Which Sony widescreen tv?

digisatman

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking to buy a New Sony Widescreen televison 28/32 inch.

Can anyone advise the best one around £400 and where is the cheapest place to get them? :confused

Thanks

Digisatman

p.s. Happy new year dudez! :)

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
digisatman said:
Can anyone advise the best one around £400 and where is the cheapest place to get them? :confused )

Try..

Sony KD-28DL11 - £370 Intregrated digital Freeview TV
Includes Matching Cabinet
Auto labelling/auto sorting
7 day EPG
Smart/Zoom/4:3/Wide mode
Colour: Silver
Integrated Digital WEGA widescreen TV with anologue and digital tuner and NICAM stereo sound
Features Click on terms for explanation.
28 " Visible Screen Size
66 cm Visible Screen Size
Widescreen
Nicam

at

h**p://www.digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=3333

Or

h**p://www.pricerunner.co.uk/

stuntbelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm1500ci, dragon cam, art card 80cm duel lnd fixed dish hotbird and Astra. 28" w/s tv
My Location
Sunny West Kirby, Wirral
My girlfriend works for sony (ex pysignosis) and gets stuff at cost price so I'm sure we can come to a deal. nugde nudge wink wink

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The first thing I would say is - Why Sony? I've made the mistake over the years of thinking that they must be better than I remember but am always disappointed in some way. Sony has a certain of thinking about things and it's not always the way one might expect - but of course their's is the right way!

Case in point. My Sony VCR (SLV820). it's now 2 years old but it still annoys me nearly every time I use it. The remote control can be most kindly described as "sluggish" and I have great difficulty getting the FF and FR to stop in the right place. Please don't suggest using the index find as this is so slow as to be useless. I think it's a little joke that Sony are having at our expense.

Then there are the little quirks when switching the VCR on from standby. It always defaults to taking over the TV. Why can't it default to NOT taking over the TV - or at the very least to be in the same state as when the VCR was switched to standby? This, perhaps, wouldn't be so bad if the programme was on the last source set but whenever I have videoing from satellite through AU3, which I frequently do, it goes to programme 1. AAAAARGH!

And why does the RF modulator turn itself off if the TV/VCR button is pressed to release control of TV? On my previous VCR I used to watch the VCR output in the kitchen whilst something else was chosen in the living room for the TV. Fortunately my new(ish) TV can override the SCART control signal but not all TVs can. WHY?

Rant over. Perhaps we could do with a ranting section just for this sort of thing. Give it some thought Rolf.

Anyway, if you MUST have a Sony (or any TV in fact) I think that you're not budgeting enough. My experience is that when you get to 32", or even 28", widescreen is that you need to have some kind of video processing to help with the quality of the picture. At this size you notice quite strongly the flickering and can see the raster lines. So you need 100Hz scanning and pixel multiplication of some kind.

I hope that, if you have read this far, I have been of some help.

PaulR

digisatman

Reaction score
stuntbelly said:
My girlfriend works for sony (ex pysignosis) and gets stuff at cost price so I'm sure we can come to a deal. nugde nudge wink wink
how much could you get me : Sony KV32CS70 for?

Thanks

All the best

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
PaulR said:
The first thing I would say is - Why Sony?

I agree with everything you say - had a video from them that in long play displayed blue interference when recording. After being back twice for repair Sony told me it was within tolerance and not to record in long play!
Swapped it for a Panasonic and never looked back.

Had a Sony TV that took to changing to B&W, at random, it was over a year old, Sony couldn't find anything wrong as it was an intermittent fault.
A year later I was reading 'What TV & Video' and there was a follow up to a letter from last month with several readers complaining of the same fault on the same model Sony TV!

Sorry Sony you had your change it's Panasonic for me...

Sorry Digisatman

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The Wega standard was a drop too far for most here, and the integrated Digital terrestrial was the decisive chop

Indifferent quality control, tubes that would have convergence faults straight out of the factory , and a sub board assembly that could not be repaired

There are similar quality machines at 20% of the price, buy one get four free.

beatphreak

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7000s - Flubber
40gb Hard Drive
80cm Clear Dish + V-Box 2
Linksys Wireless Bridge
DCC on Laptop
My Location
Lancaster UK
Channel Hopper said:
The Wega standard was a drop too far for most here, and the integrated Digital terrestrial was the decisive chop

Indifferent quality control, tubes that would have convergence faults straight out of the factory , and a sub board assembly that could not be repaired

There are similar quality machines at 20% of the price, buy one get four free.
My KVfX28 arrived with convergence problems, They said it was the glue they used on the tube :- ...

And what about those two visible black wires that run through the screen? They told me that is because of the thickness of the glass..

but saying all that i don't know what would top a sony pound for pound.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
And what about those two visible black wires that run through the screen? They told me that is because of the thickness of the glass..
Bo**ocks.

The 2 visible wires appear on all Sony TVs and have done for about 30 years.

When Sony first introduced the Trinitron tube it used vertical wires to separate the different colour phosphors which were also deposited in vertical bands. The advantage of this system over the shadow mask tube were that the colours were brighter, the blacks blacker and the screen was flat in the vertical plane.

The disadvantage was that when the tube got hot the wires distorted and the horizontal wires are there to control this.

Other manufacturers now manage to produce flat screens without these wires. I wonder why Sony can't?

PaulR