Which Streaming Service do you prefer?

A

Archive7

Which Streaming Service do you prefer?
If you have tried both Netflix and Amazon Prime, which service do you enjoy more?
After a long wait, we finally got Netflix in Israel about a year ago.
The immediate feedback was a great disappointment because of the lack of subtitles in Hebrew (which I don't really need) and the fact that movies and TV series are quite old, something like nearly ten years old, and paying the same as the subscribers in the USA about $9.
I know that even UK subscribers don't have the possibility of watching the latest movies from the US, but at least they can get more recent production.
Anyway, Amazon Prime has been expanding slowly in several countries in Europe, but I don't see them offering the services in Israel any time soon.
I would like to know which service is better for you and why.

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I don't like streaming services. There's something inherently wrong about it in my mind. Any kind of IPTV...

I prefer to download what I want using SickBeard and watch it without any buffering malarkley or stuttering.

A

Archive7

I don't like streaming services. There's something inherently wrong about it in my mind. Any kind of IPTV...

I prefer to download what I want using SickBeard and watch it without any buffering malarkley or stuttering.
Thanks. One drawback as far as I know is that you can't download any content from either service.
As the saying goes, beggars can't be choosy.
Apart from the crippled Netflix here at $9/m, everything else that can be classified as entertainment is quite expensive.
The government enjoys getting 18% VAT on local services and therefore they don't want to make any waves in giving customers better prices.
Never heard of SickBeard before. Is it a streaming service with payment?

4wd

Getting the picture
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
5 W, 9-13-19-28 E
My Location
Bergen, Norway \ Alpes Maritimes, France
Napflix | Siesta Video Platform. :O)
Some great titles:

-Spend a day in the life of an extended family of koalas as they sleep
-Vienna Philharmonic - Golden Hall New Year Concert 2014
-Details activities inside the Tupperware factory - engineering, drawings and plans.
-Partenkirchen 2014 Ski Jumping Tournament
-Professor of Physics & Applied Physics, gives an introduction to Einstein's Theory for a lay audience.
-World Dog Show 2014 Helsinki

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No streaming services here - you dont bother with them on a 2.5 meg connection :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
No streaming services here - you dont bother with them on a 2.5 meg connection :D
2.5 meg ? Favouritism, sheer favouritism!

You could also get a streaming service at that speed, not full HD of course, and only if you turn off the iPad, disconnect the ip cameras and clean the Ethernet cable connectors by a bit of vigorous tugging at each end (ooooer !).

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland

I feel the same way, which I suppose is natural to us satellite folk. I even have difficulty justifying streaming radio on my unlimited internet connections. ;) Apart from the buffering worries, it just seems so resource hungry and wasteful compared to plucking waves out of the air with an aerial.

I do have to use the Slingbox at times when I'm in Finland but you can imagine my horror of having to use my upload bandwidth in the UK and then my download bandwidth in Finland, a double whammy!!

Probably the scariest thing I could do this Halloween is forget the Slingbox on all night. Aargh!!