why,the london underground and bus system is so expensice?

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
a friend just came back,from a one week trip from london
weater was very bad,he told,here was unshine with 27-32 degrees,now also raining coming and summer is over..!
,and told me that only a half our drive with,the underground train,to a place,outside london,would coasts around 25€ or a daily ticket,for the complete network,another friend told me coasts 70€ a day,is this true?
here,i can buy for around 550€ a complete card that is valid for all the trains and buses for one year,or a daily ticket for under 10€ ,not dipents on the distance!
are the taxis cheaper in london,then the train?

how much a yearly underground ticket for the workers would coasts?
i see many reports in discovery channel,that londons taxi drivers nearly know every place,from there mind,without locking to the citymap,not many people can do this,in this kind of large area,the told in the report!

i was never in london,but maybe i will go there to make a trip within the next 2 years!
flights here are very cheap for only 50€one way,when i fly back,strangly i pay the double price ,for the same flight!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
_http://www.londontoolkit.com/briefing/travelcard.htm for daily travel

Google for London Taxi the knowledge _http://www.tfl.gov.uk/businessandpartners/taxisandprivatehire/1412.aspx

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I don't remember it being that expensive, though I haven't been up town for a few years. I'm about 40 mins by train to London and the cost is approx £22 for a Travelcard for the day. If commuting for work, you'd buy a season ticket, it works out cheaper.

Pretty sure taxis would be far more expensive than that.

The London black cabbies have to do the 'Knowlegde' , this means learning their way around London without a map, they are tested on their knowlegde before they get their licence, takes 2 to 4 years apparently.

Innteresting, there was a Black cab driver about 30 years ago, who appeared on the TV quiz 'Mastermind' and won it. (Fred Housego). I remember watching it.:eek:

Telia

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
Channel Master 1.2m with Jaeger SMR1224.
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I thought the cost was reasonable, i took a coach from Victoria stn to Brighton, costed me £9 one way.

The tube from Heathrow to central London costed about £10

However the taxis are expensive, i must say that London got the best transporation system in the world, you have so many different kind of transportations to choose from.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Telia said:
........... i must say that London got the best transporation system in the world, you have so many different kind of transportations to choose from.

Shame about most of the rest of the UK!

Here: No Bus (Nearest 8 miles); No Train (Nearest 10 miles); Many Sheep.

BombedOne

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Covering 30W-105.5E range, two motors, C and Ku band. Various receivers/cards/cams/etc.
My Location
Republic of Georgia
I used to ride sheep when I was young...

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Hello!
good evening!
on the londontoolkitsite that rolf posted,i got a file not found error!
my coleague,told me today,about the reason why it so much more expensice,then in othercountrys,the reply him,because in uk it is a private company,for the complete system,in other countrys,also here,is own by the goverment,and the state itself!
prices also rising up here,more then the double then 10 year ago!

is london also not good for biking?
are no biking ways,and very dangerous,in the traffic?
i only know the tower bridge ,and the red buses from the bbc,thats all,my friend told food also completly diffrent from here!

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
I went to London on Wednesday (went to see the England-Croatia game!!!), and I got an Off-Peak Tube Travelcard for zones 1-4 for £6.40, which I thought was pretty good. If you use an Oyster card, tube travel is pretty reasonable, but as far as I'm aware most Londoners use the buses with Oysters. Taxis are expensive, no doubt about it.

Also, I went on the 'Tate to Tate' clipper boat service, and because I already had a travelcard, the charge was reduced to £3.40.

EDIT - This is the guide to ticket options and prices: _http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/fares-and-tickets-zones1-6.pdf

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
how much you pay fine,in london,when a person dont have a ticket?
here is it 70€+the ticket price,and in germany since one month,you get a complaint!

riding with hourses,like in the old days,would be the best,was long time ago in st.christobal in mexico traveling a while,and here not so much cars!,and more animals)
today the hourses has not much thing to do.-.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Turok said:
how much you pay fine,in london,when a person dont have a ticket?
here is it 70€+the ticket price,and in germany since one month,you get a complaint!

riding with hourses,like in the old days,would be the best,was long time ago in st.christobal in mexico traveling a while,and here not so much cars!,and more animals)
today the hourses has not much thing to do.-.

I think it's £50 but £25 if you pay up quickly, not that you can go very far without a valid ticket - all the exits have ticket terminals and they're all guarded. Oh, and there's CCTV everywhere. Jumping the gates just isn't possible.

Telia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't think it's even possible to get on the underground in London without a valid ticket as you need to pass thru the machines where you put your ticket in and they are guarded.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I think that there are some entry points where it is possible, as there are still fare evaders, but generally it is probably quite difficult.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
okay,thanks for explaining,then is it the same in bangkok,there are also everywhere ticket terminals,and guard,that controll every ones ticket:)
price was real cheap 1€ or 1,50€:)
the bigest problem,here that mostly older people,are unable,to use the ticket mashines ,because the dont know,how to controll a touch screen,then the time is not enough,to reach the next train,with a valid ticket,and then when the controll man coming,the old people has to pay fine,thats is not okay..!
in munich for example you have to print out a ticket number,waiting infront of a big screen,and then when the show your ticket lighted yellow you can go to the counter not before,traveling in europe is very difficult,i dont like it here,in thailand ,alot easier,every where,travel agencys,you came out of th bus,and people ask you everywhere,where you want to go,how can i help you ,boock you hotel everything,here in europe,is so much diffrence in this that you feel like lost in space!

benny46

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DB500, DB7000, DB800.
My Location
Manchester
Hello Turok, in order for our MP's to fund their ludicrous expenses claims like having their "moats cleaned" or £3000 for gardening or their monthly £200 food bill or their second home expenses they have to find the money from somewhere.

As the British public already have 51% of their weekly wage taken off them before they even see it by our wonderful MP's, 40% in direct tax and 11% in national insurance they have to find other ways of stealing our money.

So the way they do this is to screw the travelling public, whether you are a motorist, get a bus or catch a train they will screw you for even more of your money, if you need to get a train from Manchester to London return and can't book months in advance get your cheque book out because it will cost you about £150.

Thats why it costs you a fortune to travel in England in the rain HumpingHumpingHumpingHumping

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
BombedOne said:
I used to ride sheep when I was young...

Worthy of another (adult) thread, but back to the subject at hand...

Telia

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Duo PVR 1GB HDD
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Turok said:
is london also not good for biking?
are no biking ways,and very dangerous,in the traffic?
i only know the tower bridge ,and the red buses from the bbc,thats all,my friend told food also completly diffrent from here!

I hate bikers, in stockholm we have bikers everywhere and i really hate them.

When i was in London i was glad not seeing many bikers, the traffic is more aggressive in London so any biker would certainly be killed after a while.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
My Location
Austria
Hello!
here are a lot of bikers and biking ways,also on the street groups with 40-50 person,and nothing happens,the goverment here invest millions of euro 15 years ago,to make here bikers ways where only bikers are allowed to drive,and no cars,thats very good!
you can bike 50 km and more without a car!