will i be able to pick anything up?

pscl227

Reaction score
will i be able to pick up any channels if i buy an old analogue reciever on ebay for £4, yes u heard me right, and i plug it into my sky minidish or is it too small to be of any use, thanks guys

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
psc1227

I don't think you'll get anything of any note especially pointing at 28.2E. Everything you read about on here is geared towards digital so, you could find it too frustrating.

prof

Reaction score
My Location
In the spare room.
If you point your dish at 19.2 degrees east there are still a number of channels available,
mini dish should be ok, depending on your location.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Or my site

http://www.analoguesat.co.uk

A minidish will give you the stronger transponders on 19E, 13E and possibly 5W and 16E.

You will have to re-align the dish, and make sure the analogue receiver is one of those which will accept a LNB frequency of 9750 MHz. Early ones wont accept this frequency.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I have just got hold of a 43cm zone 1 minidish, and have been testing it with various old analogue receivers.

You will easily get all the transponders off 19E, although the Astra 1B channels are a bit rough.

Other experiments have shown that Hotbird is generally poor, although a couple of the stronger transponders are ok (DWTV is fine)

5W for the French stuff is fine

16E only get ESC1

30W - no problems receiving the mainly scrambled Canal+ channel

5E - can get the Astra 1 test cards ok, although quality isnt brilliant. Even get the Sirius promo channel.

42E - can only get Show TV, and the quality is awful.

Am in the middle of testing the digital channels, but I have been surprised at how strong some of the digital channels come in on some of the weaker satellites.

Full results will be posted on my website when I have the time to write them up.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nice information Analoguesat, I use the zone2 minidish for most of my European satellite jobs now and also on small motorised systems, the only thing is that the LNB case needs to be doctored to achieve zero skew.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I have found the tiny dish remarkably easy to aim when hunting analogue signals. The acceptance angle of the dish is so big that its *literally* a case of waving the dish around in roughly the right direction, and a picture appears in a matter of seconds! Then just fine tune the dish for the best reception.

I use a portable tv for my satellite hunting, and it lives on a window sill where I can see the tv from the dish in the garden. Makes finding new channels VERY easy :)

Then the dish is dropped onto a car tyre (it looks very silly!) for a slightly more permanent solution for the evening channel hunting.