Why Sky Boxes lose "other channels".. My theory

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
High Wycombe, Nr London, UK
Hi guys,

I'm sure you are all aware of the problem that plagues Sky Digibox users on 19e/13e etc: the box sometimes loses channels stored in the "Other channels" section.

After much testing (I have too much free time :D) I have discovered it may relate to the signal strength/quality.

Basically in several tests, the box is a lot more likely to lose the other channels if:

a) the signal quality/strength is low
:cool: If you add more than 30 channels (I would say 30 is the safe limit)

Try it for yourselves, my digibox actually refused to lose the channels when I had about 90% signal quality- no matter how hard I tried :D, but was more than willing to lose channels nearly every time it went into standby with only about 30% quality.

For this test I used a variety of channels on 19e. :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Id say it was more liely to be a bug in the memory handling in the box

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m Orbital Motorised Dish, Fixed 65cm Fortec Dish on Astra 1, Fixed 45cm Minidish on Hotbird, Pace MSS500, TM-5600D CI USB Super, Nokia 9800s, Skystar USB 2, Grundig Sky Digibox, Manhattan Plaza XT-M
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Id say it was more liely to be a bug in the memory handling in the box

Probably the case, but for some reason, a stronger signal/quality would appear to help the box retain channels..

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
is there any simple way to hack a sky box to make it more of an FTA receiver?

-cts

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
closetosoton said:
is there any simple way to hack a sky box to make it more of an FTA receiver?

-cts

Not that anyone knows of...

Although if anyone else knows different, feel free to correct me :D

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dvmedia said:
Probably the case, but for some reason, a stronger signal/quality would appear to help the box retain channels..

Ive got a rock solid signal off an old 60cm round dish, and my box still wipes the other channels if too many are stored. 30's about as far as you can go safely. I wonder if the number of other channels available to safely store has gone down as more and more channnels have joined the epg?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dvmedia said:
Not that anyone knows of...

Although if anyone else knows different, feel free to correct me :D

Thats correct. You cant play around with Sky boxes as the rs ports on the back are reckoned to be s/w disabled. Ive never heard of anyone getting anything worthwhile out of the port

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
Thats correct. You cant play around with Sky boxes as the rs ports on the back are reckoned to be s/w disabled. Ive never heard of anyone getting anything worthwhile out of the port

Shame really...it would be a cool project if someone did have the skills to reverse engineer the boxes.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
There has to be some functionality in the rs 232's as isnt that where the gamepads clip into?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Isn't it a complete waste of energy though, aren't they pretty useless as a receiver anyway?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not for 28.2East. ;)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
They do what they were designed to do brilliantly. Which is

1) giving multiple channels to Joe Public at minimal hassle,
2) extracting maximum cash from his wallet at the same time
3) making Joe forget about the endless possibilities we know and love elsewhere in the heavens, as the bloody things are so crippled as to be effectively useless on anything apart from 28E

dvmedia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Analoguesat said:
They do what they were designed to do brilliantly. Which is

1) giving multiple channels to Joe Public at minimal hassle,
2) extracting maximum cash from his wallet at the same time
3) making Joe forget about the endless possibilities we know and love elsewhere in the heavens, as the bloody things are so crippled as to be effectively useless on anything apart from 28E

I would hardly say they are TOTALLY useless, I have 30 of the best 19e channels programed into the "other channels" section, and they never disappear unless the mains power is pulled...

I still want a new FTA box soon though :D

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
if i could find the source code etc for a given box, it would be an easy fix, (probably!) re-organsing the channel storage capabilities, turning it into an FTA receiver: going no where near the decryption stuff. however i guess this kind of code is well guarded because of its proximity to videoguard/NDS. the reason i think it could be a good little project is that i note the odd digibox goes for as little as £20 on eBay, it would bring the cost of FTA DVB receivers down. mmmm...

-cts