Widescreen issue

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-02 AT 10:58 AM (GMT)]I have a 4.3 TV. When I watch channels such as BB1, BBC NEWS 24, ITV on Skydigital I have letterbox mode ON. I know this is the right option for these widescreen channels. Now on to the european channels, do you know whichm popular channels broadcast in Widescreen so I can have letterbox mode ON and give me a perfect letterbox picture. I know that channels such as MTV are not in Widescreen even thw video's have letterbox format.

Q) Do you know which channels on HOTBIRD/ASTRA broadcast in Widescreen, where I can use the letter box mode ON facility???

Shahid

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
Dear Widescreen Experts

firstly I have a normal TV 4.3
On the Skydigital platform the BBC broadcast most of there programming in
the Widescreen format 16.9 , hence when I watch these channels I have picture settings
to letter box mode ON. This gives me the full picture as it was meant to be, but with black bars at the top
because it is a 4.3 TV. The image of broadcast is much better when I watch with these settings.

Now on to my question, do you know which popular channels on Astra19.2 and hotbird13.0 broadcast
in Widescreen so when I put letterbox mode ON , on my nokia9800S I will get the same benefits.

Thank you in advance.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Whats important is the conection between the satellite receiver and the TV, and what type. If these are known, configured correctly and the TV is one set up with the correct protocol and then it will automatically run in the right mode.

What are you using, (there must be a Sky digibox and one other receiver), is there anything such as a DVD player or VCR conected in between

Are you using fully wired SCARTto SCART cable or somethig - Y/C, Coax - in between

Are the TV and receiver(s) enabled for full RGB or just plain composite.

If the TV is an old type or does not configure with a prompt from the remote then the actors/actresses will look either short, (or long in the bed scenes)

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
>I have a 4.3 TV. When I watch channels such as BB1, BBC NEWS
>24, ITV on Skydigital I have letterbox mode ON. I know this
>is the right option for these widescreen channels.

Wrong. And you will thank me for putting you right on this.

How I explain it, is something different; however, I will try.

I will use my SONY TV as the example.

You should set your TV to 16:9 mode. You should connect your TV to the digibox with a fully functional SCART cable (i.e., all pins from one end to the other).

As the scan on the tv collapses for a 16:9 broadcast - you will see a noticeable difference in quality to the same image viewed with the 'letterbox' option activated; albeit, on a SONY you have the added excitement of a few grey scan lines thrown in by the set (for extra pleasure!!). Even professional SONY monitors do it !!

I have never actually been able to explain this difference, because its not un-technical enough to explain. But, it is true.

Try it and get back to me.

I will be honest NOW and say that I keep my own settings on 4:3 letterbox, only because I record a lot of stuff. Recording Anamorphic w/s leads to all sorts of nasty things - like in vision video head-switching (or tearing at the bottom of the 16:9 screen edge). Not nice. Try that too :-)

Glad that you haven't jumped ship to 16:9 sets. Good bloke :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.

P.S. I hope you don't have a 100Hz nasty thing, else just forget what I have just said :-) Not that that is important - I just don't like 100Hz TV's.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Jan-02 AT 03:44 AM (GMT)]>>I have a 4.3 TV. When I watch channels such as BB1, BBC NEWS
>>24, ITV on Skydigital I have letterbox mode ON. I know this
>>is the right option for these widescreen channels.
>
>Wrong. And you will thank me for putting you right on this.

I think you have mis understood me, I have no options on my TV for letter box mode. I mean I have letter box mode ON, on the digibox for widescreen transmissions.

SKY even say that if you watch widescreen and have a 4.3 tv use letter box ON.

>

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 10-Jan-02 AT 10:52 AM (GMT)]mljgmljg you are so right. I have a Sony as well with the 16.9 button that in reality just crushes the picture from top to bottom. But when you press it with the digibox settings to widescreen it evens it out to a better widescreen picture then Sky sugest. Also no flickering on top of the screen as before. now the scart also swithes automatically. Thankyou you very much for you help mljgmljg.

Shahid

I love widescreen broadcasts, but not on a widescreen TV.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
mljgmljg , but you do lose picture from top & bottom. But I still prefer your way.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London UK
BBC News 24 not in WS BBC News 24 is not in W/S. Why you may ask? reason being that when you see the presenters in the studio that is in W/S. but when the go to a news report that is transmitted in some other method because I get black bars on the side during the reports, but not the studio scences. BBC knowledge is in W/S but not BBC2 when teletubbies is on. The same goes to ITV when Trisha is on.
What is the BBC up to? I think they have forgot to use proper W/S cameras for the newsreporters on the road.

shahid

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
I've got a 100hz Sony television the KVFX29tu which I use even today I believe this was the best Tv Sony ever made.

For picture quality it beats the shit out of all the modern Tv's