had a bout of poor reception last night and both boxes were clear on the same channels and slightly broken up on others. The pattern was absolutely the same, to the same degree.
Both boxes are connected to a Quad Invacom C120LNB with ChannelMaster feed and Prodelin 1.8m dish.

Labarum

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Box

65cm dish (not big enough)
My Location
Near Hanover
I though a Sky Plus box would not work outside the UK because it must be connected to a UK telephone line.

Please tell me more.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Labarum said:
I though a Sky Plus box would not work outside the UK because it must be connected to a UK telephone line.

Please tell me more.

Telephone line is required for interactive services and also for the first 12 months if the cost of the box is subsidised by SKY..
If you purchase the box at full value and you do not wish to use interactive services there is no need for a telephone line..

SKY HD boxes also need telephone line for initial activation..

Labarum

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Box

My Location
Near Hanover
Thanks, Iceman. If I buy a Skyplus box and stuff a FTV card in it, will that work - recording and viewing all FTA and FTV programmes?

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Labarum said:
Thanks, Iceman. If I buy a Skyplus box and stuff a FTV card in it, will that work - recording and viewing all FTA and FTV programmes?

there used to be a £30 minimum subscription requirement to activate recording on SKY+ boxes but i think £10 axtra does the job these days...Not sure if this applies to Freeview cards tho..

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
Things have changed, Iceman. If you have any subscription package, even the £15 two mix, Sky Plus is now free. The £10 only applies if you have no subscription at all (i.e. FTV).

Many of us are using Sky + outside of the UK. As Iceman says, there must be an initial callback before the card can be married and recording turned on. There are two ways of doing this. Either find somebody in your area with the necessary Digidialer, or else do the callback and marry the card in the UK and then send the box overseas. It doesn't matter which number the callback is made from.

Although it is a requirement for a Sky + box to be plugged into the phone line, even if you buy the box yourself, this isn't policed (except for multiroom). Therefore, once activated and working the Sky + box will continue to work wherever you are.

Exactly the same is true for the Sky HD box.

Labarum

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Amstrad Box

My Location
Near Hanover
I will return to the UK soon from Germany for just over a year before going to Cyprus. I have been looking at the Sky all-in package - TV/Phone/ADSL. It looks like a good deal. I could use that for a year then take the +box to Nicosia and get a 3m+ dish.

Down side? Sky boxes have no HDMI output, which is plain daft.

But if Ch4 and Ch5 go FTA I might just stick with generic boxes.

Can anyone offer me more advice? maybe the official Sky+ box has poor sensitivity, which brings this post back to the thread topic.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
Labarum said:
Down side? Sky boxes have no HDMI output, which is plain daft.

SKY HD box is a SKY+ box with HDMI output...;)