Which way to go?

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I am on the verge of buying a motorized system and I have decided to go for A 1.2m (Channel Master) dish. I will also get a patched Humax 5400z, my problem is what type of motor do I get??? Do I go for a polar mount (proper) motor or a Jeager H to H mount?? I have spent a lot of time trying to decide and would like another opinion. I do realise that with a polor mount I will need a v-box or similar to power the dish but is the extra money well spent??
Thanks in advance.

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Depends what you want to receive

Polar mount - This will almost certainly last longer than the H to H, you will however need to get an 18" actuator to track as far East and West (using the furthest hole on the bar). Channel Master polarmonts have a tendency to have bearings that wear out in high wind locations.

H to H - will give you further coverage if your location allows it. Sealed for life so no maintenance however the longevity is questionable

V- Box - lovely piece of kit

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Is an excellent point that you make on the H-H mount, I would reccomend for any one with the channel master 1.2mtr dish that you chose the Jageur 1224 mount if you want a solid H to H mount that is designed for up to a 2.4 mtr dishs and can be fitted for inclined orbit tracking as well. its more expensive but it lasts, mine is well more that four years fitted on a 1.8 mtr and 2.0 mtr no problems

The smaller mounts are normally a pain after a while

Old Satellite

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
Thanks lads, it's Premiership football that I am mainly after, so the Jeager H to H mount should be ok, if I get the 1224?

Pixey

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I have just realised that the Jageur 1224 is not a diseq motor. That really is my problem - do I get a diseq h-h motor or a 36v setup and a v-box for a 1.2m dish???

Pixey

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Both motor systems would require the V box, but as Old Satellite has sung the praises (the Inclined bit is good to know), go for that one

If its built for larger dishes in the first place, then there will not be much that will have to be replaced if you find the neighbours dont care what you have blocking out their sunlight

I did not know Jaeger made one for an offset dish, Ive used one before on an Irte 1.5 prime and yes its lasted two years without trouble (and its nice and quiet)

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Jun-02 AT 08:54 AM (GMT)]Yes i can confirm that there is a specific version for offset dishes as detailed below

SuperMount SMR-1224(EL) H-H mount

SuperMount SMR-1224(EL) is an universal dual axis horizon to horizon mount for 1.2M to 2.4M diameter satellite dishes. It compatible with various dish bracket such as Kathrein, IRTE, Channel Master, KTI, Paraclipse, Perfect 10, Unimesh, etc. It fits prime focus dish(standard), offset dish (optional). It features with the patented "Backlash Self-adjusting" design to prolong the lifetime without backlash

As I said I have at my UK home a 1224 fitted to a 2.0mtr(prime focus)with the inclined orbit option.

Additionally at my home in Belgium I have the unit on a 1.8 mtr with the inclined orbit option. if you go to the Jaguer web site you will see the differnace in construction immediately.
Both have been fault free for a number of years.

I have installed for a friend several years ago the mount with a 1.8 mtr Channel Master and as far as I know its still fine.

Its a lot more expensive but will last for years something that can not be said for the smaller H-H mounts - including the smaller Jaguer mounts.

Old Satellite