Why is it hard to remove the accent

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
There was a guy on TV could speak 8 languages, yet still had a Romanian accent while speaking English. I wonder why accents are so difficult to remove...

You'd think if you had the intelligence to sponge up 7 other languages as well as your own, you'd be able to speak in a standard tone. :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Try and learn a foreign language after you are 20 and no matter how much work you put in, you will probably always have a slight (or not so slight) accent.
However learn a foreign language when you are 1-10 years old (grow up in a household with two languages being spoken) and with little effort you will pick them both up fluently and with a natural accent in both.

There are some things you just can't do as well as when you were a kid. One of the 'features' of being human.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Why have I still got a thick Brummie accent even though its 20 years since Ive lived down there??

(The locals round here still get upset when I tell them "everyone speaks funny round ere" ) :-rofl2

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I bet that bloke speaks all those languages with accents, not just the English,except Romanian of course.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I couldn't comment on his other languages, but he definitely had a Dracula voice in English. :D

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
Saturlight said:
he definitely had a Dracula voice in English. :D

LOL Classic :)

personally i love local accents.

i would really love to speak another language, its something i always want to do but never get round too.

bit like upgrading my computer LOL

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
You be surprised how sneaky accents are. After not talking a lot in my mother language for 15 years my mates take the piss when I talk to them on the phone...

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
I know,You even type in an accent.:confused

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
zorba said:
I know,You even type in an accent.:confused
Yeah you can type with an accent.

"Pleased I am, meet with you. Kind sir." Oops, hope that doesn't sound rude. If so I apologize. :D

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Heh...americans sounds stupid when they talk Swedish.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Likvid said:
Heh...americans sounds stupid when they talk Swedish.

Well, ever since the Muppet show I think Swedish sounds funny :-rofl2

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
T_G said:
Well, ever since the Muppet show I think Swedish sounds funny :-rofl2

And are there any Swedes in the Muppet show? :-doh2

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Likvid said:
And are there any Swedes in the Muppet show? :-doh2

Are you serious?? One of the best known characters is Swedish. He might not be as famous as Kermit, but surely he has his own cooking program on Swedish TV? :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, certainly is and one of my favourite characters. :)

[tube]sY_Yf4zz-yo[/tube]

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
rolfw said:
Yep, certainly is and one of my favourite characters. :)

[tube]sY_Yf4zz-yo[/tube]

That's him! Nice one. I bet he is preparing Surströmming :eek:

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Sorry I've come in a bit late, but since I am the English language graduate on the forum :D I should provide an answer!

Well, unfortunately this question is a major source of debate within linguistics, and more specifically phonetics (the production of sounds in language).

It is a question of how language is stored - In templates? Is there a premitted range of sounds? Are sounds stored seperately from each other or in a complicated matrix? And are different accents/language stored as seperate entities or in some sort of intersected matrix?

If you're really curious, this will bring you a long way - http://www.morton-tatham.co.uk/publications/books/palgrave/palgrave_synopsis.html. I'm selling mine if you're really keen :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Far too much information for me Salty, I think I'll just be content with the knowledge that some people can learn a language and speak it with very little accent, whilst others maintain their original accent.

My brother in law speaks fluent French with a broad Scottish accent and he's been there for 20 years. :)

PS. England Language graduade Salty?:eek: :-lmao

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:

That must mean your up for a 1:1 then :)

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
rolfw said:

:-doh! I must have said it so many times - I'm the worst example of an English degree student ever, I'm a terrible typist and have the most terrible mix of an Essex and Suffolk accent ever! In my defence though, I am slightly dyslexic, I'm pretty sure of it!

I do agree about the detail, try it on a Monday morning, or in fact ANY morning for that matter!

Thank for the endorsement Topper :D Well, I got a 2.1/upper second class degree, so something must be working between the ears!