Will A Home Recorded DVD Play in USA ?

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I have recorded from spanish television a series of tv programmes onto a DVD-r disc from a Panasonic DMR E55 DVD recorder,so it is recorded in Pal tv system.The disc has been Finalised in the recorder and now shows as DVD-V same as any pre-recorded shop bought DVD disc. This disc is obviously region free,but will this disc play on a dvd player in america which has the NTSC tv standard......i am sure it will,but need conformation from someone that knows for a fact that it should.................thanks....brian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Well I can play all region DVDs on my player, the region one DVDs are labelled NTSC, but play fine on my TV, I believe that it has more to do with the output of the DVD player, so if it can read the disc, then it will output in whatever format it is designed to.

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Chaparral receiver Irte 1.8m Dish
I have a region one DVD Player I imported from the USA and this will not play Pal discs with no regional coding,
rolfw said:
Well I can play all region DVDs on my player, the region one DVDs are labelled NTSC, but play fine on my TV, I believe that it has more to do with the output of the DVD player, so if it can read the disc, then it will output in whatever format it is designed to.

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Thanks for the replies,after posting the question i checked out a DVD help-site....it seems most pal/european dvd players will play ntsc dvd's on a pal or ntsc television,but a USA/ntsc player will only play a ntsc disc, very few if any will play a pal disc,and by longreach's reply above this seems to be the case......thanks

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishdoctor check your private messages!
dishdoctor said:
Thanks for the replies,after posting the question i checked out a DVD help-site....it seems most pal/european dvd players will play ntsc dvd's on a pal or ntsc television,but a USA/ntsc player will only play a ntsc disc, very few if any will play a pal disc,and by longreach's reply above this seems to be the case......thanks

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Check your messages Dishdoctor

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
Two steps ahead of you!...........very useful......i will email my USA buyer with all the info..............thanks

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
The trouble is, NTSC and PAL frame rates are different, at 30 and 25 Hz respectively, and therefore incompatible.

A DVD player is "designed" primarily for either the PAL or NTSC frame rate. Many will also "play" discs of the other type, but with some compromise (drop frame for NTSC on PAL, speeded up for PAL on NTSC), so it won't look so good!

It's true that actual PAL and NTSC are not used on DVDs, just MPEG, but this frame rate difference remains, as a "legacy problem".

longreach

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Already sorted!
spiney said:
The trouble is, NTSC and PAL frame rates are different, at 30 and 25 Hz respectively, and therefore incompatible.

A DVD player is "designed" primarily for either the PAL or NTSC frame rate. Many will also "play" discs of the other type, but with some compromise (drop frame for NTSC on PAL, speeded up for PAL on NTSC), so it won't look so good!

It's true that actual PAL and NTSC are not used on DVDs, just MPEG, but this frame rate difference remains, as a "legacy problem".

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
sorted, yes, but I'm just saying you'll get variable results!

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Actually there are many DVD players in the USA that will actually play either a recorded region free or a region 2 coded disc.

Pioneer USA DVD have a "remote" region code that will allow the playback of region encoded discs - output will be NTSC from the player.

My own USA (110 volt) Pioneer 626D will actually play discs from any region or region free discs.

Philips USA several DVD players have a similar option.
etc etc.

What player in the USA do you need to play your disc on?

Kind Regards

Old satellite