Which way is South

johnny_d_

Reaction score
Hi need some help, i just bought a force reciever, 80cm dish and stuff to go with it, it has embedded conex and viaccess,

what i need to know is if i get a compass and find south if i point my dish in that direction will i pick up the sats and chans atomatically, as in will i see a picture on my reciever if i have the chan onyx on hotbird on?

sorry for being so lame i am new to this

thanks

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Well the sun rise's in the East and set's in the West!..........if you make a note at miday on the suns position...thats your south, at this time of year it is quite easy as the sun lies lower in the sky so you won't be able to get the North position crossed with South!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
johnny_d_ said:
if i point my dish in that direction will i pick up the sats and chans atomatically, as in will i see a picture on my reciever if i have the chan onyx on hotbird on?

Hotbird is 13deg East you will have to point the dish in that direction and the correct angle to get Hotbird. South is general direction of the Clark belt where the satellite are positioned.

Instructions on how to do this are here on this site, do a search.

johnny_d_

Reaction score
what is the calculation to find due south not magnetic south please can some one help me out here,

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
h**p://www.satsig.net/ssazelm.htm is one of the many tools out there to help you. Once you get to within a few degrees, your meter will do the rest... ;)

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
I drive a Force with EMB Conax and Via, once up and running they are as good as any box out there. And with working TMB files can open all.