Who's taken a plunge into the Vista ?

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I know its a tad cold this time of year, but, who's taken a plunge into the Vista (ravine)??

Anyone? LOL. Please all say no.;)

I mean of course Windows Vista (RTM build 6000 something).

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
No. I'm sure my PC isn't up to it and if it isn't available "free" there's no incentive to even try.

Vista's legal fine print includes extensive provisions granting Microsoft the right to regularly check the legitimacy of the software and holds the prospect of deleting certain programs without the user's knowledge.

In addition, it sets significant limits on the ability to copy or transfer the software, prohibiting anything more than a single backup copy and setting strict limits on transferring the software to different devices or users.

The paper pieced together the technical fine print behind Vista, unraveling numerous limitations in the new software seemingly installed at the direct request of Hollywood.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6319845.stm

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Nope and I wont go anywhere near it until my next computer purchase 4 or 5 years hence. They should have ironed the main bugs out of it by then ;)

Terrydlm

Learning Fast !
Reaction score
Website
www.delamare.gg
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-1500CI+ and
Technisat SkyStar 2 USB HD and
Humax Foxsat-HD and
Humax Foxsat-HDR
TriAx 80cm Dish driven by a Darksat Motor.
Inverto 0.2db Silver Tech lnb.
My Location
Guernsey
IMHO BEFORE you buy Vista ask yourself why do you want/need it?

If your buying a new PC and it is on it then fine but why upgarde (used loosely) from XP to Vista?

Its far too early to move to Vista. Once Service Pack 1 has been released in a few months time then it would be time to consider it, in the mean time let everyone else who can't wait (for whatever reason) find all the bugs & security risks etc. for you!

I read yesterday that someone has found the first bug in Vista 2 days after it was released! It is not a bug as such but a "feature". The feature is as follows, If your using Vista with its new voice recognition/commands and you watch a video from i.e. the internet, If the video your watching happens to say a system command then what will happen? i.e. the video says the word shutdown and your computer says the word shutdown will it assume that is a voice command and shutdown the pc?

I don't have Vista and i will not be getting it any time soon so i cant confirm that the feature is true/real. Maybe if someone does have Vista out there they can let us all know?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If anyne can dnate a sum of £499 fr a term of nt less than 100 years, then 'll gladly by a new laptp with Vista installed and gwrite a full reprt fr the frum.

therwise 'll stick with the existing PC with beer / cffee/ dubius stains, and a keybard with fewer than nrmal functins.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Not a chance until there is some benefit from doing it, having used candidate release for a while on my old pc I do not think there are enough benefits for me to switch let along fork out dosh for it.:eek:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
When I get a computer with Vista on it the first thin I'll do is turn off all the memory hungry whistles and bells and make it look like win 98 - like my xp computers do :D

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Analogue: sounds like you should roll back to Windows 2000 ;-))

Topper: Totally agree. In a quick whizz on wiki I saw a price of GBP 380.00 for Windows Vista Ultimate ;-) or should that be ,-((

I'll be happy with XP SP3 for a long time - before I cross that bridge to LINUX, hehe.

LOL

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hmm, going Linux, is this the reason for the plain text smileys Mark? ;)

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Hmm, going Linux, is this the reason for the plain text smileys Mark? ;)
Must be a bandwidth economy drive to speed things up:-flash :-righton ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
BarMoo said:
Analogue: sounds like you should roll back to Windows 2000 ;-))

Strangely enough Ive been playing with a broken laptop with win 2000 on it this afternoon (op sys trashed beyond the user being able to do anything with it - I got it running again :D)

What a pile of poop not impressed at all. Give me xp any day.

the_happy_traveller

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
freesat HD (time to join 21st century)
comag sl65
comag porty II (camping)
Pace Prima (analogue)
Assortment of dishes.
computer:
Shiney new Acer
My Location
Derbyshire, England
I'm with AS on this one.
My beloved lappy (my only computer) runs XP with SP2 but loks like a win98 machine and has done for 3 years. I never could get on with the xp desktop, start menu, etc.
The only way I'll be getting vista is when I replace the computer and that won't be until the price of the Samsung Q40 comes down to an affordable price.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I agree, menu wise I have always used the classic style, I've used XP since it was released and it had definite inprovements over 98se, didn't take the intermnediate step to ME, as it just looked like a tarted up version of 98se.

Not sure if I'll play with Vista yet, I may put it on my Email machine when I rebuild it (it is a PIII at the moment), but my main unit is going to stick with XP, I have it running just how I want it. :)

The other factor putting me off Vista, is that I'm sure it is simply a platform for Microsoft's DRM (Digital Rights Management) control, a wolf dressed in sheep's clothing.

yuriythebest

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pentium 4 3.06ghz with ht, 1 gb ram, ss2, 1.15m motor dish, strong srtv50
My Location
Europe, Ukraine
I will probably use vista when, in a year or so, I'l hopefully have a dual core pc. However not until someone castrates vista and removes the microsoft trojan and any other inconveniences.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
With all the software restrictions built into Vista, I'm not going anywhere near it. I want to use MY computers they way I want to, NOT what some geek tells me to... 'O'-red

And if any of those "security" features end up in XP, I'll just go back to Win98SE (I never did like 2000) or move over to the Linux side...

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Surely, if they can
word.png
Blueray and HDDVD - Vista's DRM nastiness should be a doddle ;-)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I think in high resolutions the XP themes look better than classic, I use 1600x1200 and the XP Silver theme, I don't like the look of the classic skin at this resolution.

Anyway...Vista. If I had the hardware to run it properly I'd probably already be running it. I've tried the betas and really want to see what the released one it like. But I'll need to upgrade my computer first so it won't be happening for a while. I could get a licensed upgrade for £50, depending what version it is that could also be tempting.

It's not security or bugs that put me off, but like others have commented, I've also got my XP setup just the way I want it, so I'd be dual booting (or separate machine) until I was very familiar with Vista.

Even if I don't end up using it for my main system for a while I definitely want to try it as soon as I get the opportunity. It's big (impact wise, not GB wise - but it probably is big there too) and even if it is a disaster (which I doubt) I still want to see what all the fuss is about.