Why can't I find anything but 28.2E?

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Last week when the weather was a bit better (so I could have the patio door open!) and I had day off work to do something else, I tried to play with my dish & receiver again as I want to know roughly the arc the dish will have if/when I motorise it before I mount it on the wall of the house.

Anyway, With the dish on it's supplied floor stand I can get 28.2E virtually without trying!

But if I try to find anything else I just can't!

I made up a cardboard protractor as a guide but can I find 13E or anything else? Can I heck :mad:

I just want to know I'm not doing anything really stupid - I've got print outs for the various sats of the elevations for my location and it's spot on for 28E.

Can anyone give me any pointers, e.g. how far would you expect my LNB arm to move (90cm dish) to go from 28.2E to 13E as an example?

I'm sure once I get the general idea I'll find the rest, but it's driving me nuts at the moment!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Try finding one satellite at a time

23E Astra 1D
19E Astra 1
16E Eutel W2
13E Hotbird etc.

Much easier than trying to hop straight from one to another.

If you want to try direct from 28-13E - probably about 3" Make sure youre looking for one of the HB6 tp's - they are the strongest

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
28.2e to 13 is 15.2 degrees :D

in real terms its not that far, a few inches maybe

i think patience is the key here, even profesional installers can take there time.

you will have obviously read up on the prority of the mounting.. ie making sure its plum and.. very sturdy!!! fail on either of these and expect alot of problems later on.

if you can afford it, or cant be bothered with the hastle :) pay some other bugger to do it lol

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
just checking, (in case)
you are tilting the dish further back as you edge towards south arn't you, and if you can get 13e leave at same angle and try to find 12.5 w

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
Minty,

I had the same problems at first.

Make life easier for yourself: Go to ebay and pick up a satellite finder for less than 10 quid.

You turn the sensitivity up and it squeals when the dish is near to a sat. Then you turn the sensitivity down a bit and fine tune the alignment a couple of millimetres. Keep doing that until you get a picture.

Simba.

edd173

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fixed dish on 19.2e for free to air only.
My Location
Up a ladder
Simba27 said:
Minty,

I had the same problems at first.

Make life easier for yourself: Go to ebay and pick up a satellite finder for less than 10 quid.

You turn the sensitivity up and it squeals when the dish is near to a sat. Then you turn the sensitivity down a bit and fine tune the alignment a couple of millimetres. Keep doing that until you get a picture.

Simba.

Wise words

With an analogue reciever, if you can get a small tv near the dish and wire everything up with a frequencvy tuned, you can use it as a meter, as soon as you begin to hit signal you will get a picture of some level of quality, but digital recievers take a few seconds to process and display a signal, so this method just isnt feasible. Having said that i have done 1 or 2 installs using the sky EPG based signal stregnth meter when my meter died on me!!O-no

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
why not go the whole hog and climb on the roof with satellite receiver and full 5.1 speaker setup and then go back get a chair, watch the whole thing from on the roof lol

errr Just kidding :D

frund

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
triax 1.1 tm 1500ci+ dm patch. Moteck 2100. Intel 4300 based pc . LG7500. 32" lcd
My Location
Wales. UK.
I must say it is not easy the first time especially if you have to keep climbing a ladder. I have a pole mounted dish and I made a a few mistakes. The best bit of advice for me was "look for 1deg w" and now after a final bit of tweaking all is excellent. So it is possible and next time you do it, easypeasy. RedDevil's idea would fail cos how would you get a fridge up there.

Lord Minty

DIY motorised
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.3dB Fortec Star lnb, 90cm Fortec Star dish, Silver Crest SL65 receiver, Stab HH90 motor...
My Location
Bedford
Thanks all for the replies. :) I've not had chance to play with it again yet, but I've decided to get a meter, especially as the next big purchase will be a motor.

Once I know the arc the dish needs I can decide where to put it on the wall.