Why am I not so elevated?

glenariff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 1 - hotbird system with 80 cm dish and monobloc
My Location
County Down
I'm in County Down, N. Ireland and the angle of elevation to hotbird or astra 1 should be around 20 degrees but I seem to only get a strong signal with an angle of a few degrees. Is my monobloc LNB causing the difference?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Why do you say that, are you basing it on the way your dish face is elevated?

An offset dish always appears to be looking lower than it actually is, the signal is reflected from the dish to the LNB which is not in the prime focus position, but lower down.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
You should really make a FAQ for newbies on this site with all these questions.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, been thinking of that for a while, but like all of these things it is a get around to. :)

glenariff

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Astra 1 - hotbird system with 80 cm dish and monobloc
My Location
County Down
rolfw said:
Why do you say that, are you basing it on the way your dish face is elevated?

An offset dish always appears to be looking lower than it actually is, the signal is reflected from the dish to the LNB which is not in the prime focus position, but lower down.
I was basing it on the angle of the back plate to the vertical.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well all I can say is that if you are receiving the satellite, then the dish must be correctly orientated, some brackets can be fitted the wrong way up, or have scales on both sides, from much of Ireland, 19E would be in the mid 20s.