Will unterminated splitter legs cause ghosting?

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Hi,New to the forum, but hoping someone can help with a new satellite setup I have planned for my house.

I've just had the floorboards up in my house and laid plenty of cable for satellite sockets on the walls of most rooms. Some of the larger rooms have two satellite sockets at either end (triplexed), so if I decide to change the position of the TV & receiver, I wont have long cable runs down the length of the room.

I have 12 wall sockets in total. I do not plan on having all 12 connected at once. I just want the flexibility to be able to site the sat receiver(s) wherever.

I was hoping to use the labgear HDU681 to mix my satellite / fm / dab / & cctv down one cable, and then split them at the wall using triplex plates.The only problem is, the HDU681, only has 8 (9?) outputs. I'm sure labgear used to make a model that has 12 outputs, but I can't find it listed anywhere.

The only option I can think of, is to use uhf passive splitters on some of the labgear outputs, enabling me to connect two wall plates to one HDU681 output.

I think I read somewhere that if you only use one output of a splitter, without terminating the unused output, then you get reflected singnals bouncing back to the splitter that bleeds through to the other (connected output).Is this correct?

Will I have to terminate the unused wall plate to stop it interferring with the connected wall plate? How would I do this?

Or are there splitteres that can be bought with do not have this problem?

Thanks.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Found this Labgear jobbie.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=SE00688

Not the same part number so perhaps it's a replacement model? There's also a 16 output version available. There are also different manufacturers available, Antiference, Hirschmann, Triax.

I'm sure there are other stockists as well.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you want your system to be really flexible, then you need to go the route that Paul has mentioned, this multiswitch will provide a Satellite, UHF and DAB/FM feed to every point (you can use a simple combiner to add in the CCTV modulated feed), the switch you mention above will not. To use this type of multiswitch., you need a Quattro LNB on your dish, if it is a minidish, you will need to change it for a standard design. If you buy a 16 output unit, then it will allow you to serve some rooms with two satellite feeds for Sky+ or Sky HD.

To terminate unused outlets on the switch or a splitter, use one of these.

Attachments

• 7808big.gif
    7808big.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 35

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Thanks guys.

I found this post here: http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/tutorials-how-guides/41947-multiswitches.html

Basically it states (correct me if wrong) that if you're going to have more than one sat receiver feeding off the same LNB, then you need a multiswitch with a quattro LNB and four cables from the LNB to the multiswitch, so the multiswitch can decide which band / polarisation to switch in to the output that has requested it (via the sat receiver).

Is this correct?

Then why does the labgear HDU681 (8 output) only have provision for 1 (or 2 ?) LNB cable runs ?? Surley, if a sat receiver requests a band / polarisation that another sat receiver is using then one of the receivers is going to miss some channels when the LNB switches?

Confused.........

Back to the original post. The labgear catalogue states that you can use a multiplexer with the 12 way multiswitch to mix UHF (tv), DAB & FM befire the UHF input on the multiswitch. I think this would solve my problem as you have both suggested (correct if wrong).

Would like to know what I've misunderstood about the HDU681 & multiple sat receivers though...

Thanks.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Your first point is correct.

The HDU681 ia not a switch but a distribution amp, it only gives a satellite feed to one room, all of the others outputs are TV and radio only.

You can as the Labgear catalogue says, combing the TV and radio bands using a triplexer.

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm sure you're right, but the poster above will not be using a cascadable multiswitch, so a standard 75ohm terminator will be fine.