Will USB - Serial Cable work? Which Reciever?

ViReN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Box-»SrarTrack
World in Box(S170EC)
Soft-»(STM_A6690)
Sat's-»13.0E,26.0E,95.0E,105.5E
My Location
_Ξ-Middle East-Ξ_ -»Oman
Hi Sat Guru's

First, I tried to search with Keywords as USB, programming, But the only results i got were of USB Satellite Reciever.

My Question is (i have a laptop) and it does not contain any serial post. However, I have a USB to Serial (male) Adapter Cable..... Will it work to program the Satellite Recievers ?

I have been to market looking for New Satellite Recievers and I have access to "TechnoSat" Brand of recievers with following models

1) Technosat 777
2) Technosat 888
3) Technosat 1100
4) Technosat 5500
5) Technosat 6000
6) Technosat IR7000
7) Technosat 9050

All of these have female RS232. My mission is to get a reciever that will allow programming to view *Crypted* Channels (as max as possible)

I am not interested in Card Programming (if the above mission is solved without use of card)

Which of the above reciever is most suitable?

Thanks in Advance

Regards,
ViReN

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Have you got the usb to serial cable working ok on other pieces of equipment ? If so it should be ok on the sat box.

The reason I ask is that I bought one for my lappy - it ended up in the bin after trying countless drivers. On the dreambox the serial port is only used to update the image. I borrow a lappy with a serial port about once every 3 months to do this. For cams and key updates the serial port is not used.

Hope this helps you

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
I haven't tried this, but .......

The older type RS232 serial port just transmits/receives sequential "bytes" in asynchronous format (start and stop bits added), basically it's the serial port of a UART chip. USB is more complicated, with a device addressing system (very like Appletalk).

Voltage levels should be compatible for slow speeds, even though it's a balanced/unbalanced connection. The question is, can you either turn off device addressing (operate in "older serial mode"), or if not will the Technosat just ignore it?

ViReN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Box-»SrarTrack
World in Box(S170EC)
Soft-»(STM_A6690)
My Location
_Ξ-Middle East-Ξ_ -»Oman
Hi,

Thanks for replies.

The New generation recievers will be able to detect the New type of Serial port ?

Which STB's have USB Interface for programming / uploading data ?

(Dream Boxes ?)

brewby

Reaction score
What seems to be missing here (and very important too) is the mention of the 'null' modem cable required to upload to the recievers.

I use a usb/serial adaptor cable that I use on my laptop and it works very well, the adaption is taken care of by an inline box (what it exactly does is a mystery to me!).

However when using a usb/serial cable/adaptor one must NOT allow windows to install the driver. this is because the driver windows install is generic and does not work with the adaptor. Always use the driver supplied.

ViReN

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Box-»SrarTrack
World in Box(S170EC)
Soft-»(STM_A6690)
My Location
_Ξ-Middle East-Ξ_ -»Oman
Great tip brewby ... I will take this in to consideration. (also, if you could let me know which brand of cable are you using?)

1) Technosat 777
2) Technosat 888
3) Technosat 1100
4) Technosat 5500
5) Technosat 6000
6) Technosat IR7000
7) Technosat 9050

Any Idea on which of the above mentioned recievers to be used?

brewby

Reaction score
I got mine off Fleabay, if you search for item number
877371144 it will take you to it.

I understand that all recievers with a serial port have to be used with a 'null' modem cable item number 5877905648.

Please note I am not the vendor of these cables (just in case the mods think I am)

Hope it helps
Brewby

RFA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i dont know
My Location
saudi arabia
actually i tried this put the problem is that i coudn't set the port and i dont know hot to solve this problem
when i connect the receiver to my laptop no any effect that shows they are connected togther
any body can help please