Why were the first TV screens so small?

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I have often wondered why they weren't larger. Thanks. :)

Zorba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3m(28.2E),1.5m(19.2E.13E,10E),1m (4W ,7W)1m (?).diseqc 10,sky plus,VU+,telergy iptv.
Satlook nit colour + Horizon hdsm.
My Location
Limassol, Sunny Cyprus
Something to do about the limited scanning of the picture.If the screen was bigger with the system they used,the picture would have been very distorted.Even now the glass tube type screen has a limit because of the scanning from left to right and from top to bottom.I think.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Saturlight said:
I have often wondered why they weren't larger. Thanks. :)

Probably cos they were developed from valves, which, although large by today's standards, were quite small back then, or they just couldn't figure out how to make them bigger & better... :D

I'm sure someone here knows exactly why though... :p

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
EHT generation in early sets was mains derived - whacking great transformers (before line output transformers).
It would have been impractical this way to generate the huge voltages needed for larger screens in domestic TVs.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Couple that with the relative cost expense of glass, and the knowhow in 'blowing' a big tube with square(ish) edges.

digdog

Reaction score
My Location
Doghouse
And many enthusiasts built their own using War Surplus bits such as radar tubes - there were magazines such as Practical Television which gave pretty full instructions -and loads of shops selling surplus valve and electrical bits and even full kits. Costs for the most modest TV were horrendous - and they took quite a few minutes to warm up and settle down to show a watchable picture.

Technology was in its infancy and as others have said the techniques to generate sufficient eht and manufacture large screen tv tubes were not known back then.

It was good fun to strap a huge magnifying glass on a 9" screen to try and kid everyone it was a 12" - and even more fun to sit at the side and see the distortions this arrangement displayed.

Oh, and there was only one channel until about 1953 - happy days...... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
digdog said:
Oh, and there was only one channel until about 1953 - happy days...... :)

I remember at school the teacher asked if we knew what the first TV channel was called (and most of the eejits said "BBC one", but I don't remember the actual answer), so, erm, anyone know what it used to be called? :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
The cabinet's used to be so large, they made the TV set look like a sideboard. The TV screen was more or less secondary! :D

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North Tyneside
2cvbloke said:
I remember at school the teacher asked if we knew what the first TV channel was called (and most of the eejits said "BBC one", but I don't remember the actual answer), so, erm, anyone know what it used to be called? :D

Crystal Palace and Alistair, wasn't it? Sorry, that was Crystal Tips and Alistair! :D

Maybe, it was the Home Channel.