Will I never learn?

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
After weeks of absolutely no problems, in a fit of stupidity (happens often), I decided to update to the Zeus Hydra image.

Update OK, flash erased fine - restarted, lost all the satellite settings ALL of them. Well surely I backed them up? Er well no!

After spending a couple of hours fiddling I decided to go back and re-install Angharad - flash erased and everything was back... ALLl the satellite ALL the positions ALL the EMUs.

See, there is a Christmas spirit - taking bets on how long before I get wandering fingers again....

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
gameboy said:
After weeks of absolutely no problems, in a fit of stupidity (happens often), I decided to update to the Zeus Hydra image.

Update OK, flash erased fine - restarted, lost all the satellite settings ALL of them. Well surely I backed them up? Er well no!

After spending a couple of hours fiddling I decided to go back and re-install Angharad - flash erased and everything was back... ALLl the satellite ALL the positions ALL the EMUs.

See, there is a Christmas spirit - taking bets on how long before I get wandering fingers again....

Welcome to Zeus,
Some of the delights are:
I pressed mute without knowing, zapped thru MVs and it froze; reboot.
Too many reboots with Zeus . . . . . .
I think one has to wait 2 secs after doing something before doing anything new.

Most of my DB troubles are caused by doing things I didnt need to do;
- like mounting usb stick
- and then using hdd as /var store
- downloading softcams I will never use. (Why d'load another coax cam when newcamd does it perfectly? I still dont know the answer.)
- downloading the Australian weather forecast.
I recall my brother in law forbidding me to set the colour saturation properly on his TV. he's a good solid Yorks Dales man. He said if I turned it down, it might never come back. He had the right attitude.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
That'l learn Ya :p

Actually after 7 or 8 yrs of trouble free tracking, 6 mths ago I decided to just give the mount & dish a tweak and lost a lot of the arc.

Many hours of walking on the conservatory roof later (she liked that lots)
got it back to EXACTLY how it was without any difference at all.

Yep we will never learn. :)

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
haggard said:
- and then using hdd as /var store

I think that's what saved me as all the setting were in there and hadn't been flash erased.

Afraid I'm one of those people that thinks if you take anything broken apart (look at it) then put it together again it'll be fixed. Works sometimes...

Had the DreamBox open within hours - what the h*ll it was fun anyway!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I wait for other idiots to open their Dreambox, and then ask them to post pictures! :p

lovelyperson

Dreamer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2.0m PF dish
1.8m PF Famaval
1.8m PF Marrafa
1.4m Tecatel offset
1.2m dish + Stab HH120
TBS 5925 USB
Octagon SF8008 4k Twin
GTMedia V8 UHD
GTMedia GTcombos x 2
Goldmaster SR525 HD
Sat-illimitè F300 hyper
62.0ºE - 63.0ºW
My Location
Alicante, España
gameboy said:
After weeks of absolutely no problems, in a fit of stupidity .....

:rolleyes: Now THAT sounds familiar.

I can now say that I am glad and did fiddle with the DB. cos after a 'fit of stupidity' on serveral occasions I now know what to do.

........thinks we call it a learning curve. :-bash

All enjoy your Christmas.

:-righton lovelyperson

djlemur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7000 + 300Gb + Gemini, HH100 Rotor, 0.8m Offset Dish, 0.3db Invacom LNB
My Location
Hampshire, UK
gameboy said:
...I think that's what saved me as all the setting were in there and hadn't been flash erased...
FWIW, When I upgraded to Zeus, the DB became horribly unstable. Then I removed the The_Hydra directory from the HDD, together with a few other plugin config directories and reflashed...bingo...I now have a stable Zeus that drives the Sat dish no problems again. It still has the "hang" on channel hopping too quickly (when using newcamd) though.

...and yes I have also opened up the DB, and added a few caps here and there!