Who Is The New Doctor?

N

net1

Former Doctor Who actor Tom Baker today named comic Eddie Izzard as the star of the new BBC series set to reach the screens in 2005.

A BBC spokesman said the role is still to be cast, but in an interview with BBC Radio Five Live this morning, Baker claimed Izzard had landed the part.

Asked what the cross-dressing comic would bring to the role, he told presenter Julian Worricker: "He has an alien quality.

"Eddie Izzard is so mysterious and strange. He seems like he has lots of secrets. You always feel Eddie Izzard knows something you don't, or has been somewhere you haven't been."

"I like the way he dresses. He could probably do his own wardrobe," said Baker, who played the role between 1974 and 1981.

The much-loved sci-fi series is coming back for a new series with a script by Queer As Folk creator Russell T Davies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should be an interesting portrayal, certainly better than the film portrayal, the role requires a slightly offbeat character. :)

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I just hope the Tardis does not have a directional malfunction,spin round in ever decreasing circles and finally disappear up izzards ****, but he would enjoy that,wouldn"t he?..........................

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
certainly better than the film portrayal

Peter Cushing was rather good as the Doctor, a pity everyone dismisses the two films he starred in

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I thought that he played it a bit too dithering, they weren't great though even if Cushing had payed it better. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The films were really for the childrens enjoyment (no adult would have gone to the flicks to see the two Cushing offerings without kids in tow)
The dithering, the grandaughter, Roy Castle (and Bernard Cribbins) in daft mode, and the daleks up to their usual tricks

If the films did not portray the Doctor in the same way as the TV series, then it was simply to prevent children from being put off Doctor Who for life, besides there are no settees to hide behind in the Odeon/Regal/ABC.